Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Personally I'm not a fan of assistance programs like that.The ARC has for years pushed for assistance programs in LMI Appalachian regions with no tangible benefit occurring other than a new building or two, roads to no where, that sort of thing.

It's not that I don't believe in providing temporary assistance to those who truly need it- that's not the point. The point is that there are a lot of factors involved in creating an economic environment that sustains itself, and sustenance from the government is often times not the answer. As a matter of fact the opposite effect often occurs- a cycle of dependency and hand-outs.

I moved from WV to Montana a few years ago and one thing that strikes me as eerily familiar here is the reservation system. There is A LOT in common between some of those and impoverished Appalachia.

As for the article- what a disservice to WV. It takes no account of the positive economic conditions found elsewhere. It only serves to highlight the minority population stereotype of the state, and that is very poor journalism. Shame on ABC and their affiliates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
A

Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 AM

552 posts, read 738,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Personally I'm not a fan of assistance programs like that.The ARC has for years pushed for assistance programs in LMI Appalachian regions with no tangible benefit occurring other than a new building or two, roads to no where, that sort of thing.

It's not that I don't believe in providing temporary assistance to those who truly need it- that's not the point. The point is that there are a lot of factors involved in creating an economic environment that sustains itself, and sustenance from the government is often times not the answer. As a matter of fact the opposite effect often occurs- a cycle of dependency and hand-outs.

I moved from WV to Montana a few years ago and one thing that strikes me as eerily familiar here is the reservation system. There is A LOT in common between some of those and impoverished Appalachia.

As for the article- what a disservice to WV. It takes no account of the positive economic conditions found elsewhere. It only serves to highlight the minority population stereotype of the state, and that is very poor journalism. Shame on ABC and their affiliates.
I still have to disagree there is a difference between government assistance through welfare/social security and helping to build a new hospital or dmv etc. These provide jobs where welfare is temporary relief. While I am against healthy men in their 20's getting welfare I think most assistance goes to those that need it, I sure know my friends don't get any help. People think it is easy to get and it really isn't. But I think the state needs to help these areas and also invest in the faster growing areas to fight these negative stereotypes. But I'm curious as to what you mean by handouts.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I still have to disagree there is a difference between government assistance through welfare/social security and helping to build a new hospital or dmv etc. These provide jobs where welfare is temporary relief. While I am against healthy men in their 20's getting welfare I think most assistance goes to those that need it, I sure know my friends don't get any help. People think it is easy to get and it really isn't. But I think the state needs to help these areas and also invest in the faster growing areas to fight these negative stereotypes. But I'm curious as to what you mean by handouts.
The problem is the state doesnt have a clue.

A little funding in Morgantown would quickly result in large increases to the state's budget from the increased economic activity and they could use that money to help Southern WV out.

If WV invested in the strong areas of the state it would be doing a lot better.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
You build a hospital when the population density requires it, you don't build density by building a hospital.

You have to have an overall environment that is favorable for economic growth- first. That is accomplished by people, their elected representatives, the state, etc..

The only way infrastructure investment leads to development is when it is either massive in scale- such as the interstate highway system or it is a combination of what was stated above. Modify the tax codes, create incentives, clean up tort abuses, etc.

Handouts come in many forms- welfare for those not truly deserving and new 'buildings' that promise deliverence from economic morass. That's my point.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You build a hospital when the population density requires it, you don't build density by building a hospital.

You have to have an overall environment that is favorable for economic growth- first. That is accomplished by people, their elected representatives, the state, etc..

The only way infrastructure investment leads to development is when it is either massive in scale- such as the interstate highway system or it is a combination of what was stated above. Modify the tax codes, create incentives, clean up tort abuses, etc.

Handouts come in many forms- welfare for those not truly deserving and new 'buildings' that promise deliverence from economic morass. That's my point.
That is exactly what ive been saying.

The state government wants to stop growth in Morgantown, by not spending any state funds there, and stop the decline of other parts of WV by spending all the state funds there. They fail to realize that is caused by an actual economy and not welfare and handouts, so Morgantown continues to grow while most of the state keeps shrinking.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM

552 posts, read 738,879 times
Handouts come in many forms- welfare for those not truly deserving and new 'buildings' that promise deliverence from economic morass. That's my point.[/quote]

How many people in West Virginia do you think are on welfare? For starters you have to be poor and have children. For men it is much harder, you have to be homeless to get food stamps. To get disability you have to prove that you are disabled and often times wait 1 to 2 years to get it. On top of all that it isn't a glorified position to make 200 a month. Sure people get away with fraud, but this isn't sonething that a lot if people strive for. Not sure why going after the poor has become so popular these days.

I also disagree with infrastructure projects being handouts. Your telling me that putting funds towards hiring locals is a handout? I've never been to that neck of the woods, but looking at their economic statistics I can only assume that they have aging hospitals, schools, pipes, etc. I'm sure they could use some type of infrastucture upgrade along with the rest of the state. Instead of letting coal companies get by on low state taxes maybe we could get some of these projects done.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:10 PM

As McDowell was asked about recently I think this thread is relevant again.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
As McDowell was asked about recently I think this thread is relevant again.
12-16-2011 Cry Havoc states:

Morgantown does not need state money. It is doing fine on its own. What Morgantown does need is the roads the state is obligated to build and should build. By building the roads the economy in Morgantown will further improve and the money will flow back to Charleston from taxes. The politicians than can waste the money as they see fit.

Your a bit of a Contradictory person.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Basically all I read with this thread is a bunch of nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia