Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,493,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They did not get a poor education because of a break in the summer. I'm pretty sure you had a summer break. Are you also saying that you had a poor education?

When the weather turned nice kids quit paying attention to school with their main thoughts being to get outside.
I spent most of my summers a various "summer scholars" programs in colleges around the region, as well as several leadership camps such as boys state. Also, I'd say my education was fairly strong. I took mainly advanced, honors, and ap courses from middle school on, however this is certainly not the norm, especially in WV.

Also, I'm not sure how many kids over the age of 10 value playing outside anymore, especially with the internet and video games commanding their attention. Not saying its a good thing, but it is a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,052,264 times
It's inefficient to not use the summer months for constructive activity. There is a huge capital outlay for facilities and faculty. It used to be that kids got summer jobs and did other positive stuff. These days, those jobs are largely going to illegal aliens, or even adults who are struggling to make it due to government forcing American workers to compete with ever cheaper labor sources.

In addition, where the younger people were once taught to be responsible, that is no longer the case. The feel good folks have made it an adult responsibility to support kids until they are 25 years old now, so they have no reason to grow up. They are actually being conditioned to be immature until the mid 20s. We are the only country in the world that does this.

With that in mind, using the summers to improve education makes every sense.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
I spent most of my summers a various "summer scholars" programs in colleges around the region, as well as several leadership camps such as boys state. Also, I'd say my education was fairly strong. I took mainly advanced, honors, and ap courses from middle school on, however this is certainly not the norm, especially in WV.

Also, I'm not sure how many kids over the age of 10 value playing outside anymore, especially with the internet and video games commanding their attention. Not saying its a good thing, but it is a reality.
Now you are hurting the case for year around schooling.

Ignore this poster must people benefit from year around schooling.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,971 times
I am ABSOLUTELY AGAINST this program. Kids are no longer allowed to be children! They are burnt out by the time they reach 2nd grade. If they go to the year round school, my children will most definitely be home-schooled. I have the education to support such needs, and all three of my children are principal's list students. My son in high school has a 4.0 GPA; my middle school son has a 3.8 GPA; and I have a 1st grader who is above average in everything. They work hard, but I love that they get out and play hard too, without my having to beg them! We don't want our kids sitting in front of a tv/game system all day during the Summer, so why in the world do we want them sitting in a classroom when there is a limitless world out there to explore and learn from in such gorgeous weather? The classroom is NOT the only place a child gains knowledge! It's also through hands-on experience, such as play, exploration, and yes, even downtime!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,153,334 times
There is plenty of evidence that supports the year round school schedule. I hope the entire State goes to this model.

I think the biggest hurdle to people adopting the year round school schedule is the illogical thought of "that's not the way it was done when I was in school...". The world changes and change is a good thing. People just want to have something to complain about all the time.

Also, when you mention year round school, I think a lot of people think that the children will be in school all 365 days of the year. That is the not the case. The school year will still be 180 days of instruction.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Now you are hurting the case for year around schooling.

Ignore this poster must people benefit from year around schooling.
I said I wasn't the norm. And it would be close to impossible for lower income kids to replicate what I did.

Also, such programs could continue to exist since there is the same amount of down time, its just spread more throughout the year. Most places that do balanced scheduling seem to do 2 week breaks.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy.plummer View Post
I am ABSOLUTELY AGAINST this program. Kids are no longer allowed to be children! They are burnt out by the time they reach 2nd grade. If they go to the year round school, my children will most definitely be home-schooled. I have the education to support such needs, and all three of my children are principal's list students. My son in high school has a 4.0 GPA; my middle school son has a 3.8 GPA; and I have a 1st grader who is above average in everything. They work hard, but I love that they get out and play hard too, without my having to beg them! We don't want our kids sitting in front of a tv/game system all day during the Summer, so why in the world do we want them sitting in a classroom when there is a limitless world out there to explore and learn from in such gorgeous weather? The classroom is NOT the only place a child gains knowledge! It's also through hands-on experience, such as play, exploration, and yes, even downtime!!!!!!
There would still be the same amount of downtime; it would just be spread in a more equitable manner throughout the year.

here is how the two schedules breakdown

http://www.nayre.org/calendar_comparison.htm

And the balanced schedule can be adjusted to fit different areas, like here in Raleigh Co, they might reduce Summer a bit more and add it to winter to help combat snow-days

Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,776 times
Many newly-hired teachers currently use the summers to get advanced degrees. That's nearly impossible with only six weeks in the summer break.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Many newly-hired teachers currently use the summers to get advanced degrees. That's nearly impossible with only six weeks in the summer break.
It would close down the area pools as there would be nobody attending them and no one to work them. Many kids make money to attend school by working at places like Cedar Point. You can rule that out. It would actually be difficult for places like that to stay open.

The graph above is bogus at that. In general summer break is more than 60 days.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Most teachers entering the field today are taking advantage of a 4+1 bachelors/masters degree program.

And there are online and night class options available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia