Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I think this might have been the point of contention. Sometimes you still say "here" when talking about Morgantown, but regular posters know that you now live in Montgomery County, MD. Maybe he/she thought your wife was unhappy with DC area shopping and that's why they suggested Leesburg?
Yes, I understand what you are saying, and I always consider myself a WV first. Despite living in Moco.

I have two homes. WV is always first. If I lived in China I would still consider WV home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM

11 posts, read 18,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route50guy View Post
There are several from Parkersburg on this forum. I've lived here and in northern WV in general most of my life. I've been to San Diego and the LA area several times, and yes, you will be in for a big culture shock. Shopping is going to be about the same here as in any other WV city, not a whole lot to write home about. Grand Central Mall is at the heart of the shopping center/restaurant district where Parkersburg and the city of Vienna meet. Most of the retail and restaurants are located on or near Grand Central Avenue, which is the busiest street in West Virginia according to state statistics. But people here generally drive to Columbus or Pittsburgh to do any serious shopping, both a couple hours away. We do have several decent Mexican restaurants but of course nothing like southern California has. Parkersburg was recently ranked as the 7th safest city in America. There is very little crime to be found here, even in the more run-down parts of town. All in all, Parkersburg is a nice city, with some beautiful historical residential areas, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

What are areas (I guess cross streets) in parkersburg that have nicer apartments? Or the "nicer" areas?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM

I am only asking because it is quite hard finding an apartment in WV online. Lol!
When you look up apartments in CA (I've only had to look for apartments here) you get pictures of the apartment, a map of the apartment layout, if it is animal friendly, apartment amenities, etc etc.
When I look up apartments in WV, you get the name of the apartment and a number. Haha!!
Come to find out.....a few of the places I have found, turn out to be "section 8" apartments.
It seems to be more difficult to find apartments in WV than I thought it would be.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
I say your best bet would be to call the landlord and ask them questions about the apartment. I imagine actually looking at the apartment in person would be very cost prohibitive given you live over 2000 miles away. Also, if it is owned by a rental agency I suggest looking up reviews on that agency to avoid renting a place owned by a slumlord. Anyways, best of luck on your move

Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I say your best bet would be to call the landlord and ask them questions about the apartment. I imagine actually looking at the apartment in person would be very cost prohibitive given you live over 2000 miles away. Also, if it is owned by a rental agency I suggest looking up reviews on that agency to avoid renting a place owned by a slumlord. Anyways, best of luck on your move

Your advice is much appreciated!
Thank you!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:37 PM

282 posts, read 484,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORSE_LOVER2132 View Post
What are areas (I guess cross streets) in parkersburg that have nicer apartments? Or the "nicer" areas?
I'm not real sure about where the best apartments are but the nicest neighborhoods are in Vienna/North Hills all the way north to Williamstown and Marietta. The Lubeck/Blennerhasset/Washington area (which is more southwest of downtown) and the Pettyville/Mineral Wells area (which is more southeast) are also decent. I would try to get something in those areas. Don't expect a whole lot because the town isn't that big and it doesn't pretend to be. The Parkersburg/Marietta area stretches for about 20-25 miles running mostly along the Ohio River, up to a mile or two "inland". But most of us who live here like the smaller town way of life, with the option of taking a 2 hour drive to larger cities when we need or want to.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Like many older cities, a lot of the rentals are owned by landlords who own just one or two or a few units. You won't find very many of the large apartment complexes you're used to, with hundreds of units.

I would expect a fair percentage of the rentals available will be older single-family homes that have been converted to 2 or 3 unit apartments. Often each unit is one floor. These can be very nice, since the houses were probably well built to begin with, and usually have a yard, a detached garage behind the house, etc.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Like many older cities, a lot of the rentals are owned by landlords who own just one or two or a few units. You won't find very many of the large apartment complexes you're used to, with hundreds of units.

I would expect a fair percentage of the rentals available will be older single-family homes that have been converted to 2 or 3 unit apartments. Often each unit is one floor. These can be very nice, since the houses were probably well built to begin with, and usually have a yard, a detached garage behind the house, etc.

Well that explains a lot. HAHA!!
I was wondering why I could not find apartments with pictures ANYWHERE on the internet.
This information is helping a TON!!
I appreciate it so much.

Does anyone know of the best way to find an apartment via internet?
Besides Craigslist*

Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM

282 posts, read 484,875 times
There are some places. Here are a few:

Lakeview Estates | 304-422-8433
Avery Court
http://parkersburgapartments.com/ash.htm
http://parkersburgapartments.com/trem.htm

I have also noticed three fairly large apartment complexes, at least that's what I think they are, going up in the Mineral Wells area close to Woodridge Planation golf course, but haven't been able to find anything on the web about them. You can see where they are being built on Google Earth at the coordinates of 89.10.17.06 N, 81.31.57.66 W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia