Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:30 PM
x1x x1x started this thread

227 posts, read 805,721 times

Advertisements

Thanks H.L. However i was more interested in if there were any fish in the creek? I acquired some small lots with a creek border and just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
Default Crystal WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about a town called Crystal located on RT.11 or Crane Road in WV.
I was born and raised in Crystal WV. At one time, it was a beautiful place. Many children attended the one room school house there. It did have a couple of small stores at one time. However, they are not there any more. Many of the houses were not kept very well and now have disappeared.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
x1x if you're concerned about water quality, you can do some inquiries here...

Water | EPA
WVCA - West Virginia Conservation Agency | www.wvca.us

I haven't been able to find the WV equivalent of the dept of environmental conservation, but that's how we went about it in NY to check my moms well for stream runnoff contamination. They test water for wells annually for free up north. Not sure who would be doing that here, if at all.
The other option you'd have is obtaining samples yourself and sending them out to private labs for screening contaminants. Not sure what residuals would be left over in operations because I don't understand mining all that well. Sorry I couldn't help more.
May be stretching the subject but...
My grandma lived in an tiny old ex-coal mining town. Remember visiting in my youth and the big creek/stream which ran by her house was a dark yellow. (I was from NE Ohio and had never seen yellow water anywhere else). I don't mean it had a yellow tint. I mean it was as yellow as yellow can get (must have been sulphur runoff from the old abandoned mine). She moved to a senior home so I wasn't back at her home for several years. After her funeral, went to the old homestead. Was stunned to discover the creek/stream looked like one should and it was gorgeous.

Someone must be doing something right. Assume it was the state's Abandoned Mine project. Yea for them!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,968 times
My mom also was born on Belcher mountain her last name was Taylor. I also walked down the pint to Thornhill and if you walked the other way you would walk down to Crystal P.O Where my Aunt Beckie Lived

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 13,421 times
Default Taylors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassnevay View Post
My mom also was born on Belcher mountain her last name was Taylor. I also walked down the pint to Thornhill and if you walked the other way you would walk down to Crystal P.O Where my Aunt Beckie Lived
My mom's father was Allen Taylor, brother of Ed Taylor who married to Belle and was the father of Becky Taylor, we would always stop and see Becky and Woodrow. Becky and my mom were close. We keep in touch with some of Ed's children, Cobby Webb in Rock WV, also another daughter in Myrtlewood AL.

Tim

Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,656 times
My grandfather & grandmother lived there in the 40's when I was growing up, up the hollow from the store. It was a bustling place!

My grandfather & a Mr. Stephenson ran the mines that were there & my uncle Robson Grainger ran it after my grandfather passed in 1956. I used to ride the coal trucks up & down the the hollow from the mines to the tipple, which was down on the railroad during the 50's. I remember not being allowed to play in the creek because everybody's raw sewage dumped into it. My grandparents had running water & the sewer line simply went in the creek There were a number of outhouses built over the creek for houses that didn't have running water.

I did make a trip up there in the 1970's and visited with Bill Sizemore & his wife, who had been postmistress for Crystal. They had moved into my grandparents old house & were retired, as the mines had stopped doing anything long ago.

I need to go back & see what is there nowdays. Probably not much.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,275 times
Default Crystal West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about a town called Crystal located on RT.11 or Crane Road in WV.
I was born in Mercer County on Lorton Lick Road in West Virginia and attended the elementary school in Crystal. The little school was torn down and we were sent to McComas to finish the 6th grade and then on to McComas High.

Crystal is a very small town and I loved going to a little store where I could buy gum and candy. The owner was very nice. I would go on to school and share my goods with the other children.

I lived upon the mountain and walked to school in Crystal. I also attended the Church of Christ in Crystal. It was a great little church. It is still going but was sold to another denomination.

My parents are now gone but they lived in this area all their life. My father was a coal miner and worked in McComas.

Hope this helps. I still visit my siblings and if I have time I go back to Crystal and MCcomas to see how much things have changed.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,204 times
More info on alan taylor, if someone has it

Old 10-24-2014, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 819 times
My father was born in Crystal in 1922, son of Orville P and Clara Aust. They moved in 1928 to Goodwill. Dad is 92 and we're visiting home from Cincinnati area, staying at Pipestem State Park. Still beautiful, my heart still jumps when I first see the mountains as we drive down. Ralph Aust Jr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia