Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times

Advertisements

CT, I have to disagree, look at Logan and Williamson, those areas were in decline for a long time, but thankfully Corridor G/US 119 was completed, it provided jobs and eased transportation for people in that area and opened it up to opportunities and investment. It provided a vital link to Pikeville, Ky, the third largest banking center in Kentucky. You have the Logan shopping complex and South Williamson, Ky has a large variety of stores and development. Once CFX/US 121 is completed, you will see development in Wyoming and McDowell Counties. Once the King Coal eventually reaches Welch, your goin to have 2 major highways interchanging, and that will be prime development spot, there along the Federal Prison that is there. CFX will provide a vital link to Grundy, Va, where it will interchange with US 460 which is being 4 laned to US 23/Pikeville, Ky. Grundy has been floodproofed with over $200 million invested in it by the Government and State of Va. CFX will then pass thru Dickenson County,Va, the most economically distressed county in Va with no 4 lane, then finally reaching US 23/ Pound,Va, where a major highway interchange will be built. They're already acquiring right of way there. CFX will provide the crucial link for these economic distressed counties to help open them up for investment and provide vital safe transportation for the residents of all 6 counties with a combined population of 210,387(Raleigh,Wyoming, McDowell, Buchanan, Dickenson, Wise(including Norton-independent city enclaved in Wise) Counties)

Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
CT, I have to disagree, look at Logan and Williamson, those areas were in decline for a long time, but thankfully Corridor G/US 119 was completed, it provided jobs and eased transportation for people in that area and opened it up to opportunities and investment. It provided a vital link to Pikeville, Ky, the third largest banking center in Kentucky. You have the Logan shopping complex and South Williamson, Ky has a large variety of stores and development. Once CFX/US 121 is completed, you will see development in Wyoming and McDowell Counties. Once the King Coal eventually reaches Welch, your goin to have 2 major highways interchanging, and that will be prime development spot, there along the Federal Prison that is there. CFX will provide a vital link to Grundy, Va, where it will interchange with US 460 which is being 4 laned to US 23/Pikeville, Ky. Grundy has been floodproofed with over $200 million invested in it by the Government and State of Va. CFX will then pass thru Dickenson County,Va, the most economically distressed county in Va with no 4 lane, then finally reaching US 23/ Pound,Va, where a major highway interchange will be built. They're already acquiring right of way there. CFX will provide the crucial link for these economic distressed counties to help open them up for investment and provide vital safe transportation for the residents of all 6 counties with a combined population of 210,387(Raleigh,Wyoming, McDowell, Buchanan, Dickenson, Wise(including Norton-independent city enclaved in Wise) Counties)

Is modest economic growth in a few small counties in the middle of appalachia a justification for spending $2.1 billion dollars? Looking at your population statistics, thats roughly $10,000 per every person in the counties you mention. Now if we remove Raleigh County, because the road actually serves little significant purpose here and Wise Co. because the road barely makes it into the county before it reaches US-23 at Pound, that reduces the actual affected population to 86,000, I'll round that up to 92,000 to account for the people in the small area of those two counties affected. That's $22,800 per every affecteed person. A new Wal-Mart and McDonalds (low level service industry is all that will be willing to move into the region) doesn't justify that amount of spending.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Is modest economic growth in a few small counties in the middle of appalachia a justification for spending $2.1 billion dollars? Looking at your population statistics, thats roughly $10,000 per every person in the counties you mention. Now if we remove Raleigh County, because the road actually serves little significant purpose here and Wise Co. because the road barely makes it into the county before it reaches US-23 at Pound, that reduces the actual affected population to 86,000, I'll round that up to 92,000 to account for the people in the small area of those two counties affected. That's $22,800 per every affecteed person. A new Wal-Mart and McDonalds (low level service industry is all that will be willing to move into the region) doesn't justify that amount of spending.
You're doing a better job of making my point than I did. They want to spend $2.1 billion to benefit 86,000 people with a pie in the sky notion that it might provide some modest economic benefit while here in Monongalia County we have 100,000 people choking on traffic congestion due to proven economic conditions, obvious need, and demonstrated potential and can't get the state to cut loose with a few million dollars... a mere pittance compared with the money they extract from us every year in the form of taxes.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 PM

Here is what the great Nick Rahall has to state about CFX and other road projects in WV

Rahall warns of ‘self-inflicted wounds’ to transportation projects from sequester 02/13/2013 3:35 PM

A West Virginia lawmaker is warning that the looming sequestration cuts in Washington would create a “self-inflicted wound” on regional infrastructure projects such as the King Coal Highway and the Coalfields Expressway.
U.S. Rep. Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., the top Democrat on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, urged his fellow committee members Wednesday to fight for the resources needed to increase infrastructure investment.
“For generations, investments in infrastructure have paved the way for increased economic opportunity, the creation of good paying jobs in our communities, and a more prosperous nation,” Rahall said. “But in recent years when jobs are needed more than ever, that time tested prescription for their creation has largely been ignored by Congress. Critical projects like Routes 2, 10, & 35, the Interstate 73/74/Tolsia/King Coal Highway, the Coalfields Expressway, and the Beckley Z-Way and Intermodal Gateway are the types of investments that can lead us out of our economic doldrums but we need the political will in Washington to help see them across the finish line.”

A true Visionary Statement I've repeated over and over. Highway infrastructure is the key to SWV growth. The thing is we can't remove Raleigh and Wise Counties from the equation, there the main North and South Terminus points for CFX from I-77 to U.S. 23, this only makes both Counties prime real estate to invest in. This highway is a Beautiful thing, Show some Love on this Valentines Day and say I Love you CFX!

Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Here is what the great Nick Rahall has to state about CFX and other road projects in WV

Rahall warns of ‘self-inflicted wounds’ to transportation projects from sequester 02/13/2013 3:35 PM

A West Virginia lawmaker is warning that the looming sequestration cuts in Washington would create a “self-inflicted wound” on regional infrastructure projects such as the King Coal Highway and the Coalfields Expressway.
U.S. Rep. Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., the top Democrat on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, urged his fellow committee members Wednesday to fight for the resources needed to increase infrastructure investment.
“For generations, investments in infrastructure have paved the way for increased economic opportunity, the creation of good paying jobs in our communities, and a more prosperous nation,” Rahall said. “But in recent years when jobs are needed more than ever, that time tested prescription for their creation has largely been ignored by Congress. Critical projects like Routes 2, 10, & 35, the Interstate 73/74/Tolsia/King Coal Highway, the Coalfields Expressway, and the Beckley Z-Way and Intermodal Gateway are the types of investments that can lead us out of our economic doldrums but we need the political will in Washington to help see them across the finish line.”

A true Visionary Statement I've repeated over and over. Highway infrastructure is the key to SWV growth. The thing is we can't remove Raleigh and Wise Counties from the equation, there the main North and South Terminus points for CFX from I-77 to U.S. 23, this only makes both Counties prime real estate to invest in. This highway is a Beautiful thing, Show some Love on this Valentines Day and say I Love you CFX!
What would you expect Rahall to say? He represents that district, and he has no choice but to say feel good stuff and fluff to cover for the real problems. I'm not trying to be argumentive, but I disagree with the premise that you can somehow create any significant prosperity in that region by simply throwing money at it with highway projects for which there is no demonstrated need. The area's problems are far more deep seated than that. It is mired in the effects of long term poverty... a dependency mindset that is evolving into a victim stance one, very limited natural resources, and a population that is among the least educated in the whole country.

We keep battling it out with Mississippi for who gets to be in last place due to two reasons... our state's political structure, and the situation in southern West Virginia. There are no immediate solutions to either. Unfortunately, for the foreseeable future the best thing that could happen for that part of the state would be to have a large portion of the folks there move on to other, more promising areas.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
What would you expect Rahall to say? He represents that district, and he has no choice but to say feel good stuff and fluff to cover for the real problems. I'm not trying to be argumentive, but I disagree with the premise that you can somehow create any significant prosperity in that region by simply throwing money at it with highway projects for which there is no demonstrated need. The area's problems are far more deep seated than that. It is mired in the effects of long term poverty... a dependency mindset that is evolving into a victim stance one, very limited natural resources, and a population that is among the least educated in the whole country.

We keep battling it out with Mississippi for who gets to be in last place due to two reasons... our state's political structure, and the situation in southern West Virginia. There are no immediate solutions to either. Unfortunately, for the foreseeable future the best thing that could happen for that part of the state would be to have a large portion of the folks there move on to other, more promising areas.
I agree we should have a Federal, Government funded massive relocation project for SWV, give each person $75,000 housing stipend/HUD credit, plus $30,000 for expenses. McDowell County has the highest per capita of homes owned, not on mortgage to banks in the US, thus meaning your goin to uproot people from homes they only have to pay taxes on and instead moving them to areas where they will have to pay rent, mortgages etc. Cost of living is also cheap here as well. There have been over 75,000 people move/lost from McDowell in the past 63 years, and yet we still have very bad economic and poverty conditions. I always hear SWV is taking money from other parts of the state, but yet there has never been any large scale State or Federal investment nor any comprehensive plans for solutions in McDowell, Wyoming, and Mercer counties. I feel as though the State has acted truculent toward our needs and most of the needs for all of WV. I don't have the answers to all the issues in SWV, but to leave it as is, nothing is going to change.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:09 PM

I can understand the sense of frustration. Having grown up in the Wheeling area, it was an area that as recently as 30 years ago was the state's most prosperous and affluent dwindle down to less than half of what it was once. I was impacted by that decline, as were many others, and I had to uproot and move elsewhere to remain productive. It is tough to leave your home and move on, but in this day and age with the super rich manipulating job availability sometimes there is no choice. The problem in McDowell is some of those folks are so entrenched there they refuse to move even though there are few opportunities. Owning a home free and clear but not having meaningful employment is not a good tradeoff, in my opinion. Sometimes a person has to cut the losses and move on.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times
Quote:
I agree we should have a Federal, Government funded massive relocation project for SWV, give each person $75,000 housing stipend/HUD credit, plus $30,000 for expenses. McDowell County has the highest per capita of homes owned, not on mortgage to banks in the US, thus meaning your goin to uproot people from homes they only have to pay taxes on and instead moving them to areas where they will have to pay rent, mortgages etc. Cost of living is also cheap here as well. There have been over 75,000 people move/lost from McDowell in the past 63 years, and yet we still have very bad economic and poverty conditions. I always hear SWV is taking money from other parts of the state, but yet there has never been any large scale State or Federal investment nor any comprehensive plans for solutions in McDowell, Wyoming, and Mercer counties. I feel as though the State has acted truculent toward our needs and most of the needs for all of WV. I don't have the answers to all the issues in SWV, but to leave it as is, nothing is going to change.
The real problem with McDowell Co. and the surrounding region is that there is little use for it or most of the people who remain there for the national or even the state economy, especially as coal begins to wain into its twilight. Most of the land isn't suitable for development, nor is particularly attractive for tourism of any variety. The people of the county are, on the whole, significantly older and under educated for the 21st century economy and any young person of the region that gets out and goes to college isn't coming back; they'll move to Charlotte, DC, or some other metro as part of the country's and the world's continued urbanization. Also,there is little to no entertainment options that are attractive to outsiders of the region, which is one of the key reasons the county has had issues attracting teachers down there despite offering to pay for their students loans and provide housing.

A new road will not fix any of this, these are intrinsic problems of a locality that seemingly has more structural (ie- economic, social, ect) commonalities with the third/ developing world than it does with the rest of the country.

There are no good solutions for McDowell and surrounding counties. The best solution that could be done is to allow the older residents who own their home to live out there days in the region and encourage the younger generations to move out via tax incentives and an aggressive land purchasing program by the state and federal government (you could probably buy all private land in McDowell & Wyoming Counties for less money than they are spending on the CFX). Once the land grab is complete you could create a new national forest, a federal testing zone, ect.

This plan might sound radical, but it might be the only real option for helping the people of the region...

Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
That's a pretty harsh description, mattec. Unfortunately, it's also spot on.

There's really very little to attract people to the region. It's been dying for over 50 years and seemingly nothing has been done to make things any better. It's difficult to develop. It's not going to attract tourism (trashed, polluted landscapes and abandoned buildings aren't exactly big tourist attractions). There's no motivation for companies to locate there. It's not like there's some skilled workforce to take advantage of or some natural resource to draw companies there - those days are long gone.

A new road isn't going to accomplish much of anything besides making a trip out of there faster.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's a pretty harsh description, mattec. Unfortunately, it's also spot on.

There's really very little to attract people to the region. It's been dying for over 50 years and seemingly nothing has been done to make things any better. It's difficult to develop. It's not going to attract tourism (trashed, polluted landscapes and abandoned buildings aren't exactly big tourist attractions). There's no motivation for companies to locate there. It's not like there's some skilled workforce to take advantage of or some natural resource to draw companies there - those days are long gone.

A new road isn't going to accomplish much of anything besides making a trip out of there faster.
Exactly, that is why roads like King Coal, Corridor H, etc are a waste. They will create a very small number of low paid service jobs along the interstate, at a very high expense to WV taxpayers.

We should be building roads where they are needed and not where politicians want them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia