Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
The CTL plant will start construction this Quarter. All the permits are filed and the money is lined up thanks to that final investor back in the summer.

More information on the project: TransGas Adams Fork Energy Project (PDF)

Another article (from November, updated in December): TransGas on coal-to-liquids: “We’re trying to start an industry”

And if you ever get a chance, cry, try and make it down past Charleston sometime. Nothing will blow you away most likely, but there are some hidden gems down there.
It is great that they built a plant there but roads should go to benefit the people of WV not big business. This is the corruption I am talking about. We are subsidizing an energy company.

I am sure it is beautiful area, most of WV minus the parts destroyed by energy companies and strip mining.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is great that they built a plant there but roads should go to benefit the people of WV not big business. This is the corruption I am talking about. We are subsidizing an energy company.

I am sure it is beautiful area, most of WV minus the parts destroyed by energy companies and strip mining.
They have had several coal to gasoline attempts in the past, and they have all fizzled due to fluctuating oil prices and cost effectiveness. The first one in WV was south of Moundsville, and it lasted maybe 10 years. Gas prices have to be pretty high to make it cost effective, and when they get high to the point that demand drops they tend to fall again. Also, the possibility of natural gas as vehicle fuel also clouds the issue. It is a risky investment.

In any event, this one -plant does not justify such a massive investment in infrastructure.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They have had several coal to gasoline attempts in the past, and they have all fizzled due to fluctuating oil prices and cost effectiveness. The first one in WV was south of Moundsville, and it lasted maybe 10 years. Gas prices have to be pretty high to make it cost effective, and when they get high to the point that demand drops they tend to fall again. Also, the possibility of natural gas as vehicle fuel also clouds the issue. It is a risky investment.

In any event, this one -plant does not justify such a massive investment in infrastructure.
The King Coal Highway has been planned since the 90's, the Coal to Gasoline plant didnt come to fruition til a couple of years ago. The Horsepen to Delbarton section of the King Coal Highway opened a lot of land for development, which also included the new Mingo Central High School that was built as well. The King Coal Highway and Coalfields Expressway are vital to the economic development and safe trasnsportation needs of Wayne, Mingo, McDowell, Wyoming, Raleigh, and Mercer Counties in WV

On another note, during my excursion to Logan, a large section of WV Route 10 project is under construction from Rita to Rum Junction, when completed will serve as a safe alternative to current WV Route 10. I hadn't drove this stretch of road in several years but it is still as dangerous as ever. There use to be a very large sign (still may be there)when leaving Man to Logan that said "You are Now Traveling the Most Dangerous Highway in the State of WV." and had a long list of all the traffic fatalities on it as well. Finally the Local and State officials had enough of this and finally decided to look out for it's citizens. The people of SWV have the right to drive on safe highways and have basic infrastructure as every other part of the state.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
The King Coal Highway has been planned since the 90's, the Coal to Gasoline plant didnt come to fruition til a couple of years ago. The Horsepen to Delbarton section of the King Coal Highway opened a lot of land for development, which also included the new Mingo Central High School that was built as well. The King Coal Highway and Coalfields Expressway are vital to the economic development and safe trasnsportation needs of Wayne, Mingo, McDowell, Wyoming, Raleigh, and Mercer Counties in WV

On another note, during my excursion to Logan, a large section of WV Route 10 project is under construction from Rita to Rum Junction, when completed will serve as a safe alternative to current WV Route 10. I hadn't drove this stretch of road in several years but it is still as dangerous as ever. There use to be a very large sign (still may be there)when leaving Man to Logan that said "You are Now Traveling the Most Dangerous Highway in the State of WV." and had a long list of all the traffic fatalities on it as well. Finally the Local and State officials had enough of this and finally decided to look out for it's citizens. The people of SWV have the right to drive on safe highways and have basic infrastructure as every other part of the state.
I see. So it wasnt possible to build a high school without building a massive interstate to nowhere. Great Southern WV logic there. Every high school requires a huge interstate that nobody is going to use, and it is not possible to build one without it.

Curse, I hate to tell you this, but there is no economic development in Wayne, Mingo, McDowell, Wyoming, Raleigh, and Mercer, except growing pot, pills and meth. Besides drugs there is only massive jobloss. Some undeeded interstate is not going to change that. The economy is not 3rd world and people arent fleeing due to lack of an interstate, instead there is nothing there to support any economic activity and that highway is not going to change that. It is just going to let the coal companies strip mine southern WV faster and when they get all the coal out in a decade or two they will leave behind a polluted wasteland that will make Chernobyl look like a health spa.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I see. So it wasnt possible to build a high school without building a massive interstate to nowhere. Great Southern WV logic there. Every high school requires a huge interstate that nobody is going to use, and it is not possible to build one without it.

Curse, I hate to tell you this, but there is no economic development in Wayne, Mingo, McDowell, Wyoming, Raleigh, and Mercer, except growing pot, pills and meth. Besides drugs there is only massive jobloss. Some undeeded interstate is not going to change that. The economy is not 3rd world and people arent fleeing due to lack of an interstate, instead there is nothing there to support any economic activity and that highway is not going to change that. It is just going to let the coal companies strip mine southern WV faster and when they get all the coal out in a decade or two they will leave behind a polluted wasteland that will make Chernobyl look like a health spa.
How do you know about the fine Herbs that grow in these Hills? WV climate and terrain is suited for Maurijuana growth. I've always thought McDowell County could always become the East Coast Humboldt County, but that's another debate for another day.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
How do you know about the fine Herbs that grow in these Hills? WV climate and terrain is suited for Maurijuana growth. I've always thought McDowell County could always become the East Coast Humboldt County, but that's another debate for another day.
#1 cash crop in WV. The climate is so-so. There is better areas for outdoor growing in much of the US.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:

As far as Mingo Central High being built next to King Coal, there were other options as where to put it, but the site of the High School was hence, a central location within Mingo County. Once the Williamson Connector and King Coal is extended to U.S.119, it will provide safe 4 lane travel to a large percentage of the kids of Mingo County. God Bless the State of WV most Precious Resource, Our Children.

Have you seen a 4 lane Highway or Interstate in WV that was just left to look like a third world country after construction was finished? Strip Mining for Highway construction is different in the fact they follow the roadway/path of the proposed highway instead of widespread mtn removal.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
#1 cash crop in WV. The climate is so-so. There is better areas for outdoor growing in much of the US.

I wish I had that old High Times Magazine that stated WV was/is a top 5 Producer of Pot grown outoors in the US. It wasn't as much as grown in Kentucky or California, but our Humid climate and soil made it one of the ideal locations in the US. There was a Indica Strain grown a few years back down here, 2 toke

Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I wish I had that old High Times Magazine that stated WV was/is a top 5 Producer of Pot grown outoors in the US. It wasn't as much as grown in Kentucky or California, but our Humid climate and soil made it one of the ideal locations in the US. There was a Indica Strain grown a few years back down here, 2 toke
It is no longer a top 5 producer you can google it. Domestic Marijuana Production Info is from 2006, but I imagine not much as changed except Washington and Colorado are going to take over production.

WV is #8 for outdoor which isnt bad. The climate is ok. Somewhere like Hawaii, Northern California, and the PNW are the climate you want. You want warm, but not too warm, and lots of rain. The quality of WV pot is not reknown. WV isnt bad but a better climate is hotter, has more sunlight, and is wetter.

Notice that despite being a top 10 outdoor state WV doesnt produce much. A few states produce approx %75 of domestic, and WV is not close to being one. A lot of stuff even in WV and the surrounding states is brought in from the West Coast, Canada, and Mexico.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 02-24-2013 at 12:30 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
As far as Mingo Central High being built next to King Coal, there were other options as where to put it, but the site of the High School was hence, a central location within Mingo County. Once the Williamson Connector and King Coal is extended to U.S.119, it will provide safe 4 lane travel to a large percentage of the kids of Mingo County. God Bless the State of WV most Precious Resource, Our Children.

Have you seen a 4 lane Highway or Interstate in WV that was just left to look like a third world country after construction was finished? Strip Mining for Highway construction is different in the fact they follow the roadway/path of the proposed highway instead of widespread mtn removal.
An interstate is not needed, but this does prove my point that southern WV gets preference. They get interstates built because for whatever reason they can only build a school next to an interstate. Next they will tell us they can only build if it is constructed with gold.

The interstate is named after the people who want, the mining companies. They are tired of southern WV and want to strip mine it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia