Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times

Advertisements

Since Morgantown has so many awards I decided to make an award thread about it.
Of
Awards | City of Morgantown, WV official website

Please share your thoughts or include awards not on this list.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,493,254 times
wrong board

Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
wrong board
I know.

I reported and asked it to be moved.

It still works I guess. WV related.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,075,092 times
Morgantown wins the award for having the most intoxicated population per capita

Old 04-06-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I dont think it has won that award yet, but if you have proof of it please share it and we can add it to the list.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Morgantown is the greatest city known to many.. past, present and future. Rome has jack squat on sunnyside.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Morgantown is the greatest city known to many.. past, present and future. Rome has jack squat on sunnyside.
Well in WV, yes. Outside of WV not so much but it is still a good place as you can see from all its awards.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Well in WV, yes. Outside of WV not so much but it is still a good place as you can see from all its awards.
As someone that grew up in a small "city" that had so many awards Morgantown would blush, I would just like to add this bit of wisdom based off observations: So many of these "awards" are from small, botique level magazines and websites. I almost feel as though they cycle these awards around to a million small metro areas to increase readership. I would have never suspected that, but after spending the first 18 years of my life in a place that was showered in such accolades, and then moving to another place that was showered by these accolades by the same sorts of media organizations, it almost seemed suspicious. Finally, if you talk to anyone from "small town america", or read other locality subforums on CD, you'll find that basically every place in america is similarly showered by such accolades. It just feels manufactured to me. Many of these articles are written about the top 50 places, but the editor has never actually been, they're just based off of measurable or press releases from the town itself.

Long story short, don't put too much stock in these glorified attempts for page views.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
As someone that grew up in a small "city" that had so many awards Morgantown would blush, I would just like to add this bit of wisdom based off observations: So many of these "awards" are from small, botique level magazines and websites. I almost feel as though they cycle these awards around to a million small metro areas to increase readership. I would have never suspected that, but after spending the first 18 years of my life in a place that was showered in such accolades, and then moving to another place that was showered by these accolades by the same sorts of media organizations, it almost seemed suspicious. Finally, if you talk to anyone from "small town america", or read other locality subforums on CD, you'll find that basically every place in america is similarly showered by such accolades. It just feels manufactured to me. Many of these articles are written about the top 50 places, but the editor has never actually been, they're just based off of measurable or press releases from the town itself.

Long story short, don't put too much stock in these glorified attempts for page views.
Perhaps, but no other city in WV is showered in these accolades, unless scoring lowest in well being, having the worst health and teeth, etc is considered an accolade. If I am wrong please show me. Link to all the awards Charleston or Huntington has won from boutiques organizations like Forbes and the AARP. Show that the average 'town' or small city in the US has the same amount of awards that Morgantown has. I am sure you have plenty of proof and are not just making this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia