Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times

Advertisements

Well Cry you're in luck you can just never drive on the road, and move on. Just because the road will not be impacting enough for you to see a benefit doesn't mean others don't.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Well Cry you're in luck you can just never drive on the road, and move on. Just because the road will not be impacting enough for you to see a benefit doesn't mean others don't.
It is not impacting enough for anyone to see any economic impact. There is a reason this road is famous for being a worthless waste of tax payer money with no benefits. The only real argument for it is a very few people happy their commute is shortened by 40 minutes.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:
Is there a map of this? I'm having a hard time visualizing if it will speed up my drive to visit family. Thanks
Overview: http://www.wvcorridorh.com/

Maps: http://www.wvcorridorh.com/route/route.html

Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is not impacting enough for anyone to see any economic impact. There is a reason this road is famous for being a worthless waste of tax payer money with no benefits. The only real argument for it is a very few people happy their commute is shortened by 40 minutes.
Well then be happy for them and move on. Everyone is entitled to their opinions that's the beauty of our country. Clearly everyone has their opinion on this, and no one is going to change anyone's mind. Personaly I think it's great. Nope I won't drive it, but I can see that it does have potential for long term major impact. Will it make a big difference the first day open, nope, but in the long run it will. Not to mention the jobs it will provide for those building it. It will open up a much needed east/west corridor, and speed access to VA's inland port, and then on to Norfolk.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Well then be happy for them and move on. Everyone is entitled to their opinions that's the beauty of our country. Clearly everyone has their opinion on this, and no one is going to change anyone's mind. Personaly I think it's great. Nope I won't drive it, but I can see that it does have potential for long term major impact. Will it make a big difference the first day open, nope, but in the long run it will. Not to mention the jobs it will provide for those building it. It will open up a much needed east/west corridor, and speed access to VA's inland port, and then on to Norfolk.
People have a right to state their opinion and I have a right to state facts.

The facts are this road has no benefit short or long term unless things dramatically change, like elkins becoming a huge city.v

My opinion is irrelevant to these facts and so is everyone's opinion. I have stated proof of everything I have said. This road is wasteful and gives no real benefits to WV outside of a very few special interest. Your opinion can be ok with that but it doesnt change the facts. However, it is goos you admit you wont use this road. Very few people will and it is empty right now and it is 75% done. Another 20 miles is not going to change much.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:

Very few people will and it is empty right now and it is 75% done. Another 20 miles is not going to change much.
From colonial times, economic development has followed transportation routes. Boston, New York, Philly, Charleston SC, and Savannah were the earliest major cities because they were ports. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and New Orleans grew due to river traffic. Settlement in the West followed the railroads, and in the last half-century, the economic driver has been the highway system.

While the article states that nearly 75% of the project is complete, that includes the Weston-Elkins segment, which does nothing to improve the highway connections to the east. AFAIK, there currently are only two segments open east of Elkins: about 10 miles from Elkins to Kerens, and 30-40 miles in Hardy County, from Forman to Wardensville. Two critical segments are not even in the design phase: Kerens-Parsons-Davis and Wardensville-VA line.

The majority of the benefits of the highway will not be realized until the entire highway is open.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
From colonial times, economic development has followed transportation routes. Boston, New York, Philly, Charleston SC, and Savannah were the earliest major cities becauswon't change that. ey were ports. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and New Orleans grew due to river traffic. Settlement in the West followed the railroads, and in the last half-century, the economic driver has been the highway system.

While the article states that nearly 75% of the project is complete, that includes the Weston-Elkins segment, which does nothing to improve the highway connections to the east. AFAIK, there currently are only two segments open east of Elkins: about 10 miles from Elkins to Kerens, and 30-40 miles in Hardy County, from Forman to Wardensville. Two critical segments are not even in the design phase: Kerens-Parsons-Davis and Wardensville-VA line.

The majority of the benefits of the highway will not be realized until the entire highway is open.

No from colonial times they built transportation where tge population and economic activity was. Areas with little people or no economic activity didnt get anything because it was wasteful. River traffic is something different. Rivers arent man made. Natural harbors arent man made either. That was due to geography not anything humans did. Roads were built where they were needed ajd this road isnt needed. Same thing with railroads. They would connect to important areas and small towns that were lucky to be between to important areas might get a stop not because they were important but because they were on a route. Nobody built rail to areas with very little economic activity or population because there was no point. It was bypassed. This road is not a market result the market would never support this. It is government pork and wasteful spending.

And yes 75% of the road is finished and nothing has happened. A few extra miles wont change anything. the reason it is a empty road is because nothing is there. An additional few miles of road wont change that.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
People have a right to state their opinion and I have a right to state facts.

The facts are this road has no benefit short or long term unless things dramatically change, like elkins becoming a huge city.v

My opinion is irrelevant to these facts and so is everyone's opinion. I have stated proof of everything I have said. This road is wasteful and gives no real benefits to WV outside of a very few special interest. Your opinion can be ok with that but it doesnt change the facts. However, it is goos you admit you wont use this road. Very few people will and it is empty right now and it is 75% done. Another 20 miles is not going to change much.
I live several hundred miles away, so nope I won't use the road. I do travel to WVA about once a year, but I go much further north than this road. It really doesn't impact me other than hopefully bringing more business to the inland port and Norfolk. I see no need to get bent out of shape because the road is going in. I will say that the last 25% may just make the difference, and people with more knowledge on the situation than me have deemed it beneficial.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I live several hundred miles away, so nope I won't use the road. I do travel to WVA about once a year, but I got further north than this road. It really doesn't impact me other than hopefully bringing more business to the inland port and Norfolk. I see no need to get bent out of shape because the road is going in. I will say that the last 25% may just make the difference, and people with more knowledge on the situation than me have deemed it beneficial.
Actually no. People with knowledge of the road that have analyzed the impact have deemed it wasteful. I've posted several sources on that. the only people saying this road is beneficial are making opinion statements based off no data, research, or evidence. All data disagrees with your view. You are entitled to your opinion but it doesnt change the facts. It is similiar to how some people think smoking cigs is healthy despite all the evidence to the contrary. They can have their opinion, regardless if they smoke or not, but it doesnt change the fact that all evidence shows them wrong.

You also hit the nail with the hammer when you said you live too far from this road. Very few people live near this road or need to travel this route. That is exactly why it is wasteful.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
Maybe its time to leave this poor dead horse alone. This road project is what it is and no one posting on this message board can do anything about changing the project. So why keep debating about it? Again, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia