Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

Apparently, government ineptitude is partly to blame for not catching the conditions resulting in the Kanawha spill, and the fact that inadequate safeguards were in place. Also, it is possible there will be some long term adverse effects.

Article - Prof: Crisis could have been stopped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 05:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
This is the problem. I do not think new regulations is the answer. I say that and people whine and complain that I want corporations to do whatever they want. I want those in charge of regulation to enforce the regulations we have. There is no doubt that there are regulations in place that should have addressed this long ago.

We so often have regulations that are not followed up on and the answer is rarely one where we hold accountable those who didn't do their job but rather we demand new regulations that won't get enforced either.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is the problem. I do not think new regulations is the answer. I say that and people whine and complain that I want corporations to do whatever they want. I want those in charge of regulation to enforce the regulations we have. There is no doubt that there are regulations in place that should have addressed this long ago.

We so often have regulations that are not followed up on and the answer is rarely one where we hold accountable those who didn't do their job but rather we demand new regulations that won't get enforced either.
Oh, I firmly believe we have twice as many regulations already on the books as are needed. There are so many laws in place nobody even comes close to knowing what is there. In fact, there might be too many laws in place and that could actually be part of the problem. The problem is neglect on the part of those doing the monitoring. Unfortunately, given our state's history of corruption, that might be on purpose. Money has always talked in West Virginia politics. Especially south of Sutton, talking the talk and walking the walk are very different matters.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 AM

114 posts, read 171,192 times
geesh, thanks Obama for your job killing zone. I much prefer the people killing zone of the chemical companies.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
geesh, thanks Obama for your job killing zone. I much prefer the people killing zone of the chemical companies.
While I am no fan of Obama this has been something that has taken years to get to this point.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,347 times
Because the site only stored and did not manufacture chemicals, state officials have said it did not need permits to discharge pollutants into the air or water. Previously, the state environmental department said the last inspection report for the site dated to 2001, when it was a refinery owned by a different company and operating under more stringent rules.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Because the site only stored and did not manufacture chemicals, state officials have said it did not need permits to discharge pollutants into the air or water. Previously, the state environmental department said the last inspection report for the site dated to 2001, when it was a refinery owned by a different company and operating under more stringent rules.
So, it looks like the Professor is right... the government dropped the ball. It kind of blows one's mind that a state government that will inspect your backpack to see if you have an illegal rabbit out of hunting season, or subject you to an inquisition if you've had even one beer and are on your way home, wouldn't have looked at holding tanks holding tens of thousands of gallons of chemicals for 13 years.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:42 PM

537 posts, read 958,931 times
Right, it's always the government's fault. Couldn't be the fault of corporations and millionaires/billionaires. Certainly not their fault that they ensure the government is underfunded.

Here's how this play unfolds:
1) Corporations / the 1% buy out the media and the politicians to ensure minimal regulations and minimal regulators to enforce them anyway.
2) Disaster occurs.
3) Corporations / the 1% spin the message that it's government's fault for not preventing the disaster.
Here's the final act twist, where the story changes from a tragedy to a comedy:
4) Some people actually believe the message and blame the government.

Here's to corporations and the filthy rich! Jobs, jobs, at any cost! They are never wrong!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Right, it's always the government's fault. Couldn't be the fault of corporations and millionaires/billionaires. Certainly not their fault that they ensure the government is underfunded.

Here's how this play unfolds:
1) Corporations / the 1% buy out the media and the politicians to ensure minimal regulations and minimal regulators to enforce them anyway.
2) Disaster occurs.
3) Corporations / the 1% spin the message that it's government's fault for not preventing the disaster.
Here's the final act twist, where the story changes from a tragedy to a comedy:
4) Some people actually believe the message and blame the government.

Here's to corporations and the filthy rich! Jobs, jobs, at any cost! They are never wrong!
There is no question that this particular corporation caused the issue. There is also no question that incompetence on the part of the government resulted in that misdeed not being caught before this happened. It's unfortunate that taxpayers will be forced to bear the cost for both. They are the least culpable of all.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 AM

537 posts, read 958,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There is no question that this particular corporation caused the issue. There is also no question that incompetence on the part of the government resulted in that misdeed not being caught before this happened. It's unfortunate that taxpayers will be forced to bear the cost for both. They are the least culpable of all.
Unless, I missed something, the article in your original post didn't have a lot of details, there was no case of incompetence detailed. I could just as well assume that the gov't is underfunded and doesn't have nearly enough regulators to perform their assigned tasks. If that's the case, then blaming them in retrospect is ludicrous.

Look, I don't like unnecessarily large gov't or paying more taxes any more than anyone else. But when you "starve the beast"... this is what you get. You get what you pay for. So in that sense, yes, the taxpayers (voters) are culpable too. Get the rich to pay their fair share -- even just as in the days of Ronald Reagan, for example -- and we'll have a much more capable gov't able to protect the environment. I'm not a "tree-hugger", but if you think corporations won't destroy our Earth for a few $$$, you're sadly mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia