Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 AM

778 posts, read 796,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret.Squirrel View Post
Glad to hear more jobs and more tax revenue being generated in West Virginia! Hope the increased drilling doesn't trigger small earthquakes in the Northern Panhandle like it did for Oklahoma.

West Virginia sits on some of the geological stable strata in the nation, perhaps the most stable. Earthquakes can occur here but they are muffled and on the edges. West Virginia is like a single piece of rock; an island if you will floating in the crust. Most of that is due to the age of the Appalachian Mountains - hundreds of millions of years to settle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:02 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
West Virginia sits on some of the geological stable strata in the nation, perhaps the most stable. Earthquakes can occur here but they are muffled and on the edges. West Virginia is like a single piece of rock; an island if you will floating in the crust. Most of that is due to the age of the Appalachian Mountains - hundreds of millions of years to settle.

I have always been told WV is tectonically dead essentially. However like you said we will still feel slight earth quakes from surrounding areas, like when DC had its earth quake, it was slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) felt in Morgantown, just enough to set off alarms.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:47 PM

537 posts, read 958,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The US holds all the cards, and lots of jobs, as long as a certain political party and it's followers don't keep trying to screw it up for the entire country.
Jobs are important. The environment is also important.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Jobs are important. The environment is also important.
The key to remember is which one has priority. While it is always part of the picture, environmental concerns should be well-down the list of issues. The environment is very resilient and a lot of what is regulated in regards to it is totally unjustified and stupid.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:55 PM

84 posts, read 76,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I believe the incoming leadership is focused on maintaining American jobs instead of trading American prosperity for goodwill.
Time will tell if you are correct. Trump has never had a good history with treating workers with respect and paying them well. Usually people don't change too much after age 70. I see people voting for him more or less as blind faith with no historical evidence that he will look out for the little guy

Anyways I think the northern panhandle will be the place to be for the gas industry. I'd love to see wheeling to Chester boom. It is a great area. Do you see the positive job growth effecting Pittsburgh and pulling them up as well?

I am cautiously optimistic. The people in this region voted for trump mainly because of jobs and being forgotten in the 21st century economy. However how many people in this area qualify for the gas jobs? Have these people developed skills skills to handle the new technology of the 21st century? How many of these people can pass drug tests and are in good health? It is an older population there. I have a feeling a lot of these people want the good paying jobs where you would show up and do the same thing for 30 years and not have to worry about leaning much new skill. That is not how it works in 2016. If the local workforce cannot fill those jobs then you need people to relocate. How will this region handle brown skinned people from Texas moving to the area for work? How would it handle educated immigrants coming in and working?

It is much more than growing jobs for locals. You could be looking at a spike in migration and immigration spawning a cultural shift of the area. Right now locals in the whole tri state area have a complete education and skills mismatch. That's why chevron donated 20 million dollars to eastern Ohio western pa and northern wv schools for STEM education in the local high schools

Old 12-18-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Holiday View Post
Time will tell if you are correct. Trump has never had a good history with treating workers with respect and paying them well. Usually people don't change too much after age 70. I see people voting for him more or less as blind faith with no historical evidence that he will look out for the little guy

Anyways I think the northern panhandle will be the place to be for the gas industry. I'd love to see wheeling to Chester boom. It is a great area. Do you see the positive job growth effecting Pittsburgh and pulling them up as well?

I am cautiously optimistic. The people in this region voted for trump mainly because of jobs and being forgotten in the 21st century economy. However how many people in this area qualify for the gas jobs? Have these people developed skills skills to handle the new technology of the 21st century? How many of these people can pass drug tests and are in good health? It is an older population there. I have a feeling a lot of these people want the good paying jobs where you would show up and do the same thing for 30 years and not have to worry about leaning much new skill. That is not how it works in 2016. If the local workforce cannot fill those jobs then you need people to relocate. How will this region handle brown skinned people from Texas moving to the area for work? How would it handle educated immigrants coming in and working?

It is much more than growing jobs for locals. You could be looking at a spike in migration and immigration spawning a cultural shift of the area. Right now locals in the whole tri state area have a complete education and skills mismatch. That's why chevron donated 20 million dollars to eastern Ohio western pa and northern wv schools for STEM education in the local high schools

I must say, it takes some audacity to brand West Virginians as politically dim, educationally inept, unskilled, drug using, health slobs, old, unwilling to change, unaware of the pace of the world around us and then you hit us with a double whammy of being racist and not only racists brown skinned peoples but also against educated immigrants. Why did you eve n bother to respond to this thread if all you were going to do was insult West Virginians. Trust me your opinion is not needed any where in this state by even a single one of its residents.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I must say, it takes some audacity to brand West Virginians as politically dim, educationally inept, unskilled, drug using, health slobs, old, unwilling to change, unaware of the pace of the world around us and then you hit us with a double whammy of being racist and not only racists brown skinned peoples but also against educated immigrants. Why did you eve n bother to respond to this thread if all you were going to do was insult West Virginians. Trust me your opinion is not needed any where in this state by even a single one of its residents.
I am just asking. I apologize if you took it as a racist attack. It was not meant to be that way. I am just trying to provide talking points.

I happen to like the area very much. It is much easier said than done to create good paying jobs for residents. It was said the incoming administration is not going to give away jobs. If the residents have a skills mismatch who is going to retrain everybody? This isn't just a northern wv problem. It is a PA, OH, MI and WI problem as well. Trump promised providing good jobs to these areas. Great it is needed! Do people in any of these states in cities and towns left behind have an up to date and trained workforce to fill these positions? And what is going to happen if the local workforce cannot fill these positions? You still have a left behind population and people from elsewhere will have to move in to fill the jobs. I'm just saying it's nice the region is getting revenue but providing good jobs and having a trained workforce is easier said than done.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:34 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Holiday View Post

Say what? Where are you coming up with that crap? The educational level of northern West Virginians is actually quite high. So is the adaptability and skill level of our work force. Like all of America, we value our culture and norms, but we also are home to several institutions of higher learning in our region, and our area literally almost surrounds Pittsburgh. I simply can not imagine why you would assume that we would not be able to adjust to the workers associated with the industry? That sounds like an opinion based on stereotypes and biases rather than reality.

Our current economic woes in northern West Virginia are not associated with a weak, uneducated, and drug infested population. They are the result of decades of globalist policies that have stripped our area of tens of thousands of well paying union jobs, and government policies that have illogically harmed the market for a valuable natural resource. In addition, we are not total strangers to the oil and gas industry in our area. While the shale developments are comparatively new, there has been natural gas and oil coming from this region for decades.

We will never get most of those oil and gas wellhead jobs here. The companies can bring in their own well experienced workers from the south and southwest to work on the wellheads cheaper than they can train new workers for those tasks. The primary economic benefits here from oil and gas developments will be in these areas: (1) work at the cracker facilities across from Moundsville and near Chester (2) plastics related employment at plants located in the region near those cracker facilities, and we have a real chance to get some of that here in NCWV with the right infrastructure being put in place (3) royalties from oil and gas extractions, and (4) property taxes based on the oil and gas assets.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 12-18-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
State government and conversely the entire state will benefit from the taxes paid by companies related to oil and gas, from mineral severance taxes, and from income taxes and other taxes paid by employees of firms related to it, and companies that provide goods and services to those companies and employees.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Say what? Where are you coming up with that crap? The educational level of northern West Virginians is actually quite high. So is the adaptability and skill level of our work force. Like all of America, we value our culture and norms, but we also are home to several institutions of higher learning in our region, and our area literally almost surrounds Pittsburgh. I simply can not imagine why you would assume that we would not be able to adjust to the workers associated with the industry? That sounds like an opinion based on stereotypes and biases rather than reality.

Our current economic woes in northern West Virginia are not associated with a weak, uneducated, and drug infested population. They are the result of decades of globalist policies that have stripped our area of tens of thousands of well paying union jobs, and government policies that have illogically harmed the market for a valuable natural resource. In addition, we are not total strangers to the oil and gas industry in our area. While the shale developments are comparatively new, there has been natural gas and oil coming from this region for decades.

We will never get most of those oil and gas wellhead jobs here. The companies can bring in their own well experienced workers from the south and southwest to work on the wellheads cheaper than they can train new workers for those tasks. The primary economic benefits here from oil and gas developments will be in these areas: (1) work at the cracker facilities across from Moundsville and near Chester (2) plastics related employment at plants located in the region near those cracker facilities, and we have a real chance to get some of that here in NCWV with the right infrastructure being put in place (3) royalties from oil and gas extractions, and (4) property taxes based on the oil and gas assets.

An article from this month totally contradicts your opinion on why West Virginia is suffering economically.

Economic experts ask, 'Why is West Virginia so poor?' | Local News | theet.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia