Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,668 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Charleston WV area. We are looking for a small town (low crime rates and good schools)within 30 minutes of Charleston. Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by small town gal; 01-11-2015 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 08:53 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by small town gal View Post
We will be relocating to the Charleston WV area. We are looking for a small town (low crime rates and good schools)within 30 minutes of Charleston. Any help will be much appreciated.
I would suggest looking further into possibilities within Charleston. It has some really nice areas and George Washington High School is arguably the best high school in the state.

However, if you are set on living outside of Charleston then I would suggest looking into Putnam County, specifically Teays Valley and Hurricane. The school systems in those areas are also some of the top in the state. Many people seeking to work in Huntington or Charleston and not live in the city, often choose to live in Teays Valley. It is about halfway between Huntington and Charleston and thus you would be able to take advantage of the amenities of both cities. It is also a nice area drawing people from all over the region to move there. Hurricane is also very nice. It is closer to Huntington, but more quaint.

Another suggestion would be to look into Cross Lanes. It is closer to Charleston and a nice relatively nice area, though I'm not familiar with the schools in the area.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:56 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Hi there,

you should look into the Pinch/Elkview area. Only 20 mins from downtown, but not as crowed as some of the other suburbs. There is plenty of new housing developments, and the schools are very good. Another area would be Alum Creek. IDk about the elementary school, but that is the school district for the best MS and HS in the county. Also you are less than 25 mins from town, and only 10 mins or so from Southridge which has the majority of the shopping and restaurants.
I'd recommend areas in Putnam County as well. Winfield is probably the best overall choice in Putnam County for schools, location, and still being out in the country. Teays Valley and Hurricane are nice, but much more developed.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
You should also consider the city of South Charleston. City services are better than Charleston and there is no city sales tax. Trash is picked up twice a week and the snow is removed from the streets (all the streets in the city) almost as soon as the storm stops. Rush hour traffic is a lot less of a problem than either Teays Valley or Cross Lanes, too.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely be checking out all the places mentioned. I'm excited to check out Winfield since I have not heard that one mentioned in any reviews I've seen. My husband took a job in Charleston and said so far everyone he's come in contact with is super friendly. We're hoping for a smooth transition and excited about the move.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
I lf you have any questions about Winfield several posters here would be glad to help. I relocated here from Saint Albans 3 years ago and love it. It's a great place to raise a family.

I definitely don't want to short change the other areas that have been mentioned. They all possess qualities that make them unique to all their own. Pinch, South Charleston, South Hills are all great areas that have a community feel.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times
Check out Sissonville, as well.

When you say small town, what kind of feel do you want (actual small town or general suburbs)? Where are you coming from? Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the places mentioned.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Thank you guys again. I was going to ask about Sissonville. We are coming from Orrville Ohio. We sit on the outskirts of the Amish community. There's horse and buggy parking at our stores and hospital lol. We are looking for a small town that has a good community feel to that has the basics like a grocery store,gas station and library. We are used to driving 20-30 minutes to go shopping and out and about.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
Ripley is a little farther from Charleston, about 30-35 minutes. But it is a nice small town located on I-77. Has a strong community feel and even a small Amish population in the outskirts of the county. One plus with Ripley is that it puts you a lot closer to Parkersburg.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:43 AM

Wow I've got a lot to go with thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia