Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 AM

169 posts, read 592,897 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for anyone else here but, I sure do hate moving. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to returning to WV, it's the physical moving part that drives me up a wall. I can't think of anything I hate worse!

I have tons of stuff I need to get rid of, things I want to keep (very little), changing over things from here to there, it's all quite mind boggling really. Especially when there's just you, it looks like a major undertaking.

The home here is currently in escrow and I have about 30 days to get rid of everything in this 3 bedroom home because I am only leaving with personal items. It wasn't so bad when I was a younger buck but, at the ripe old age of 52... I really am not looking forward to the excitement, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,239,405 times
Maybe you just pack a suitcase of clothes, a box of mementos, and have a big bonfire with the rest?

I haven't moved in almost 30 years, and I'm not looking forward to it either (whenever it comes).

Old 01-30-2008, 10:59 AM

A friend here recommended an estate sale and have some folks in who do that sort of thing and have them buy it all, lock, stock & barrel. I may check into that! I had considered Ebay but, how do you sell 6 rooms of furniture, large items & the like???

Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,319,423 times
Take that friend out to dinner when you get the check...that was the very best advice you could get...it's only stuff...We have it here...in profusion.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM

You might be onto something there David.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
I can't speak for anyone else here but, I sure do hate moving. Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to returning to WV, it's the physical moving part that drives me up a wall. I can't think of anything I hate worse!

I have tons of stuff I need to get rid of, things I want to keep (very little), changing over things from here to there, it's all quite mind boggling really. Especially when there's just you, it looks like a major undertaking.

The home here is currently in escrow and I have about 30 days to get rid of everything in this 3 bedroom home because I am only leaving with personal items. It wasn't so bad when I was a younger buck but, at the ripe old age of 52... I really am not looking forward to the excitement, lol.
Tell me about it! I remember when I was younger traveling much lighter. Stand still too long and like moss on a stone possessions start taking over your life. Kinda silly, isn't it? When STUFF starts owning YOU? hahahaa

I donated lots to charity. Books to the library, stuff that won't travel well (pantry items, TV, high end china) just got passed off to family. Basically, when I started looking at it as- what do I really need, my decisions were easier. Condensing my music collection to digital format was a blessing.
Anything made of cloth= space bag totes. I got mine at linens and things for $20 each. They fold up flat when not in use, reusable, separates winter/summer clothing and linen (not just for moving but for organizing a closet once you get where you're going), preserves from moths and humidity, and if taken care of, last a lifetime. Beats paying $ for larger disposible cardboard boxes. I couldn't help but laugh when a mover wanted me to pay $28 for a wardrobe cardboard box!
Free cardboard boxes for smaller stuff can be had at liquor stores BTW.
Good luck!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Well, you know the story. We gather things as we go along and before you know, we got so much stuff we now need a bigger place to put it and so on & so fourth, lol. My wife passed away back in October of 06' and I have been slowly dwindling down but, I still have a ton of stuff.

I realized that probably 75% of this stuff I simply do not need & can live without. I am taking personal items and because of a few hobbies I'm into (photography, music & cowboy action shooting), I will be toting my guns, my photographic equipment, my pretty elaborate collection of musical instruments and all my clothing for my old west re-enacting & CAS. Other than this, everything else can go and I will look at things very differently when I get back there.

I will be shopping for the bare necessities of keeping a home and that's it. Time to down size and enjoy my space a little more, lol.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
Well, you know the story. We gather things as we go along and before you know, we got so much stuff we now need a bigger place to put it and so on & so fourth, lol. My wife passed away back in October of 06' and I have been slowly dwindling down but, I still have a ton of stuff.

I realized that probably 75% of this stuff I simply do not need & can live without. I am taking personal items and because of a few hobbies I'm into (photography, music & cowboy action shooting), I will be toting my guns, my photographic equipment, my pretty elaborate collection of musical instruments and all my clothing for my old west re-enacting & CAS. Other than this, everything else can go and I will look at things very differently when I get back there.

I will be shopping for the bare necessities of keeping a home and that's it. Time to down size and enjoy my space a little more, lol.
If I may make a suggestion- hold onto the kitchen gadgets for their utility, especially if they're old. They just don't make them as well anymore, and if you replace with new, the pricetags add up considerably. A kitchen aide mixer with steel parts will outlast a toyota mile for mile.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM

Funny you should mention that! My entire kitchen is loaded with KitchenAid appliances, cookware, utensils, pots & pans, etc...

Yeah, they are pretty expensive items indeed. You may have a very valid point, lol. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Just send the furniture to auction! Here they pick up [free]...sell [small commission]...send you the check!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia