Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,293 times

Advertisements

I've done lots of reading on this site and seem to keep coming back to the same things, so i figured I'd post my own question.

I currently live in Rhode Island. I am finishing my Master's Degree in Boston in Political Science. I would like to move to the DC area to find a job, not specifically live in DC, rather in MD, VA, or WV. I don't want to rent, much rather just own a home. At most right now I would say 275k. I have done a little reading on the MARC and VRE, and after using the commuter rail everyday to get to Boston, this sounds like my best bet. I'm looking for a suburb, nearby to one of the rail lines. I don't really care which state I'm in, or how long the train ride is, could be the furtherest stop. I don't necessarily have to live with my back to the train station, short drive is ok. Also I'm wondering how bad the winters get. I would assume they would not nearly be as bad (cold, and as much snow) as here in New England.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:56 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,967,187 times
Please rent for at least 1 year, you will get to know the area better. You can find houses in that price range, but they will not be new and can be in some "iffy" areas which is why I always advise all relocating clients start out renting if you have no knowledge of the area, then buy. I don't make any money that way, but I sleep better at night.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:21 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,630,188 times
I live in the DC area in Northern Virginia (Arlington to be exact) and the first thing we will need to know really is where your job is. I'm sure you've heard but if not traffic here is HORRENDOUS even in areas 70-80 miles away from the city, so that will be a big factor in where you can live. As far as the train goes, this will only really be convenient if you are lucky enough to work in downtown DC or in a suburb where offices are close to the train line. While there are a ton of jobs in DC proper, there are even more in close in suburban counties of Virginia and Maryland.

In terms of pricing, it will depend on what you wish to live in, studio apartment, condo, townhouse, etc...For 275K you could probably get a small 1-2 bdrm condo in suburban areas of VA about 25-30 miles from the city. You won't find anything really inside the beltway for under 300K, there are far more renters here because of insane prices.

In West Virginia you are really pushing along the outer edges of suburban Washignton (about 65-75 miles away), don't get me wrong A LOT of commuters live out there but it won't be an easy commute regardless of what you do. The MARC train goes to Martinsburg and is a 2 hour trip into the city, slightly less for Duffields and Harpers Ferry WV. I know there are 2 trains in the morning but ask others about specific times. If you decide not to take the train, the commute to DC will be 2 hours minimum with traffic, and that is if you leave long before 6am. Evenings will be even worse if you have conventional work hours. I really wouldn't recommend driving from the Eastern Panhandle to Washington, but again I know people who do.

Winters will be far better, warmer and a lot less snow. Just be prepared, I don't know how people drive in the snow in Boston, but in the DC area during the winter you must hope everyday that it doesn't snow during rush hour because I can tell you from experience you will be sitting for HOURS AND HOURS. I know this is a ton of info, but good luck with your search, DC area is a wonderful place to live!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 PM

167 posts, read 258,701 times
I currently live in PA, and I'm thinking about moving to Baker, WV. Does anyone have any information about this area. Baker is in Hardy county. I am a forklift operator and have worked in shipping/receiving for the past 12 years. Are there any jobs in the area that wouldn't mean a huge commute. My youngest son will be moving with me, and he's still in high school. What are the schools like in this area?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,630,188 times
As far as I know Hardy County is a very rural county...some family members of mine have a cabin on the Hardy/Pendleton County line where we have huge get togethers several weekends a year, and believe me it is definitely country living. Moorefield is the main town in Hardy County and is home to probably a few thousand residents, very small to me but of course I live in the DC area so it would depend on your living experiences. A lot of people in that area are employed by the poultry industry, as there are chicken farms EVERYWHERE. It is a very beautiful area, lots of farms and forest, plenty of outdoorsy things to do. I imagine many jobs are right around Moorefield, so the drive to work should be a breeze. Hardy County is about 3 hours from DC so it is way too far to be apart of the metro commuter belt. I have absolutely no idea about the schools as I grew up in a part of West Virginia that is several hours away.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
Since this is in WV then me thinks you want WV information. The housing market is starting to drop in Martinsburg. New homes that were advertised $250 and up are now being adv for $190 range. There are also lots of older well built homes in the area. But the down side is the commute MARC train to DC area leaves at 5:30 am gets back at 6PM about & if on time. Not sure about driving time....

Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 PM

33 posts, read 37,080 times
Come to Charles Town Wv and i'll take you to the horses or slots and buy you a drink,and show you around town.We love it here.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
There is more to Charles Town than just the Slots & Horse Races!! I have lived here 32+ years and except for working for a horse trainer [mucking stall...] And going there some years later with my best friend who was a trainer [died of cancer..] I dont go hanging at the track!! Charles Town Which is situated in Jefferson Co has LOTS of History! Of course now Lots of Homes!! There is Harpers Ferry which would take several ALL day trips to see all. There are Fairs, Art shows and lots more to the area than slots....And IF all the above poster can think to tell you about the area is the slots then they need AA & GA bad!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia