Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:49 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,346 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where there is duckpin bowling in WV, especially in north central area? My wife, who is from west coast, thinks some of my stories are made up, including the one about little tiny bowling balls. Way back in the day, I was stationed in Maryland, walking around Baltimore, too young to drink, and of course really wanting a beer. Somehow I discovered a place, up a dark stairway on the second floor, a tiny bowling alley where people were bowling with little balls, with no holes in them. Swear to God! And they served me beer. Not the most happenin' joint in town, I assure you, but hey, I was drinkin' beer! wooo-hooo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
Last year I was in Fairmont, Wv...a guy was remodeling the old building that had been the Eastland theater...in the bottom, in the basement was an old bowling alley...4 lanes and it was intact...Duckpin...and the pins and 1/2 sized ball were there too...had been shut up for years...It's been gutted out and converted into office space since then...Duckpin did exist, but I do not know its history...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
My mother, back in 30s, was a "pin-girl" at the duck-pin lanes in Marlinton.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:01 PM

385 posts, read 1,920,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
Does anyone know where there is duckpin bowling in WV, especially in north central area? My wife, who is from west coast, thinks some of my stories are made up, including the one about little tiny bowling balls. Way back in the day, I was stationed in Maryland, walking around Baltimore, too young to drink, and of course really wanting a beer. Somehow I discovered a place, up a dark stairway on the second floor, a tiny bowling alley where people were bowling with little balls, with no holes in them. Swear to God! And they served me beer. Not the most happenin' joint in town, I assure you, but hey, I was drinkin' beer! wooo-hooo!
Yeah, duckpin bowling is a Baltimore thing....

Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,245 times
The alleys were about 3 to 4' wide and about 20' long...a pin setter hoisted himself up on a board in the striking area...pins about 10" tall and the balls about 6" in diameter...about 4/5 lbls..I'm guessing..

we were looking at the electrical and it was a brief visit...I hope the owner kept that old antique...It should have been in a museum, now that I think about it.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:39 PM

175 posts, read 564,904 times
My cousin and I used to go Duckpin Bowling with our Grandfather in Williamson. I'm guessing we were about 7 or 8 years old at the time. The bowling alley was on Second Avenue on the second floor. The man who owned it was called "Paddle Foot" but I never knew his real name or when the establishment ceased to exist. Great fun for us to bowl in our sock feet as we had no bowling shoes. Even more fun just to hang out with our GrandPa!!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,718 times
I think duck pin bowling is slowly going out. Most of the bowling centers that had both duck and ten pin went to all ten pins. We actually had a duck pin center where we lived that was privately owned but he ended up closing it up last year.

Up in Main they have candle stick bowling where they used ten pins with duck pin balls, you used all the dead wood to play.

I love bowling, oh back in the day when I was on leagues it was so much fun. My hubby nor daughter doesn't care for it. Now I get to play on Wii, much fun also.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:30 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Ha-ha! I remember duck pin bowling in College Park MD many years ago! Man, that was a load of fun! You could really hurl those grapefruit sized marbles down the alley!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:16 PM

204 posts, read 418,032 times
Pikeside Bowl in Martinsburg,used to have duckpins,I haven't been there for at least 20 years. If they still have the little pins and balls I couldn't tell'ya. I know the bowling alley is still there.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:20 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Last time I was there (about a year ago) they didn't. At least none of the lanes were set up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia