Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times

Advertisements

Attached Thumbnails
"Perfect" weather in West Virginia?-img_1995.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 11:56 PM

Attached Thumbnails
"Perfect" weather in West Virginia?-christams-06-elko-nev-city-spring  

Old 07-28-2008, 12:02 AM

Attached Thumbnails
"Perfect" weather in West Virginia?-imgp1372-resized.jpg  

Old 07-28-2008, 05:25 AM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I am not putting down West Virginia or what you like in weather and scenery. I'm just saying that when you talk about perfect weather West Virginia is the last place anyone would think of. Most of those who come here to Nevada do so to get away from the weather back east, or at least that's what they say. Our weather isn't perfect but it's way better than any place east of the Rockies. That's usually indisputable by most people who are familiar with the weather in both places. Now if you are talking about the smell of cut grass, well we have grass and trees too, but most of us are switching to beautiful desert landscaping (xeriscape) and we don't waste time (or water) on grass.
My wife's family lives in Estes Park CO, and we're out there quite often so I know a fair share about the climate in the west.

Again- it's your opinion. I know plenty of people who rather miss the climate back here (and my mom would LOVE to move to Elkins or Canaan Valley, especially for the ability to garden w/out wasting water).

Oh and that's another thing- you think we all water our lawns? Last time I checked, we have enough of this precious resource called water that magically falls from the sky that keeps everything green around here

And I don't find sitting atop a 1946 Farmall A cutting hay (or even grass) to be a chore.

Yeah- the west is great. So is West Virginia, especially those high mountain places that were mentioned for the benefit of the OP.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Yeah, remember that this thread was started by someone who defined what "perfect" meant to him/her, and wondered if WV had weather like that.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
That's all true and I love those things about West Virginia too, but we were talking about perfect weather. When I picture West Virginia in my mind I always see it in the fall when the leaves are in full color. But when I think very much about it I feel my sinuses swelling up from the humidity.

BTW: I am looking out of my window at a mountain range with peaks over 11,000 feet, and snow year round in places; and covered with Aspen and pine forests with deer and elk running around. Mountain lions yes, but no bears or squirrels. In a short drive I can be in a different season whenever I want. We like to brag that we can snow ski (Mt. Charleston) and water ski (Lake Mead, largest man made body of water in the western hemisphere) in the same day. And it's very rare that I ever get a humidity headache like I had everyday in the east. Once you experience living in a desert climate anything else is just uncomfortable.

As far as perfect weather, the most perfect is in San Diego with Albuquerque possibly second. And the scenery in New Mexico, along with it's four seasons (and great smells), might remind you of West Virginia, but I'm sorry to say it is nicer. And that was really hard for me to admit since I believed for most of my life that the prettiest state was West Virginia. West Virginia is in the top ten, and maybe the top five, but as far as the most beautiful state though, Utah probably wins that title.
This is according to you.... and it seems you are more attracted to the desert climate than say green mountains with water.

I've never understood why anyone would want to move to a desert!!! it just doesn't make sense to me at all. I can see moving to a warmer or cooler climate. Naturally Florida/Carolinas/Georgia would are warmer without being a desert, and the north east and mid Atlantic cooler with more... RAIN... and water... which will come in quite handy in a few years when the south and desert west go dry and states start fighting over water. Oh hasn't that already started happening on the Colorado River???

Hows the housing market doing btw?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 AM

One of those misty fall mornings that make this region so wonderful:

Sitting in my treestand, overlooking a creek (named Threerun), with my bow on a cool October morning

Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 AM

And about 15 minutes later.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Threerun533/e93ef2de.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 AM

Blackwater Falls in July. No humidity to speak of, lower 80's at high noon.

Cooking on hardwood, btw

Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 AM

Who cares about cutting grass when you have the privelage to use a fine piece of American history like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Threerun533/102-0250_IMG.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia