Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 03:53 PM

18 posts, read 64,816 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to the Wheeling area in the next school term, 2009-2010. I'm in need of information on teaching jobs as well as places to reside in or near the area.

I have a few questions though and would appreciate some help.
1) What are the best schools for elementary education?
2) What are some kid friendly neighborhoods to live it?
3) Is it more preferable to live in Wheeling or live outside in a suburb?
4) Crime - any real problems? Concerned...But how bad is it?
5) Rental property? Houses? Apartments? Family of 4, with 2 toddlers.

We are moving from Georgia. I would appreciate any help that you could offer.
Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 AM

11 posts, read 48,546 times
Default From My Personal Experience

Hi. I went to college in Wheeling but live in NC now. I think that you'll find the area to be a pleasant surprise as far as teaching goes(I am a teacher.). WV has union and doesn't require as much non-teaching duties as are required in the south; it was shocking to see how much is required and how little support is available in comparison to a union state.

As far as the area goes, Wheeling is a bit run down looks wise. Things are older and more settled than what you might be used to. However, Wheeling is a very safe city. We used to go out all hours of the night, and there were never any problems.

Wheeling is also about an hour from Pittsburgh, and there are museums, etc. if you're into that. Wheeling also has a strong community arts support system.

There aren't any suburbs of Wheeling really. I would say that you don't want to live on Wheeling Island.

You don't have to really worry about crime or anything like that.

Ohio County vs. Marshall County...Marshall County is a bit rednecky; I think that Ohio County would be a better choice to raise a family. Marshall is more rural.

I don't know what you're used to at home, but though an economically depressed area, Wheeling is low-cost and safe.

Please feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,478 times
Wheeling is very nice. I have lived here my whole life but am relocating to FL. It's just that fun here. But as a kid I had a blast/ And, yeah its just a hour from pittsburgh and 2 from columbus. There aren't really any suburbs of wheeling, its a nice, small safe town IMO. if u need nemore info PM me

Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,493 times
I feel Wheeling is a great area to raise a family. I currently live here, raising a family and we do love it. We also live on Wheeling Island where I've lived my whole life. It is a great place to raise a family.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I was born in Wheeling and raised in Marshall County. The city itself is in a serious state of decline, but the outlaying areas are doing well. Mount Olivet would be a good choice as a very safe community as would Glen Dale. If you choose Wheeling proper Woodsdale is the place to live. Avoid the old downtown areas which really aren't that safe at night since they closed Vinyard Hills and mainstreamed the former residents there.

I think Marshall schools are a little better overall although they waste a lot of money there with needless construction. For one thing, they replaced the perfectly adequate Sherrard Grade School which was only 30 or so years old. Taxpayers took it on the chin. John Marshall High School is more middle class oriented than Wheeling Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia