Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times

Advertisements

Anyone from the extreme rural areas there? We've been looking at land in Roane, Kanawha (sp?), and Wayne counties. Looking for 100 to 200 acres that we can put a small cabin on for retirement.

Wondering what property taxes are like? The weather; highs and lows for winter / summer? The people? We want friendly people around us, but not so nosey that they'll be poking around the property. We live in an area of TN that's pretty similar to the areas we're looking for, and are hoping the prices and the people will be close to the same.

We'll be retired so work isn't an issue. Kids are grown and out of the house, so schools aren't an issue. We're both retired law enforcement and very capable of taking care of our of safety / security, so crime rates aren't an issue, unless there is over the top crime.

Any thoughts? We're fairly independent, self sufficient, private people. Just looking to start up a small farm and live in a peaceful area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
So your looking for an extreme rural area??? In central western WV???

thats odd, lol

I live in Kanawha County, and outside of Charleston there is some rural areas. But not alot

Try Roane, Wayne, or even northern Putnam

hope your sucsessful

Old 09-10-2009, 10:25 AM

4,965 posts, read 8,962,687 times
Try Wayne County. There are some areas there that are pretty rural but still close enough to the conveniences offered in Huntington for healthcare and shopping, etc. Winter weather isn't too severe in this area and we get very little snow in a typical year. You would also be close to several different opportunities for outdoor recreation in WV, KY and Ohio as well as major roadways for travel. Hope this is helpful and let me know if I can help in any other way.

Tim

Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll go pull up a map and start looking at land in those areas. Wish me luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia