Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM

204 posts, read 418,266 times

Advertisements

So how is everyone in Jefferson County going to vote on the table games,and why?
I'm voting YES,why not,it can only do good for the county,the pro's outweigh the con's by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
I'm not in Jefferson County. But i would like to see them vote yes! With it's proximity to DC, this could be huge for the area. And bring lot's of $$ to WV.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 48,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwhit View Post
So how is everyone in Jefferson County going to vote on the table games,and why?
I'm voting YES,why not,it can only do good for the county,the pro's outweigh the con's by far.
How can one county allow it in a state and not another?

I guess I thought gambling laws were a state thing.

I love to play Texas Hold-Em and wish there were leagues or tournaments around Parkersburg.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrywallerWV View Post
How can one county allow it in a state and not another?

I guess I thought gambling laws were a state thing.

I love to play Texas Hold-Em and wish there were leagues or tournaments around Parkersburg.
I believe table games passed in WV. But it is still up to each county gov whether they chose to allow it or not. Each county must vote to approve or disapprove if the issue comes up.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:42 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times
i can understand where jefferson county would benefit from the increased development of a solid business base, but i miss the logic behind an economy based on gambling. there was certainly an onslaught of telemarketers calling to tell me of the phenomenal benefits of allowing table games in the county. jefferson county is a suburb of the DC metro area, which is a fairly affluent area. i just miss the benefit to the county.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM

352 posts, read 796,995 times
There are so many people waiting for table games at Charles Town ...the revenue that this will bring to Jefferson County (and to WV) should be substantial. Not to mention the 500 jobs that will need to be filled...good paying jobs. Just hoping that the highways into Charles Town can handle the increased traffic. Just think of all the extra revenues from people staying at motels, eating at the restaurants, shopping, etc. It's a nice facility and should be able to handle all of the crowds that will be coming.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
It's very temporary. That's the problem I have with it. All revenue should be directed towards one time items or temporary shortfalls. There isn't going to be hotels filled when all the neighboring states also have table games. That was the resaon Ohio used to pass their expanded gambling. People might have drove down from Ohio or chartered a bus. They aren't when they can gamble closer. So what we end up with is just people in state spending money on gambling that some of them would have used for other things. The tax revenue and jobs are then lost on those other items.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 AM

352 posts, read 796,995 times
A large percentage of the people that gamble at Charles Town are coming from Maryland, Virginia, and D.C....Only Md. has passed the O.K. for slots and are really dragging their feet in getting them up and running. I think they will have no problems once the table games get under way ..as bad as the economy has been they are still "packing them in".

Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
A major problem is the structure of payments. The locales and counties where they are located do not get the lions share of tax revenue from them. That goes to state government and benefits areas where they are not located almost as much as where they are located, yet the home counties have to deal the the negative aspects of it. The situation should be basically reversed with the local areas getting most of the money. As usual, the politicos in Charleston have corrupted the system.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
No doubt. Williamstown is one of the largest contributors in gambling money (from being on the border) but they get almost nothing from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia