Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 PM

37 posts, read 79,413 times

Advertisements

It’s getting closer. Some of you may remember that I planned on moving from Missouri to Parkersburg, WV. this June. For those that don’t know my wife and I are moving back to WV to be with our 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren. Plus my wife’s family (3 sisters and 1 brother) still live in WV. It has been over 30 years since my wife has lived in WV, but we have visited every year since then.
I’m just wondering now am I crazy? On the one hand my wife and I both want to be around our grandchildren and watch them grow up. We have already missed so much with the older ones ( Alexis and Dalton are 14 and Morgan and Hunter are 7 years old). Our 2 daughters are really excited about us moving near them. They both told us we could stay with them as long as we want until we find a place.
Now the crazy part. I work as a Production Supervisor making 50k a year at a small factory here in Mo. When we move I will not have a job or any pay until I do find a job. We have already talked about the fact that I will probably be making less money in WV. and are o.k. with that. I still have 12 years to go before I can retire!
What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,390 times
If you're having second thoughts about the pay cut, I don't think you'll ever regret being with your family. You may end up earning more than you think.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
Age Discrimination is a real factor here...line up a job before you make the move.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 AM

80 posts, read 257,680 times
West Virginia's unemployment rate is over 11% now so jobs are hard to come by.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
There are a lot of places looking to hire people with experience now. It's less expensive to train them and they aren't around long enough to build up a large retirement.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 PM

19,781 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Money isn't everything. I'm moving to MT (with a job) but it's a lateral type move and I'm footing the relo bill. We'll be closer to family in CO and points west though (my sister lives in Alaska).

I was offered more money if I would stay here. I told them the same thing I'm telling you- "It ain't about the money".

Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Age Discrimination is a real factor here...line up a job before you make the move.
That would be my advice is to line up a job, that is what my husband did before we moved here.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:27 PM

37 posts, read 79,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
That's one of the problems, lining a job up is hard to do when out of state. Most employers don't even look at your resume when it is out of state and if they do they want you to come in for a interview.
I have over 30 years as a plant supervisor in the metal industry. But as you know manufacturing in the U.S.A. is really drying up. I would not have any problem going into a different field of work. I was thinking of something in the security business or the medical field.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:31 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,167 times
Medical should be good, all us geezers like myself, DK, CTM, etc., are gonna need geriatric care soon.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTom View Post
I’m just wondering now am I crazy?

I work as a Production Supervisor making 50k a year at a small factory here in Mo. When we move I will not have a job or any pay until I do find a job. We have already talked about the fact that I will probably be making less money in WV. and are o.k. with that. I still have 12 years to go before I can retire!
What are your thoughts on this?
My thoughts are that if you have a large savings account to comfortably live on while you're seeking employment, you're not crazy. If you're moving back on an already tight budget - you may be. Others have already said it. High unemployment and being middle-aged isn't the best mix. It might be cheaper to just pay the gas an visit more often until you actually have a job lined up ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia