Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 15,735 times

Advertisements

From Kansas City, living in Detroit and now relocating to West Virginia!

My husband and I looking for recommendations for cities/towns to live near Hagerstown, MD where he recently got a job. We live in Detroit now - and absolutely hate it due to crime/safety issues. When we moved here two years ago we were fresh out of college and chose a location close to my husbands office which was a mistake. We live in a "rough" neighborhood and have had issues with neighbors trying to break in. We do not want to make the same mistake twice so we are hoping that the wonderful people of Maryland will help us with relocation advice and help us to find a lovely place to live!

About Us
Activities: Running, photography, we both ride dirt-bikes, camping, canoeing, going to the movies, flea market/antiquing and traveling/road/day trips to major cities.
Pets: one dog
Lifestyle: Enjoy a variety of restaurants/hole-in-the-walls nearby, not big on nightclubs but enjoy small pubs, exercise: yoga, running clubs, gyms
Shopping: Target/Walmart, nice grocery store/market, Walgreens pharmacy, mall, movie theatres, farmers markets, etc...
Preferred Type of Community: Looking for a friendly "backyard/cookout" neighborly vibe, prefer not to be too cramped with neighbors (looking for rental houses not apartments/townhouses), safe community, parks nearby - dog-parks are a bonus too, safe to run/walk alone, looking for a town that would be "fun" to live in with plenty of events, younger crowd
Commute: Maximum hour commute from Hagerstown.

Which towns/neighborhoods should we focus our search on based on our lifestyle/needs? We drove through Hagerstown during a recent trip to DC two weeks ago and thought it was very charming. It was our first and only time in the state or area so we could use some local advice. We would really appreciate any help you can offer! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 AM

380 posts, read 1,160,878 times
Look throughout northern & north-eastern Jefferson County and the northern 1/4 of Berkeley down to the top side of Martinsburg. Rentals for the type of home you are looking for are available throughout the area, but you will have to look both with the realtors [ HomesDatabase - Home for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania ] and in the local papers [www.journal-news.net ; The Herald-Mail ] and you can pick up a Valley Trader at a convenience store.

There are similar rentals throughout Washington county MD as well, housing tends to be more affordable west of Hagerstown. But, you will find your total cost of living to be much cheaper in WV although it will be a trade off for convenience to work.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,322,197 times
Sounds like you are describing Cumberland, Md, to me.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,381,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaw View Post
From Kansas City, living in Detroit and now relocating to West Virginia!

My husband and I looking for recommendations for cities/towns to live near Hagerstown, MD where he recently got a job. We live in Detroit now - and absolutely hate it due to crime/safety issues. When we moved here two years ago we were fresh out of college and chose a location close to my husbands office which was a mistake. We live in a "rough" neighborhood and have had issues with neighbors trying to break in. We do not want to make the same mistake twice so we are hoping that the wonderful people of Maryland will help us with relocation advice and help us to find a lovely place to live!

About Us
Activities: Running, photography, we both ride dirt-bikes, camping, canoeing, going to the movies, flea market/antiquing and traveling/road/day trips to major cities.
Pets: one dog
Lifestyle: Enjoy a variety of restaurants/hole-in-the-walls nearby, not big on nightclubs but enjoy small pubs, exercise: yoga, running clubs, gyms
Shopping: Target/Walmart, nice grocery store/market, Walgreens pharmacy, mall, movie theatres, farmers markets, etc...
Preferred Type of Community: Looking for a friendly "backyard/cookout" neighborly vibe, prefer not to be too cramped with neighbors (looking for rental houses not apartments/townhouses), safe community, parks nearby - dog-parks are a bonus too, safe to run/walk alone, looking for a town that would be "fun" to live in with plenty of events, younger crowd
Commute: Maximum hour commute from Hagerstown.

Which towns/neighborhoods should we focus our search on based on our lifestyle/needs? We drove through Hagerstown during a recent trip to DC two weeks ago and thought it was very charming. It was our first and only time in the state or area so we could use some local advice. We would really appreciate any help you can offer! Thank you!
You can try Falling Waters. Hagerstown has all the stores you mentioned and Falling Waters is equally apart from Martinsburg and Hagerstown.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 AM

530 posts, read 780,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I agree! Cumberland is beautiful and maybe take a peek at Ridgely WV it is literally right across the blue bridge and is very tiny but it only takes a couple minutes to be right in downtown Cumberland. Good luck!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM

54 posts, read 145,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
That's a long drive to Hagerstown though. In the winter, it can be a couple of hours.

Here in the Charles Town/Ranson metroplex, there are several neighborhoods that seem to fit your description. We are close to the C&O Canal (a great place for biking/running) and both the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers. I would guess it's 35 minutes from my house to Hagerstown (through Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg.

Shopping is limited to Kohl's/Wal-Mart, though Weis and Martin's are nice supermarkets (though a step below a place like Wegmans). There is no mall here, but several with 40 minutes (Winchester, Hagerstown, Frederick, Leesburg/Dulles).

Depending on your long-term plans, I would seriously consider buying. Homes in nice, stable neighborhoods are selling for next-to-nothing as people get out from underwater mortgages. Short-sales and foreclosures are available in just about every type of neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,121 times
My husband and I are your age and here is my take on the area....

in addition to the above comment, charles town/ranson is about 15 minutes to Martinsburg where you have some new stores to the area...your target, best buy, tj maxx, etc. and there is a small mall there. But you are not far from a good outing at the outlests in either Leesburg or Hagerstown.

You said you like running, tons of trails for that. Plenty of photography opportunities, Harper's Ferry is gorgeous any time of year. There are always people rafting and kayaking and stuff in that area of the potomac.

If you are looking to rent for a little more you can always try Frederick County, MD. I grew up there and still work there. Downtown frederick has great dinning, culure, and some little bars if you are into that.

Hagerstown itself is great too, it is cheaper than frederick county. If you go outside city limits there are tons of nice places. use to live there for 2 years too before buying in charles town, wv.All and all the entire area around here has tons of good places where i am sure you can be happy.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 AM

84 posts, read 202,274 times
Falling Waters and Spring Mills would be my suggestion. Nice new schools, subdivisions, and retail. A lot of young couples seem to be moving into that area and from what I've seen it is a very safe community. Compared to Detroit (I'm from Romulus, MI) any city in this area is by far safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia