Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM

57 posts, read 138,465 times

Advertisements

If so I cannot find any info on it. I plan to move right across the line to wv to avoid buying home in md bc of high taxes. Is this smart? Would I save anything? I know people must do this as I always see wv tags at stores across the md line. I'd be living in berkley county. Any info on here or where to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woot21210 View Post
If so I cannot find any info on it. I plan to move right across the line to wv to avoid buying home in md bc of high taxes. Is this smart? Would I save anything? I know people must do this as I always see wv tags at stores across the md line. I'd be living in berkley county. Any info on here or where to buy?
There is property tax, but it is not high. Income tax too, but again not too high. Tax rates in WV < MD tax rates.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
You should be able to contact the County Assessor and see what the property tax is on a particular parcel. The county will have all the info on school bonds, etc., that might affect your taxes.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
You Have Personal Property which inc Cars & Mobile Homes Horse Mules etc Farm Tax usually cover Live Stock other than horse Faram Equ Dog Tags covers you Dogs Tax Realestate Taxes covers Homes Not Movable & Land. All Based on What You OWN July 1st of Each Year....You summit form & have til Sept 1st then they Bill you the Following Year Personal Taxes from the Year befroe Must be paid Before you can recieve Car Tags.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Dog tags are $3 per year in Monongalia County.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,949,212 times
This might help some:

West Virginia | Tax Foundation

Virginia | Tax Foundation

Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Berkely Co Dog tags are $3 per Dog. After 5 you Must have a Kennel Lic even if they are fixed. Inside Martinsburg City Limits $6 LIMIT 2 Dogs! Service Dogs FREE

Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Elkins even makes you register your cats... supposedly its 5 per cat. ??? Not sure of a limit...

As if I registered mine.. bahahahhah

They never go outside anyway.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
So I'm surprised West Virginia is actually ranked as more business friendly than Virginia? But I'm NOT surprised at all that Maryland is ranked the 43th least business friendly state and that tax freedom day comes very late in Maryland.

I AM also wondering about the personal property tax. I will be moving from Maryland to West Virginia for graduate school this summer. My car is currently titled in Maryland and I'm wondering if I should just keep it titled in Maryland with Maryland tags. I will be living in West Virginia most of the year but I will be attending a private institution so in-state status doesn't really matter. But I would like to be registered to vote in West Virginia since its more of a swing state than Maryland. Can I obtain a West Virginia license but still keep my car titlted in Maryland in order to avoid the personal property tax on vehicles? How bad is it exactly??? Maryland doesn't have THIS tax I don't think on cars, but there are a lot of other ridiculous taxes. Recently here they just raised the alcohol tax, income tax, cigarette tax, highway tolls, the GAS TAX, and Maryland also has a flush tax, a wind farm tax, and a rain tax that everyone has to pay. I do buy alcohol and cigarettes in WV when I visit and help my friends stock up because THOSE things are taxed less in WV.

But my concern is if I keep my car titlted in Maryland I would still have to go for emissions tests (MD has ridiculously stringent standards) and pay the titlting fees which have also been increased in order to fund mass transit in the DC area and Baltimore. I know West Virginia has the personal property tax, but how bad is it compared to Maryland's license renewal fees, titling fees, etc.

Also with taxes this year i'll have worked several months in Maryland and probably if I work part time when I'm in school there part of the year in WV I wonder if I get to choose which state to file taxes in, where I will be able to pay less income tax. I will be living in Kanawha County but not in the City of Charleston. Also wondering if there are ridiculous local taxes for example in Maryland our governor is forcing some counties to charge a rain tax on the rain that falls on our property it is a tax on residents in areas like Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County. Finally wondering about any fees, if any, pertains to purchasing handguns in West Virginia. Now I know West Virginia is much more gun friendly than Maryland, but just wondering I have recently begun to go shooting on a regular basis and wanted to buy a gun while living in the city of Baltimore and then moved to the suburbs where I felt more safe, and I know WV is even safer, but I feel owning a gun is important for self defense no matter where you live.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
I don't think you can switch your tags on your car without switching the title also. And when you do, you have to pay the personal property tax (based on the vehicle's current value). Then, if you move back to Maryland (or to some other state), you'll have to switch it again. Even though it means having the MD emissions test, you're probably better off leaving it registered and titled in Maryland.

Not sure about the income tax. You might have to file two state returns, to Maryland for your MD income and to West Virginia for WV income. I don't believe there are any local earned income taxes, but I could be wrong about that.

Other than the usual sales tax, I can't imagine any tax in WV on gun purchases getting anywhere in the legislature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia