Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times

Advertisements

You must title the car in WV in order to get a tag. New Residents

It will also be a hassle getting a WV driver's license because of the Homeland Security requirements for various identification. Scroll down to the Out of state license transfers. Driver's Licenses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM

You will have to file income tax in WV but you get a deduction for the income taxes paid in another state so that washes out.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM

110 posts, read 224,442 times
[quote=snorpus;29356513]I don't think you can switch your tags on your car without switching the title also. And when you do, you have to pay the personal property tax (based on the vehicle's current value). Then, if you move back to Maryland (or to some other state), you'll have to switch it again. Even though it means having the MD emissions test, you're probably better off leaving it registered and titled in Maryland.

No longer true. Accordingto Vehicle License Information
"New Residents must have their vehicles titled and registered within thirty (30) days of establishing residency.
The fees include a $10 title fee, a $5 lien fee if applicable, and a regular registration fee of $30. The 5% sales tax on a vehicles' value has been eliminated for new residents moving into West Virginia with a vehicle already titled in their name in another state."
There is more info at the site that you need to read for yourself.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM

385 posts, read 615,344 times
WV car registration is $30/yr. The title transfer and sales tax will only have to be paid once when you move into the state.

MD car registration is either $128 or $180 every two years, depending on if it is over or under 3700 pounds.

WV does have the personal property tax which is assessed by the county on the vehicle's blue book value, but the rate is low. I pay about $150/yr on five old(ish) cars, two motorcycles, and three horse/utility trailers.

WV has no smog test but there is an annual safety inspection.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 AM

The annual inspection fee is $12.66.

As a graduate "student", you may have the choice of whether you are considered a resident of WV for the purpose of vehicle title. I would ask that question if you are interested in keeping your MD tags. Since the sales tax has been eliminated, your total expenses may be less in WV so you will just have to do the math for your circumstance.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
Sales tax was eliminated on a vehicle brought. But there is still annual personal property tax on it, some % of the book value. These are two different taxes.

You file this form (or current version of it) for Kanawha County: http://www.kanawha.us/assessor/docum...perty_Form.pdf IF the book value of your vehicle is high, particularly if the vehicle is expensive + only a year or two old, then the personal property tax is also going to be high. Like, my ex bought a new Chevy truck stickered $32,000 in 2002 and then the first year of personal property tax on it was $500 or $550 or something like that. The older the vehicle(s), the lower the tax. It's tied to some book value that the state uses, and not necessarily the KBB or Edmunds, etc.

Call the assessor's office and ask for an estimate. The Official Kanawha County, WV Web Site That's all I can suggest. I haven't lived there since 2005.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Yes that will be a decision I have to make regarding my car. I wonder since not all states have a personal property tax, if that can be deducted from my federal tax return.

I was very shocked to learn of the personal property tax in WV. I've always thought WV was very low tax and business friendly compared to Maryland, well it still is but there is still some room for improvement. I'm glad they are discussing removing the tolls on the WV Turnpike and I hope the personal property tax is reduced or eliminated in the future. If I change my residency and register to vote in WV no dobut I will be voting for those who support lower taxes and a more pro-business environment that will benefit the economy.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 AM

Personal property taxes are deductible on your Federal Income Tax if you itemize.

Those taxes are paid a year behind and I don't believe you have to pay any to obtain your original title or tags. Sometimes you have to get a statement from the assessor's office stating you were not due to pay taxes due to not owning the property at the time of the assessment because of this situation.

A visit to the DMV in Kanawha City after your arrival could get all your questions answered at one location then you could come back and zip right through the process.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM

385 posts, read 615,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I was very shocked to learn of the personal property tax in WV. I've always thought WV was very low tax and business friendly compared to Maryland, well it still is but there is still some room for improvement.
It is, it's just that you have to add up all of the taxes every year. Keeping my small biz registered/active in WV is about $100 per year which includes all filing fees and state taxes, while in MD the filing fee alone is $300.00 per year.

At least with the personal property tax you have control over how much or little you pay each year through your choice of daily driver(s).

Old 05-02-2013, 10:15 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Elkins even makes you register your cats... supposedly its 5 per cat. ??? Not sure of a limit...

As if I registered mine.. bahahahhah

They never go outside anyway.
$5.00 for a 10¢ cat? That is crazy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia