Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 04:46 PM

723 posts, read 1,005,332 times

Advertisements

Need advice on moving into New Rochelle; commute looks great. How is the high school there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Commute is great, no doubt about it.

I employ a bunch of kids rom NRHS. None have much good to say about it. Here's a website that will help jump-start your research: New Rochelle's Talk of the Sound | News for New Rochelle

Old 09-25-2010, 10:08 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
I sent you a direct message. Check you notifications top right.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 350,126 times
I am a product of New Rochelle but I grew up there in 70's and 80's. That's where my dad grew up and he wanted to raise his family there too. I lived in the North End close to the border of Scarsdale. My parents didn't need to commute to the city, so proximity to the train wasn't a factor. Although, as I got older and wanted to hang out in Manhattan, it was a bit of a hassle.

I have to say that I had a very nice life. There were plenty of elementary schools at the time, so overcrowding wasn't an issue. We had nice diversity among the classes too. The junior high (in my case, Albert Leonard) and the high school catered to all levels of academics. The high school even has a planetarium, which is really cool. There were some nice amenities in town as well. It's pretty easy to get around to other communities too- like Larchmont, White Plains, etc. At the time, the downtown area wasn't that nice- it still isn't- but we did have a roller rink, movie theaters and a mall.

Not to dis my hometown but I wouldn't raise my kids in the New Rochelle of today, unless I could afford private school. We have a friend who's granddaughter just graduated from the high school and had a great experience. I think, as with any district, some kids do well, some kids don't. I have heard that it is good for special education.

Even though they are trying to revitalize the downtown area, its still a bit dirty. I personally don't know if they can turn that area in to a bustling, trendy part of town.

Here's my advice, if you really want to consider New Rochelle, I would look at the following areas:

if you don't need to commute, look at the North end, off of pinebrook blvd, near stratton road, for Ward School.

If you need to commute, I'd would choose closer to Davis school so you could commute thru Scarsdale, although I don't know about the parking situation for non residents. Or look into Wykagyl or Bayberry areas, as the ride down North Ave, Pinebrook blvd or Webster Ave to the train isn't too long.

To be closest to the New Rochelle train station, I would recommend the San Souci area on the other side of town, near the Long Island Sound and the beach clubs, and put your kids in private school.

Of course, I am only a visitor now but I can see the changes from what it was. Although it does have some nice things to offer, I can think of better areas that offer a good life. I mean, if you're going to pay the high property taxes and can't take advantage of the schools, then its better to look somewhere else.

I don't know your situation, it might be great for you. Perhaps some others will chime in as well.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:41 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlover View Post
I am a product of New Rochelle but I grew up there in 70's and 80's. That's where my dad grew up and he wanted to raise his family there too. I lived in the North End close to the border of Scarsdale. My parents didn't need to commute to the city, so proximity to the train wasn't a factor. Although, as I got older and wanted to hang out in Manhattan, it was a bit of a hassle.

I have to say that I had a very nice life. There were plenty of elementary schools at the time, so overcrowding wasn't an issue. We had nice diversity among the classes too. The junior high (in my case, Albert Leonard) and the high school catered to all levels of academics. The high school even has a planetarium, which is really cool. There were some nice amenities in town as well. It's pretty easy to get around to other communities too- like Larchmont, White Plains, etc. At the time, the downtown area wasn't that nice- it still isn't- but we did have a roller rink, movie theaters and a mall.

Not to dis my hometown but I wouldn't raise my kids in the New Rochelle of today, unless I could afford private school. We have a friend who's granddaughter just graduated from the high school and had a great experience. I think, as with any district, some kids do well, some kids don't. I have heard that it is good for special education.

Even though they are trying to revitalize the downtown area, its still a bit dirty. I personally don't know if they can turn that area in to a bustling, trendy part of town.

Here's my advice, if you really want to consider New Rochelle, I would look at the following areas:

if you don't need to commute, look at the North end, off of pinebrook blvd, near stratton road, for Ward School.

If you need to commute, I'd would choose closer to Davis school so you could commute thru Scarsdale, although I don't know about the parking situation for non residents. Or look into Wykagyl or Bayberry areas, as the ride down North Ave, Pinebrook blvd or Webster Ave to the train isn't too long.

To be closest to the New Rochelle train station, I would recommend the San Souci area on the other side of town, near the Long Island Sound and the beach clubs, and put your kids in private school.

Of course, I am only a visitor now but I can see the changes from what it was. Although it does have some nice things to offer, I can think of better areas that offer a good life. I mean, if you're going to pay the high property taxes and can't take advantage of the schools, then its better to look somewhere else.

I don't know your situation, it might be great for you. Perhaps some others will chime in as well.

I have a friend who saw a nice Tudor on Glenmore drive but there is a big school/church building blocking her front door view. The house has a lot of potential. Is this a nice area? The homes on the block seem to be nice but it seems like a mixrd bag on Webster Ave. Can you shed any light.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 350,126 times
1nevets

There are great old homes in that whole area, between Eastchester Rd and Lincoln, off of Webster, but even growing up and knowing people in the area, I preferred the north end. I never felt unsafe, and the neighbors of my friends were very nice. I would think that some pockets are ok, some may not be. And certainly, the closer you get to lincoln avenue, the closer you are to some not so great areas, although further down Lincoln, you get close to Pelham, which is a nice community.

Webster Elementary is a magnet, so at least there is a good elementary nearby.

I would stick to anything in that area that is off of Webster but closer to the Wykagyl area, like Berrian Road, Rose Hill, Seacord, etc, more between Eastchester Road and the Hutch, rather than being closer to Lincoln Avenue.

Unfortunately, I do not know the demographics of the area now, so I can't say how it has changed.

hope that I've helped a little bit

Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlover View Post
1nevets

There are great old homes in that whole area, between Eastchester Rd and Lincoln, off of Webster, but even growing up and knowing people in the area, I preferred the north end. I never felt unsafe, and the neighbors of my friends were very nice. I would think that some pockets are ok, some may not be. And certainly, the closer you get to lincoln avenue, the closer you are to some not so great areas, although further down Lincoln, you get close to Pelham, which is a nice community.

Webster Elementary is a magnet, so at least there is a good elementary nearby.

I would stick to anything in that area that is off of Webster but closer to the Wykagyl area, like Berrian Road, Rose Hill, Seacord, etc, more between Eastchester Road and the Hutch, rather than being closer to Lincoln Avenue.

Unfortunately, I do not know the demographics of the area now, so I can't say how it has changed.

hope that I've helped a little bit

That helps a lot. She likes the block because it seems to be diverse but solid middle class. She is concerned that the Lincoln element will find its way up Webster. Houses further up Webster went out of her price range and the residents seem to be less diverse.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM

24 posts, read 72,179 times
Someone told me that New Rochelle was one of the most dangerous parts of Westchester, but I don't think he really knows what he's talking about since he is very wealthy and living in the upper east side.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
If people are looking for a home with kids, there is absolutely a reason to live on the north end...the elementary and middle schools fare much better.

Clearly, you have different priorities, but most people that move to Westchester do so for the safety, suburban feel and great schools...things that the south side do not get high marks for. And some parts of New Roc ARE dangerous. Don't make it out to sound like an eclectic suburban melting pot.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:16 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Moderator cut: Removed orphaned quote
A couple weeks ago a kid was stabbed to death in broad daylight in the downtown. It was in front of Chase Bank across the street from the post office and a stone's throw from Trump tower. It wasn't a random killing. The killer had a vendetta against the victim and was promptly arrested, along with a couple accomplices. Nevertheless, i continue to do my banking at the very same Chase branch. Make of this what you will.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-28-2010 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County