Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times

Advertisements

I actually don't mind Westchester at all, I was just joking with the OP about us having more to do than CT because really, nothing compares to NYC.

Cali, we've actually been up north a few times, but so far we haven't found an area that we are comfortable with. Like you, we choked when we saw the taxes in Pleasantville. We are beach people at heart, and we feel that in that regard, Greenwich has more to offer. The fact that the schools are also very highly ranked, while the taxes are 1/4 - 1/3 of Westchester's certainly makes it a worthwhile contender at least for us, so that is where we are currently focusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,442 times
Greenwich is lovely and has the nice coastal vibe, but I have to say that it's the only place so far (have not spent much time in Scarsdale or Bronxville though), where people were less than friendly and gave off a snobby, chilly vibe. We also had the worst "Mexican" food there since being in NY, bar none. On the other hand, some of my closest work colleagues live there and love it.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
In Westchester, it can take you 40 minutes to go 7 miles with no traffic, because there is no true cross-county freeway, the lights are not timed, and you can never turn right on right.
THANK YOU! I mentioned this earlier in a different thread and was told it was all my imagination. Because us Long Islanders is right stoopid I reckon'

YOU CANNOT MAKE A RIGHT ON RED ANYWHERE IN THIS DUMP! If you do, theres some inbred village cop who is the mayors son's uncle's mistress twice removed on Aunt Gina's side from Brooklyn, no, not that Gina, the Gina with the glasses whose father was a bricklayers sisters cousin just itching to bring that $ in for the village ATM/court of totally fair and unbiased law.

Incidentally, re: Long Island cost of living, out of allllllll the friends I grew up with, only two still live there, the rest all moved down south (late 20's in age). I moved to this monument to the art of the rip-off just to be closer to work in the city (the train from Bay Shore really sucked), and now thats no longer an issue I close on my house in Virginia soon, CANNOT wait to get out.

And if you think you can life here on 100k, you'd better triple that to live comfortably.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Ooops, I meant turn right on red...but everyone that lives here will know what I mean. They do it in CT, too, though. It is truly annoying. I can understand in front of a school during arrival or dismissal times, or even on a winding road where there is a blind curve, but I have sat at many a light in an empty intersection for no good reason wondering if I would really get caught for doing it. Now I know!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Its not shrinking , actually surprising the whole Northeast isn't shrinking. Its still growing , there is a new Trend in the Population growth. Cities are growing faster and towns are growing slower. White Plains , New Rochelle , Port Chester , Peekskill , and Yonkers are all growing. Fed by singles , College students and retired couples are moving into the cities. Lowered Crime , new Amenities , better Transit and Quality of life are driving that. Almost Every Northeastern City is seeing this happen , towns along Railways are also seeing this happen.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Actually, there used to be a toll plaza on the Merritt Pkwy between the NY state line and the exit for Round Hill Rd in Greenwich. I can't remember what year it was when they took it down. There also used to be another toll plaza on the Merritt Pkwy up around the Milford/Stratford area.
If I remember correctly, there also used to be a toll plaza on I-95 in Greenwich, just before you got to the exit for Arch St (exit 3) heading north.
I just looked it up, 95 hasn't had any tolls since 1985. The merritt hasn't had tolls since 1988.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 PM

TDNY, I assume you mean in CT? There is one very annoying one in New Rochelle one exit past mine.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
TDNY, I assume you mean in CT? There is one very annoying one in New Rochelle one exit past mine.
Yeah, CT removed the tolls. The only tolls in the region that NY has removed (and for cars only, not trucks) is the Spring Valley (Rockland Co) tollbooth on the Thruway.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,464 times
They removed one from the Hutch.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I seriously wish they put up concrete border at the NY State line... NY People dont deserve to be in CT... They and their crappy trashy close minded attitude can stay in NY where it goes unnoticed. Period. We have no room for NY people in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County