Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 PM

37 posts, read 137,313 times

Advertisements

I've lived in lower Manhattan all my life and am looking to make a change. The "community" that I once knew is long gone, and, well, Manhattan has become too crowded for me and now I'm looking for a smaller city - an up and coming type of place in Yonkers. I visit relatives in Bay Ridge from time to time it's too conservative for me, but convenient to Williamsburg.

I applied to Progressive Insurance in Yonkers - don't know if I'll get a response, though. if I happen to get a job up there I'd rather avoid the commute, and rent or buy an apt.

Also, I've been looking through real estate ads and there is this pretty big luxury-type development along the Hudson River in Yonkers - $400K for a one-bedroom! But I read some rather discouraging things about Yonkers on this site. Does anyone know if people actually live in there?

Last edited by rqnll; 07-17-2007 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 07:04 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rqnll View Post
I've lived in lower Manhattan all my life and am looking to make a change. The "community" that I once knew is long gone, and, well, Manhattan has become too crowded for me and now I'm looking for a smaller city - an up and coming type of place in Yonkers. I visit relatives in Bay Ridge from time to time it's too conservative for me, but convenient to Williamsburg.

I applied to Progressive Insurance in Yonkers - don't know if I'll get a response, though. if I happen to get a job up there I'd rather avoid the commute, and rent or buy an apt.

Also, I've been looking through real estate ads and there is this pretty big luxury-type development along the Hudson River in Yonkers - $400K for a one-bedroom! But I read some rather discouraging things about Yonkers on this site. Does anyone know if people actually live in there?
up and coming is a phrase that is rarely associated with yonkers, old and depressed is a better description

Old 07-17-2007, 07:16 PM

9 posts, read 121,698 times
I actually just moved to Yonkers from MI. Its really boring for me so i'm looking to move elsewhere, however, the Waterfront is where you would want to look. There are a few apartment buildings that they built and a few more they are building and everyone tells me that this is the up and coming area of Yonkers. They are a little on the pricey side, at least for me they are, but many of the people that live there actually work in Manhattan but don't want to deal with rent prices, commute, etc. I think maybe you should look into that.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 AM

139 posts, read 617,838 times
Much to people's surprise...parts of Yonkers are up and coming thanks to the revitalization of the water front. Thanks too, to the revitalized Yonkers Raceway now having slot machines and pulling in tons of money, the Cross county shopping center is getting a make over with more upscale stores and parking. Like anywhere there are what people consider "good" and "bad" parts of Yonkers. I would not consider Yonkers a "smaller" city, it depends where you are and at what time. Yonkers was always considered the 6th boro and at times when I am there if I am on Central or Kimball ave. I like to call it a mini manhattan because of the traffic. Depending on where you live, parking might be a problem. I visit a relative on Midland Ave. and always seem to park 3-4 blocks away. People who are knocking Yonkers have not seen what they are trying to do there. I no longer live there but I am back often and there are a lot of changes going on and more police are patrolling in neighborhoods that need them there. Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 03-04-2008 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 08-25-2007, 06:55 PM

37 posts, read 137,313 times
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: