Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 AM

11 posts, read 25,505 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the US with my family (wife and 2 year old daughter) in October. I'll be working at a company in Varick street, NYC. We've been looking around for places that are sort of similar to the setup we have in South Africa, and Westchester looks very good. The only problem is we probably would have to get by without a car for the first couple of months. Is that a possibility in areas of Westchester? How is the public transport commuting to and from NYC?

Bonus questions, I've seen some places for rent being advertised on Zillow for under $3000 in New Rochelle and portions of Scarsdale. Does this sound accurate? The places are normally small 2 or 3 bedroom houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 08:29 AM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times
Not having a car in Westchester really isn't an option. BUT, for a couple of months you might be able to survive IF you found a house within walking distance to a train station. But then what will your wife and daughter do? They will most likely be stuck at home. The bus system is poor at best. I suppose you could use taxis to get your groceries, or go anywhere, so maybe that's an option if it's only for a couple of months.

For a very short term I'm sure you could manage without a car. But it's going to be a PITA.

I'd honestly recommend renting in Manhattan for a while. You certainly don't need a car there, and your wife and daughter would be able to keep themselves entertained for sure. I know what it's like to be alone at home with a baby in a strange town where you don't know anyone. Not having a car to get out and about would have made it unbearable.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschutte View Post
I'm moving to the US with my family (wife and 2 year old daughter) in October. I'll be working at a company in Varick street, NYC. We've been looking around for places that are sort of similar to the setup we have in South Africa, and Westchester looks very good. The only problem is we probably would have to get by without a car for the first couple of months. Is that a possibility in areas of Westchester? How is the public transport commuting to and from NYC?

Bonus questions, I've seen some places for rent being advertised on Zillow for under $3000 in New Rochelle and portions of Scarsdale. Does this sound accurate? The places are normally small 2 or 3 bedroom houses.
For a few months, I would definitely say it is possible, especially if you live near a Metro-North station (even if you don't use Metro-North, the stations are generally hubs for buses from the surrounding areas).

In New Rochelle, I would definitely say it is possible, since it is a major stop on the New Haven Line. Scarsdale is a little less feasable, but you still the Metro-North station, as well as the BL-21/21 and BL-40/41, which run fairly frequently.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Without seeing the listings myself, I would guess that the only part of Scarsdale where you could get a house for under $3K a month is the portion zoned for New Rochelle schools - and that is the area that is literally in the middle of nowhere.

I would also stick to New Rochelle and White Plains for walkability, but really, anywhere walkable to a station is not ideal for living long term with small kids. For about $500+ per month, you might consider renting a small car for a few months to get by instead. Westchester is absolutely not a place where you can get by without a car. I know some families that even struggle getting by with only 1 car.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the info. Renting a car might be a good idea.

Also what are the odds of finding furnished places in that price range? We are not sure yet if we want to ship all our stuff from South Africa since it will probably end being cheaper to buy new stuff.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Fleetwood area. Housing, innumerable shops and restaurants and all of Fleetwood and Bronxvilles offerings within a half-hour walk.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschutte View Post
Thanks for all the info. Renting a car might be a good idea.

Also what are the odds of finding furnished places in that price range? We are not sure yet if we want to ship all our stuff from South Africa since it will probably end being cheaper to buy new stuff.
Here is a map of the public transportation system in Westchester. Even if you decide to rent a car, public transportation can prevent you from having to rent a second car.

http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf (broken link)

Here are the schedules for all the bus routes in Westchester. If you are looking in a particular area, you can look at the schedule to see if the buses run at the times you would need them, and at a reasonable frequency (you wouldn't want your spouse or children waiting 60 minutes for a bus if you couldn't drive them):

Bee-Line Bus Timetables and Maps

Old 05-28-2011, 09:54 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
A furnished house might be a bit difficult, but you can contact a furniture rental company if you need to rent while decorating the house. Or, you could always stay in a corporate apartment, short-term, though they would be above your preferred price point on a monthly basis.

You could get by without a car in areas of Lower Westchester much more easily than you can in Northern or even parts of Central Westchester, as Lower Westchester is much more dense, overall.

Westchester has zip codes, and associated town names, that are not coterminous with the town/village's borders. This is especially true in Scarsdale and Bronxville, and causes confusion with regard to schools and town services for newcomers. The Bronxville P.O. (post office) can be found in the Village of Bronxville (tiny and expensive), Yonkers, a small part of Mount Vernon (streets that originate in Bronxville), and Eastchester (which is the Town in which Bronxville is located). The main issue is schools, since there are several districts to which a house in the P.O. can be zoned, and none of them is the Bronxville district, which is exclusive to village residents.

Since your daughter is only two, I would suggest looking at White Plains for the first few months, or year, until you find an area you like, and get a car. White Plains is a small city, and has transportation, including express trains to Grand Central. It's dense enough that there is a walkable core, with shops, conveniences, restaurants, and shopping malls that are in easy reach, but you would be looking at an apartment, not a house. There are houses in White Plains, but not as easily accessible to conveniences as the apartments.

Car rental policies differ by agency, so some may not want to rent for the entire time you would need a car. You would then have to break your use into separate transactions, though you can immediately return and rent another car. I know this from experience, and it's because of fleet management/maintenance issues that the agency has a cap on number of days with the same car. Just be sure to select an easily accessible rental agency, or only rent a car when you need one, if you're close enough to transportation/walking for your wife and child, since you would not want to have to go to Queens or New Jersey for a rental at JFK or Newark Airports.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-29-2011, 11:05 AM

Wow! Thanks so much for all the help and info. I'm really starting to look forward to our move now

Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 PM

16 posts, read 59,077 times
Default Walkability is a 9/10 in my book in SE Yonkers

SE Yonkers works if you stick close to the train and use the local shops and "FRESH DIRECT" for groceries. I don't have a car. My wife needs hers far various jobs. You will need a car at times, and renting or a zip car might work for combining many errands into a single weekend. You can rent a car and do a big bulk shop at Cosco once a month ($50/year), and bundle other trips on your way (you need to buy frozen goods last). You can also order in. Many places deliver "everywhere." We alternate John's Pizza and the Argonaught Diner. You can afford to do that a lot if you don't pay for a car. There is also a park right near the Wakefield station, so you can be a 2-6 min walk from the school, playground, shops, an awesome italian place, a CVS, deli, laundry, duncan donuts/icecream and train MTA and the subway is a 15 min walk away, but SLOW. Check the pubs on McClean for flyers. If you rent there, that is good too, but not quite as easy as Wakefield by Bronx River. I see apartments for rent. There is a furnished space over pubs on occasion that is furnished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County