Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 01:54 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,872,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
First of all, your son is in FIRST GRADE! Do you know how many parents think their first grader is brilliant??!!?? That isn't to say that he can't do more advanced math, but it is also just what, the second or third week of school? The teacher is probably doing a lot of assessing to see where the students are at, what they remember from Kindergarten and where she can begin teaching.
The first 2 posters already stated that their kids passed G&T standards so yes, their kids are indeed brilliant if that means having above average academic abilities.

And the teacher already told them that she will only teach to the curriculum so don't expect things to change in a few weeks on months.

I agree with some posters that the answer is to look for another school, maybe even a private school.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 AM

64 posts, read 203,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Met8568 View Post
Why would you want to do that? Honestly. Skipping a grade means the child will most likely be smaller and an easier target for other pupils to pick on (which they will surely do out of jealousy of the childs intelligence when they hear he was skipped a grade). Also, the child will be a year younger when going off to college. Just some things you should consider.
Nah. I skipped first grade and never had a single issue. It was a novelty to all of us kids for about the first week, then it was a non-issue. By the time we got to third grade, no one even remembered.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:21 PM

258 posts, read 908,632 times
Most schools do not skip grades anymore. I know it isn't done in NYC and I have not heard of it in Westchester. I would hesitate to skip a kid a such a young age because some kids develop very early and their peers catch up. I was a year ahead in school and when I was in college at 17 and it was tough. I couldn't do psych experiments (I was under 18) and I couldn't go to 18 and over clubs and I hated it. To me, that was a big deal with fitting with my roommates and made my first year of college more difficult than it needed to be. Academically, I was ok but I might of done even better if I was with kids my age.

As for your child in Westchester, I would wait and see. The first few weeks of school, the teachers are assessing the kids. I have so many parents tell me that their children are gifted each year and usually it is not the case. It may be in your case but the teacher should be objectively assessing all the students and can't go by the parents who are often biased. After a month or two, if the work is still too easy for him, talk to the principal and see if he can work with older kids during math time. See if the teacher is going to modify the curriculum for him. Give it time and see what is going on.

Last edited by lan3; 09-26-2011 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: confused first two posters.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:02 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,571,096 times
"Nah. I skipped first grade and never had a single issue."

Boy or girl?
Boys who are smaller, epspecially if they are smart, are often picked upon.

Each to his own, but education isn't a race.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 AM

18 posts, read 73,459 times
Thanks for all the suggestions and view points- appreciate them all!
Learning new and exciting things is what keeps my sons excitement in school going-to have him sit in class going over skills that he has mastered is going to be hard for him and so unfair.
I have mixed feelings about acceleration. The reason I even entertained the thought of skipping a grade was because the teacher flat out told me she would be teaching just the curriculum.
I would be happy with him joining second grade just for Math lessons should scheduling permit. Otherwise, I am keeping the pressure on the school to come up with some plan.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 AM

258 posts, read 908,632 times
If the teacher flat out said she would not modify curriculum than I would keep pressure on the school to find an alternative. I would wait a little bit to give time for him to be assessed because most schools are reviewing work the first few weeks of school. It may work itself out in a few weeks. If not, talk to the principal. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 AM

220 posts, read 372,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
It sucks. I started a year early (November baby) and skipped a year of HS in an advanced program. I wasn't ready for college.

Better move is to find a private school.
Not all of us have the $$$ to have that option. True, scholarships may be available for gifted and truly advanced students, but even just getting a foot in the door can put financial strain on a moderate-low income family, I'd think.

I moved to Ossining from Honolulu HI, one of the most expensive cities in US, and I was better off financially in HI. My medical and food stamp benefits were much greater, and no expensive utility bills. (I'm bracing for heating costs.) I moved here instead of my sister and her 5-year-old moving to Hawaii because I thought the opportunities would be exponentially better for the kid. They are, but with a hefty price tag. We're doing a lot of figurative rock climbing to get to opportunities.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan3 View Post
Most schools do not skip grades anymore. I know it isn't done in NYC and I have not heard of it in Westchester. I would hesitate to skip a kid a such a young age because some kids develop very early and their peers catch up. I was a year ahead in school and when I was in college at 17 and it was tough. I couldn't do psych experiments (I was under 18) and I couldn't go to 18 and over clubs and I hated it. To me, that was a big deal with fitting with my roommates and made my first year of college more difficult than it needed to be. Academically, I was ok but I might of done even better if I was with kids my age.

As for your child in Westchester, I would wait and see. The first few weeks of school, the teachers are assessing the kids. I have so many parents tell me that their children are gifted each year and usually it is not the case. It may be in your case but the teacher should be objectively assessing all the students and can't go by the parents who are often biased. After a month or two, if the work is still too easy for him, talk to the principal and see if he can work with older kids during math time. See if the teacher is going to modify the curriculum for him. Give it time and see what is going on.
Very sensible!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Nah. I skipped first grade and never had a single issue."

Boy or girl?
Boys who are smaller, epspecially if they are smart, are often picked upon.

Each to his own, but education isn't a race.
I tend to agree with this post. I had a friend in Kissimmee FL whose son mastered his schoolwork easily and tested as gifted. She eventually had to get him counseling as he would beg not to go to school. This sweet little boy became very angry, according to his mother. She also had taught her three boys that they had feelings and could express being hurt, crying, etc. He was teased for being a crybaby. My little niece, a young first grader, five, is experiencing some issues with teasing/bullying because she is about 7 months younger than her other classmates and sometimes cries.

In my experience, public school is tough. I went to a very small public school, upper state New York. People usually think I went to private school, due to my articulation of English, as if my family of origin could have afforded that.

The sensitive and smarter kids often have a hard time, I believe. They can be targets of very jealous kids with not great home lives whose families don't seek out opportunities for them. I saw it all through my earlier school years (through high school, college was great!), and now I see my little niece encountering it.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 PM

168 posts, read 523,775 times
If the teacher isn't willing to work out modified assignments for your child, I suggest that you speak withe the Principal followed by the district superintendent should you not like the outcome of your sit down with the principal. You are not at the mercy of the teacher. You are a paying (by way if taxes!) customer, and it is in the schools best interest to foster your child's development.

I think a reasonable solution would be to treat it similar to a pull-out special Ed situation. During math, your child could go up to the next grade level and sit in during their lesson.

I would also start looking into what g&t programs the school has on the intermediate and high school levels and make sure that this district is a good match for your child's talent. Finally, don't put all the burden on the district. If your kid is smart, it's your job to harness that as well -- tutors, extra-curricular activities, specialty summer camps, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County