Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestra07 View Post
I know they have Salsa dancing at The Rec Room in White Plains, with different levels of difficulty. I believe you have to join their meetup group for more details.
Thanks! I checked out their websites. A bit disjointed. The schedules are old, both for the Rec Room and the Meetup group. But it is a start and I'll try to figure out what is going on. Nice to know that there is Salsa dancing in White Plains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Liebman's does have just about everything Jewish, and kishke is on the list, but I am not sure of the preparation method. I don't know that too many places use traditional methods to prepare it, because of the food processor, and more rapid means of cooking. For a trip when you pan to be in Manhattan, you may want to check Noah's Ark on Grand Street on the LES.

With Liebman's you can park in their parking lot, behind the grocery store at the corner, but do not set foot off the street. ONLY go to Liebman's, the grocery, etc. because there is a van in the parking lot that has at least one spotter who checks. If you set foot off the curb, they radio back to the van, and the tow truck descends in seconds. The signs are serious about the businesses that you may patronize when in that parking lot, and are enforced. The bakery next door was very good, but was sold, and now I don't even bother stopping in to see if it has rebounded, since it was very disappointing to me when the ownership changed and the quality suffered.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Liebman's does have just about everything Jewish, and kishke is on the list, but I am not sure of the preparation method. I don't know that too many places use traditional methods to prepare it, because of the food processor, and more rapid means of cooking. For a trip when you pan to be in Manhattan, you may want to check Noah's Ark on Grand Street on the LES.

With Liebman's you can park in their parking lot, behind the grocery store at the corner, but do not set foot off the street. ONLY go to Liebman's, the grocery, etc. because there is a van in the parking lot that has at least one spotter who checks. If you set foot off the curb, they radio back to the van, and the tow truck descends in seconds. The signs are serious about the businesses that you may patronize when in that parking lot, and are enforced. The bakery next door was very good, but was sold, and now I don't even bother stopping in to see if it has rebounded, since it was very disappointing to me when the ownership changed and the quality suffered.
Thanks much. If the kiske is decent then it probably being brought in from the LES. We use to have some pretty good kiske (not like LES) at Kaufmann's on Dempster in Chicago, but the owners sold to a new group and the place burned down about a year ago. I haven't had great kiske in over 40 years so I am shooting down to Noah's the next chance I get!

I think I will fake putting my foot on the sidewalk when I visit Liebman's just to see what happens. But I'll run back to the car just in case they try to tow me. What fun it must be if they have a full time spotter there!

Another thing I miss is the Charlotte Russe that they use to sell in the 50s at bakeries in Brooklyn. They disappeared with the old bakeries never to be seen again.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/files/a-koenig-russe.png

Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM

I want to say that William Greenberg Jr. on Madison Avenue has Charlotte Russe. I believe that they were revived in the early 2000s, and if not available on a daily basis, I would think you could get a special order of them. I have not seen them for sale in Westchester though.

City-Data FAQs

Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I want to say that William Greenberg Jr. on Madison Avenue has Charlotte Russe. I believe that they were revived in the early 2000s, and if not available on a daily basis, I would think you could get a special order of them. I have not seen them for sale in Westchester though.
It would be great to taste a Charlotte Russe again. Alas, I just called up the bakery and they said that they do not make them anymore. Sounds like a topic for a new NYC thread though. :-) Thanks for the idea! I will go looking!!

Update: Apparently I am not the only one seeking the elusive Charlotte Russe (and eggcream). According to this article there may be a bakery on Staten Island that still makes them:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...harlotte-russe

The eggcreams I can make myself if I can find a good old-fashion seltzer siphon. The new ones just don't do a good enough job. I need one of the originals in the blue bottle!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Hmm....I am sorry the lead was not good. I shall ask around and see if anyone knows where to find them.

City-Data FAQs

Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hmm....I am sorry the lead was not good. I shall ask around and see if anyone knows where to find them.
Thanks! :-) I just wrote to my brothers in Brooklyn, who certainly remember Saturday morning's Charlotte Russe to be on a look out. :-)

Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,037 times
Default need info

can u tell me where they have any mon night action in lower westchester? looking for dinind and dancing. thanks

Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM

297 posts, read 729,756 times
Wouldnt "Best New York Style Pizza" be kind of an oxymoron of sorts...considering it is actually in New York?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County