Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 PM

10 posts, read 44,484 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just recently moved back to Westchester a few months ago and I am in the process of looking for a home. I found two homes that peaked my interest one is located in Croton on Hudson and the other in Shrub Oak (Northern Yorktown area). At this point I am leaning toward Croton, mostly because there is much more info available. The property in Shrub Oak is a much newer... early 90's and larger home 3000+ sf on 0.5 acre. While the Croton house is around 2300 sf on 1 acre and built in the 1960's.

A little info about myself:
I am in my late 30's, single...but plan to start a family sometime in the near future. So schools will be a priority eventually. I am of Asian Indian descent enjoy diversity in culture, food, etc.. like the outdoors, like having a little space between the neighbors. I enjoy going to the city 2-3 times a month. Currently work in a hospital near White Plains, but open to working in the city later on for career growth etc..

Any information regarding these 2 areas will be greatly appreciated. Are there other areas that would be a good fit for me? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,468 times
If you enjoy going into NYC, and think that you may possibly work in NYC in the future, then I would recommend Croton. Croton has a major Metro-North train station (plus Cortlandt and Ossining stations are also relatively close by), while Shrub Oak has no rail line at all. You would have to drive from Shrub Oak to Peekskill to get the train. It's about a 7 mile drive across Route 6, but that road can get congested with traffic at times.

For commuting to White Plains, in Shrub Oak you'd be close to the Taconic Pkwy, while in Croton you'll be close to Route 9/9A. If you go to work in the morning like other commuters, you'll likely encounter traffic on both of these roads (I'm more familiar with 9A myself).

Neither of these areas is ideal for a single person, though. Don't expect anything in the way of nightlife in either area. You'll either have to head into White Plains, or hop the train to NYC for that.

Personally, I'd opt for Croton, because I am partial to anything near the Hudson River (some great sunsets to be seen in the evening in any community on the east side of the river), but that's just me.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,088 times
How are you single yet starting a family soon?
Are you about to get engaged?

If you're single, get the hell out of Westchester ASAP. You're not getting any younger.
Move to NYC and commute to WP (particularly for minority with infinitesimal ethnic dating venues/prospects in this area, which is dominated by blue collar Irish and Italians)

You simply do not need a house. Stay mobile.

But if you must, Shrub Oak and Croton might as well be on 2 different planets, in terms of the people.
For you, stick to Croton. Not even a question.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:43 PM

100 posts, read 427,957 times
White Plains or Stamford will be better choices as far as dating within your age group, and while I wouldn't consider either place particularly diverse in culture or food, it will be a mile ahead of Northern Westchester. The city is obviously best, but if you really want some space, a car and the outdoors those will be the best compromises. What do you need a 3K sq foot home if you are living alone??

Of the two, Croton wins on train access, schools, ease of getting places.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,182 times
I'm considering a move to Croton as well. Can someone tell me the approximate commute time to downtown White Plains in rush hour?

Thanks,
AJ

Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshertonJack View Post
I'm considering a move to Croton as well. Can someone tell me the approximate commute time to downtown White Plains in rush hour?

Thanks,
AJ
35 minutes if it's good, up to an hour if there's an accident or something.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 44,484 times
I apologize for not being able to respond sooner. Thank you for your help thus far.

Manyroads, thanks for your input. I am leaning towards Croton right now, just because it seems that it's a nice place to be if you want to be surrounded by nature. I'm not single, will be engaged soon: 5-6 months. I would like to be close to city for a variety of reasons: 1) My sister lives there 2) Enjoy going to restaurants, shows now and then 3) nightlife

Shouldhaveleft: I appreciate your advice. You do make some good points, I have seen from your other post you are definitely a proponent of renting/being mobile. I think this is good advice for some and not so for others. Can you please expand on this sentiment a bit more?
"But if you must, Shrub Oak and Croton might as well be on 2 different planets, in terms of the people.
For you, stick to Croton. Not even a question"

Are you speaking about culture, diversity or things to do or something else? Ultimately we all want to live in place that is accepting of everyone, as long as your not infringing on anyone else rights, freedoms etc.

MDM1- is the Lakeland school districts that much below par from Croton. From my research thus far, Lakeland does not seem to have a great reputation. Although I have read that it is improving, I am not sure how valid that perception is.

If anyone has more info on the school districts, please let me know. Right now it seems more people favor Croton; please continue to chime in with any information. Thanks to everyone.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 AM

Ok, so since you are getting engaged, I will retract the advice to live somewhere with singles.

However, I'd still strongly recommend living somewhere cheaper and/or closer to the city and then move to somewhere with nice schools. You will be paying a lot of money in taxes/increased property values for a service you won't be using for 6 years or so. Sure, moving sucks, but after that 6 years, you won't have to move for two decades if you don't want to.

The social scene in the places with good school districts will be heavily oriented towards having children and going to AYSO games, birthday parties, etc., so you probably won't have a huge "in" into the community by getting there earlier and being childless. What makes this effect even stronger is that a lot of your kids' friends will be very recent transplants. The "normal" pattern for a Northern Westchester family in a desirable school district is to move from NYC/other area with crappy schools just as their oldest child reaches schooling age and then stay in town at least until the youngest goes off to college.

I don't know much about how much the reputation will jibe with reality, or know about any improvements real or imagined, but generally good school districts are associated with rich, well-educated families. Croton is richer (median family income of $120k vs $87k for shrub oak) and better educated (57% bachelors degrees or higher vs 40%). Croton is probably the most convenient place to commute to the city north of Tarrytown, which makes it a magnet for people working white collar jobs in Manhattan who want a little better bang for their buck and some greenspace. Shrub Oak isn't a convenient commute to the city, because the Peekskill train situation is worse than Croton, and driving to the Croton station is >20 minutes.

Shrub Oak's not a wasteland of rednecks or anything close to that, you'll get educated/cultured types from IBM, Indian Point, some of the white collar stuff in White Plains/Purchase but there's also a blue collar element that will reduce the whole "must go to college and be ambitious vibe" you'd get in Croton, Pleasantville, Chappaqua, etc. A quick stat to prove the point: of general ed students in Croton 85% go to 4 year college, but in Lakeland 76% matriculate to 4 year colleges. Not huge, but still a significant difference.

Good luck with your decision making.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,088 times
If you're not single, then forget my renter/mobile advice.

If you're moving to 914, you just need to forget the whole NYC thing.
Let it go. You're not going to dinner in NYC after a day's work.
Simply plan around a 99.5% life in 914.

Above post is a good contrast of Croton vs. Shrub Oak.
Generally, the more north you go, the less professional the element.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
If you're not single, then forget my renter/mobile advice.

If you're moving to 914, you just need to forget the whole NYC thing.
Let it go. You're not going to dinner in NYC after a day's work.
Simply plan around a 99.5% life in 914.

Above post is a good contrast of Croton vs. Shrub Oak.
Generally, the more north you go, the less professional the element.
I'm not sure I agree with the statement I highlighted above. I have plenty of customers that go into NYC on weeknights, whether it is to go to a restaurant, the theatre, or to a fundraiser or other black tie event. I actually wish sometimes that they wouldn't go into the city and would go someplace in Westchester or elsewhere instead; it's no fun driving a car around NYC.

Even if the OP found that she didn't have the energy to make the trip into NYC on a weeknight, she could always go there on the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County