Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM

148 posts, read 531,568 times

Advertisements

Of all places, these little pesties had to set up camp on my roof, making it nearly impossible to get rid of them. They swarm my house every day and it's scaring the **** out of my family, let alone I cannot do any yard work without them hovering over me. The main issue is I'm allergic to them and I don'e want to mess with them as much as they mess with me, hence the exterminator wants a whooping $200! I'm in favor of risking going to battle, although I'm not sure of what pesticide to use. First I thought Permithrin (for ticks and other pests) would work, although I'm reading this isn't strong enough to kill off wasps.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 AM

122 posts, read 371,000 times
We had one of those big paper wasp nests in a tree near our patio. Both of my kids got stung which is how we discovered it. We got a can of wasp spray which had a far reach. Look on the cans.. some are meant to be sprayed from far away. We did just as it was getting dark because they all return to the nest at night.
Sprayed the whole nest and it just kind of collapsed with all the dead wasps inside.
We aren't allergic though... maybe you can get at it from an inside window?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czarinalex View Post
We had one of those big paper wasp nests in a tree near our patio. Both of my kids got stung which is how we discovered it. We got a can of wasp spray which had a far reach. Look on the cans.. some are meant to be sprayed from far away. We did just as it was getting dark because they all return to the nest at night.
Sprayed the whole nest and it just kind of collapsed with all the dead wasps inside.
We aren't allergic though... maybe you can get at it from an inside window?
+1. I've done the same many times. Just do it after dark.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 AM

Which product/s did you use? "Wasp freeze"?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Don't ever ask about how to kill WASPs in Bronxville.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
Which product/s did you use? "Wasp freeze"?
You're overthinking. Go to hardware store. Read label. Get the one that's best suited for your scenario. Follow directions. it will work.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
You're overthinking. Go to hardware store. Read label. Get the one that's best suited for your scenario. Follow directions. it will work.
I'm allergic to Bee's I want to make sure I'm buy a penetrating product that works! I found most of the Raid based products at home depot to be crap and I'm forcing myself to go industrial on these pests. I just spoke with a Bee Keeper and he said NOT to buy anything at Home Depot. In that, all of these products are watered down with non-active chemicals.

I've settled to mix my own ingredients with a strong Permithrin compound and water. Tonight's the night of pure malice and destruction!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
I want to make sure I'm buy a penetrating product that works! I found most of the Raid based products at home depot to be crap and I'm forcing myself to go industrial on these pests. I just spoke with a Bee Keeper and he said NOT to buy anything at Home Depot.
Baloney. Raid product x is Raid product x no matter where you buy it. They do have a number of products, however. That's a fact. It works. That's a fact too. I've used it successfully many times, whether bought at HD or local hardware store.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:58 AM

1 posts, read 72,644 times
The product to use is Hot Shot Wasp and Hornet.

[url=http://www.hotshot.com/products-and-solutions/aero-wasp-hornet/wasp-hornet.aspx]Hot Shot® Wasp & Hornet Killer[/url]

Shoots around 20 ft. Kills literally on contact. Doesn't matter if the nest is active or not, Hot Shot touches wasp / hornet, wasp / hornet falls to ground dead. It stays on the nest for up to something like 72 hours and continues to kill whatever returns. Never use Raid, it's terrible. Even when it does the job, it takes too long to work and the pests can swarm before going down.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:43 PM

31 posts, read 135,592 times
I've used the Hot Shot Wasp & Hornet killer too - long range, and it works. Spray the nest at night if you can. If you're allergic you should carry an epipen, so just make sure it's not expired. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: