Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 25,295 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating our next move in lower Westchester and would love some advice -
Looking for good school(3Y old son and a baby on the way), walking distance to Metro North and a reasonable commute are our top requirements. (We rent)

Based on my research so far (Thank goodness for this forum), Mamaroneck seems to be ideal (good school, low-key). Also considering the surrounding areas (Harrison, Larchmont, Rye etc. Husband works in CT so prefer to be near the 95)

Question 1: Does anyone have a recommendation for a home daycare in those areas (that are more structured than a typical home daycare)?
We prefer centered-based daycare, but they are very pricy in these areas.

Question 2: Would White Plains be a good alternative to live? I know it’s very different from the towns I mentioned, but we need an alternative from these nice small towns (that are potentially more affordable, with more options). Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by InkBamboo; 12-06-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 AM

293 posts, read 886,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InkBamboo View Post
Question 1: Does anyone have a recommendation for a home daycare in those areas (that are more structured than a typical home daycare)?
My 2 year old daughter goes to Little Feet First, in Mamaroneck (off of Orienta/Post Road). She loves it and I've been really happy with the care she gets there. It's home based but because the director uses two houses (across the street from each other), she is able to have a license for both and thus more kids and staff. So it's kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion. Small enough so there's a mix of ages and it's in a home. Big enough so they can separate the kids out by age during the day so the big kids can walk to the playground, do art, do more pre-school type activities, etc. And because of the additional staffing, they rarely close for vacations - unlike other home based day cares.

It's $340/week, which includes snacks and lunch.

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM

354 posts, read 776,138 times
Other people probably know better, but I believe that if you are looking to rent a place walking distance to the train station, you will have more options in White Plains.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:35 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Other people probably know better, but I believe that if you are looking to rent a place walking distance to the train station, you will have more options in White Plains.
Can you be specific on commuting/train needs? White Plains trains don't go to CT so if your husband takes the train that's NG. If he drives I-95 is bear in the morning, though you probably know that. Do you commute to NYC? If not then you should consider CT.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 12-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 AM

Hi ehmom,
Thank you - Little Feet First sounds great. I did come across it in my search and thought they close early (3:45) so wasn't considering it. Have you heard anything about Nana's Kids?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Hi hominamad,
I think you are right - We are thinking to look into North White Plains - the main North White Plains station seems quite massive and less "walkable".

Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 AM

Hi kletter1mann,
Yes I will be commuting to NYC by Metro North, and my husband will drive to CT. I prefer to have a 45mins commute at the most. We did consider CT, but seems like areas with decent schools are pretty far from the city(?). We only looked into Stamford (by the train). The zoned public school in that area did not score very high...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County