Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM

116 posts, read 238,866 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to this area next summer with my wife and we know jack squat about it. I work in mid-town and she might be working in Cortland. I'd prefer to keep us near the Hudson Line (easier for her) but I would consider the Harlem Line as well. I don't really want to pay more than $1250-$1300 for a 1 bedroom 1 bath. We have no kids so don't care about schools. On the Hudson Line we'd consider anywhere from Riverdale, Greystone, Yonkers, Ludlow, Glenwood, Hastings on the Hudson or Dobbs Ferry. Don't want to go further North than that or White Plains on the Harlem Line. Just want an area that I don't have to worry about getting mugged or making sure my car is safe. Would appreciate a grocery store and a gym.

Any ideas of where I should really look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
I think you mean Cortlandt.....Cortland is way upstate between Syracuse and Binghamton.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 AM

Correct

Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Definitely in your case would look for Hudson Line over Harlem Line. Ideal would be someplace "halfway" which conveniently is a couple of the nicer towns you mentioned, Hastings and Dobbs Ferry (Hastings is the "better" of the two but people in this area nitpick about towns like anything, especially when it comes to schools). Good luck!

Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Since schools are not a factor, you can consider parts of Yonkers, but other towns/villages may not have a significant number of rentals, especially at your preferred range. Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow would be areas to consider as well, since there are a few more apartments, but that's probably as far out as you want to go, using White Plains as a guide.

For Riverdale, you have to pay city resident income tax, but then you don't have two MNRR train tickets, either, as you can take an express bus or subway to Manhattan. You can find 1BRs in Riverdale in your preferred range, just be flexible as to the type of unit, i.e., full amenities and luxury will come at a higher price.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM

287 posts, read 593,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
I'm considering moving to this area next summer with my wife and we know jack squat about it. I work in mid-town and she might be working in Cortland. I'd prefer to keep us near the Hudson Line (easier for her) but I would consider the Harlem Line as well. I don't really want to pay more than $1250-$1300 for a 1 bedroom 1 bath. We have no kids so don't care about schools. On the Hudson Line we'd consider anywhere from Riverdale, Greystone, Yonkers, Ludlow, Glenwood, Hastings on the Hudson or Dobbs Ferry. Don't want to go further North than that or White Plains on the Harlem Line. Just want an area that I don't have to worry about getting mugged or making sure my car is safe. Would appreciate a grocery store and a gym.

Any ideas of where I should really look?

You DO NOT want to live near the LUDLOW station in Yonkers. Horrible area with lots of crime. its equivalent to PURGATORY ON EARTH. So knock that one off your list.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM

Libertarian thanks for the heads up. Guys what areas would I have to pay city income tax? Just the towns in the Bronx or Westchester too? I do not want to pay city income tax and state, that is ridiculous.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:08 AM

287 posts, read 593,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
Libertarian thanks for the heads up. Guys what areas would I have to pay city income tax? Just the towns in the Bronx or Westchester too? I do not want to pay city income tax and state, that is ridiculous.
I lived in Yonkers for some time. I think they're the only municipality that has that income tax in westchester. In the Bronx, you would have to pay NYC taxes which I understand are very high. I know many people who live in Woodlawn but use their parents address in Westchester so that they don't have to pay the tax. Thats how much they go out of their way to not have to pay the city tax.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Yonkers, however, has an income tax surcharge, 10% of your state tax liability, so it's an additional tax, but much more reasonable than NYC's resident income tax, which you have to pay on both incomes, regardless of place of employment. You would be able to avoid that in Westchester, and your car insurance would also be significantly lower then The Bronx, offsetting the increased cost of commuting via Metro-North.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM

248 posts, read 674,479 times
If she is going to take public transportation as well then Hudson line is your best bet.
I would suggest Hastings and north, preferably Tarrytown for that price range.

Riverdale might have a few options but it still isn't as safe as H-o-H, Dobbs Ferry and Tarrytown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County