Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM

200 posts, read 324,705 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a musician & am starting to want to make Promo pics. There have been some circumstances where I had to upload a pic of me. For example, I work in a retail store & there aren't any musicians or artists that I work w/. So, there was a time where 1 of the managers had to take pics of each associate as an Associate Appreciation Day. The manager used to be a model & being that I'm a musician I wanted my pic to represent or show who I am outside from my colleagues. All of my colleagues did the "smile & say cheese" thing, but being that I'm a musician (& a potential song writer) I wanted my pic to be different. So, when my manager said to look @ the camera & smile I told him as I got into a pose & while I looked away over my shoulder I said "No. I want to do an album cover pic". What I really meant was that I was trying to do a Promo pic pose that both Models And Musicians/Artists & Bands do.

Like here's a web that I found that has some similiar poses that I've seen that Artists, etc. have used:

1) http://thebestfashionblog.com/wp-con...04-600x750.jpg

I like this pose. This to me, is what I would find as a Promo Shot that an Artist, Musician would do - That SERIOUS LOOK. & that's the "Formula" that many Artists, Musicians, etc. use - that Serious Look (BTW. back in the day when they had CD's you would find these kinds of pics in the INSIDE of the CD cover)

And

2) Google Image Result for http://www.digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/posing-photographing-female-models14.png

Pics like #1, #3, #10, And #18

So, now I'm looking for a Roommate on 1 of those Roommate Finder sites & they say that if you put a photo w/ your Ad you'll have better chances of you grabbing other potential roommates' attention. So, what I want to know since I work in the White Plains area is if anyone knows where or who I could go to - to show me certain poses that would work w/ me & take pics of these poses that work for me. I live in the Bronx next door to Pelham & New Rochelle so,

Could anyone tell me where I can find a Photographer who does this in the Lower Westchester area (i.e. Pelham, New Rochelle, Yonkers, Scarsdale, etc.)?

I'm not looking to spend too much $$. I'm on a budget so I'd like to find someone Reasonable, but w/ good quality (like maybe a "Semi-Professional"?!). Please let me know. I'm open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,749 times
If you're at all willing to go to NYC, Jonathan Conklin at Jonathan Conklin Is a New York City Headshot Photographer with a studio in Chelsea and prices starting at $125 snapped my headshot—he did a great job and was a pleasure to work with. It cost about $125.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 PM

Thanks AMM1982. No, I don't mind @ all. I do live in the Bronx, just that I work in Westchester which I spend most of my time in, but I can jump on the train near me & go down. However, I do have another question. $125 is ok, but

Would you know anyone else w/ a Cheaper Price like something UNDER a $100? Even if it's someone in NYC.

Thanks!!

Old 08-22-2013, 04:07 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
Thanks AMM1982. No, I don't mind @ all. I do live in the Bronx, just that I work in Westchester which I spend most of my time in, but I can jump on the train near me & go down. However, I do have another question. $125 is ok, but

Would you know anyone else w/ a Cheaper Price like something UNDER a $100? Even if it's someone in NYC.

Thanks!!
Your best bet is to use Craigslist then, and perhaps find a student. $125 is already cheap for a professional.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Your best bet is to use Craigslist then, and perhaps find a student. $125 is already cheap for a professional.
Thanks AMM1982! I'll check into that too. BTW.

Would you know of any websites or where I can find these (Semi-Pro) Students??

I know there's a FILM Academy in the Village, NYC near NYU.

Do you have any ideas of what websites or what kind of search I can do on Google? Like what would I type in?

Sorry for all of this. Thanks!!

Last edited by certaincircles; 08-22-2013 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Forgot other questions

Old 08-23-2013, 09:40 AM

35 posts, read 115,690 times
I actually know 2 people - both in White Plains that do photography on the side of their normal jobs. One of them does a lot of freelance photography and film editing and the other does wedding photography and video.

I think if it were a simple enough job they might do it for $100 - feel free to message me privately and I can give you their details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County