Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:44 PM

21 posts, read 50,896 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Westchester and we are pretty intrigued by Irvington. It's artsy, but not *too* artsy. It's affluent, but not *too* affluent. It's less intense than Scarsdale, but not as granola-ish as Hastings-on-Hudson. The schools, though not as strong by the numbers as Scarsdale or Edgemont, are great. There's wealth, but it doesn't dominate the village. It's pretty. The riverfront parks are amazing. In short, it seems like the perfect balance. Does anyone here live in Irvington? Is it as great as it seems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
tomverlaine:
I was born and raised there, before moving to Peekskill. Peekskill was the only place in Westchester where we could afford a home. If you can afford it, by all means move to Irvington. Hastings is too close to Yonkers, and Scarsdale is too congested especially Central Avenue. There are no big box stores in Irvington nor are there supermarkets, yet it is convenient to shop at them in neighboring towns. Yes, there is indeed wealth, growing up there it was more middle class. When the owners of some of the large estates died, Rutter's, Halsey's etc, developers came in and put up expensive homes pricing some of the long time residents out. Main Street and it's side streets are more middle class, but the homes are quite expensive for what you get. I don't think you can go wrong buying a home anywhere in Irvington, because of it's small town feel, location on the Hudson River, and lack of any real poverty. It was great growing up there, can't say what it's like now as there are indeed a more wealthier class of people living there than when I grew up.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:47 PM

4,762 posts, read 792,686 times
I lived there from 2001 to 2005, and agree completely with everything you have said.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM

SteveC1024:
[quote]"I lived there from 2001 to 2005, and agree completely with everything you have said."[/QUOTE
I spent 26 years of my life there, born and raised there, it was indeed a great place to grow up in. We knew every kid and family back then along with all the cops, firemen and village employees of which I worked for starting at 16 until 21. After I moved it has changed, to me it no longer had what we had growing up. Not saying that's bad it's just different, I'm sure the new generation of people will feel the same. Population then was about 5,000 I think it's now around 7,000. Irvington will always be a special place for me. Although I'll have to admit the town I live in now in Arizona comes pretty damn close. Not having those big box stores and supermarkets and all the traffic that they generate will ensure that Irvington will pretty much have that small town feel yet be close to everything. Perhaps that is why housing there is so much in demand. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wishes to move there. That is if you have to live in New York.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 AM

21 posts, read 50,896 times
Does anyone have anything negative to say? Other than the high housing costs and high property taxes, of course?

Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomverlaine View Post
Does anyone have anything negative to say? Other than the high housing costs and high property taxes, of course?
It's not that diverse if that helps. I know the town well and i've encountered a lot of stuck up people but not everyone in the town is like that. Going down that large hill to the waterfront on main street, there are number of really great people on those side streets. As with everywhere, there's good and bad, but the bad is mainly from the people who are pricks.

the waterfront is really great, especially around this time of year.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM

wordlife:
Quote:
"I know the town well and i've encountered a lot of stuck up people but not everyone in the town is like that."
Man, times have changed! Then again I haven't lived there for 34 years. I do know that a lot of wealthy people have taken over than when I grew up. The side streets off of Main are probably more middle class, when I grew up there, pretty much the whole town was.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,217 times
My husband and I have lived here for 7 years and we love it. It has a home town community feel to it. There is art and free concerts, festivals and plenty of good food and drink. Any where you go in Indianapolis you are going to find run down neighborhoods, but it is turning around. People just have to take hold of their neighborhoods and fight to make them clean and safe. Irvington has a lot of good people who love this place and won't let it sink into being a slum. As far as the schools, Irvington Community Schools are pretty good and Our Lady of Lourdes is also a great option. I was born and raised here and I love it. We need something better done with the Irvington Shopping Center. I would love to see those buildings torn down and something like a Walmart put in that space. We do lack shopping here.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:01 PM

JC2222
Although I haven't lived there for 34 years, I was born and raised there, along with my parents and grandparents. I lived there until I was 26. The last thing that Irvington needs is a Walmart, besides where would they put it? It would have to be some place off of Broadway (Rte 9). Not very practical as there are private homes right on Broadway. Not that I'm against Walmart we have them here in Arizona and it's a five minute drive from where I live, however it's location is appropriate for where it is and has not disturbed the area. There is plenty of shopping that is within a reasonable driving distance from Irvington. You can shop in the abundance of big box stores along Central Ave. in White Plains, Scarsdale and Yonkers. Maybe you don't like all the traffic along Central Ave, I don't blame you. But why would you want to bring that mess to Irvington? Especially if you live there. One of the great things about Irvington is the lack of big box stores and the traffic and noise that they generate. You certainly will lose that home town community feel to it. I'm not sure what you mean by the Irvington Shopping Center unless you are referring to the small shops on Main Street. Although these shops have changed hands over the years and are different businesses than when I lived there, Main Street really hasn't changed that much since the time that I lived there. Sure there are many more homes in Irvington than when I was a kid and I was sad to see some of my old stomping grounds bulldozed for houses. But the overall feel and look of Irvington hasn't changed that much. You said you were born and raised there but also said you've lived there for 7 years. Didn't you mean to say you were born and raised in Indianapolis? I ask this because it seems that you have just discovered Irvington. Anyone who was born and raised there would certainly know that Irvington even with it's close proximity to New York City has always maintained it's home town feel. Although I will never set foot in New York State again, I would hate to find out that the nice little town that I grew up in and have so many great memories of finally went down the toilet, like the rest of New York. Are you sure you are talking about Irvington on Hudson, New York?

Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 AM

235 posts, read 247,384 times
I went for a walk around Main Street, Irvington, yesterday and was much impressed. We arrived to see many elementary school children walking from the Main St. School to religious ed classes at Immaculate Conception parish. At the same time, many students were walking home downhill from the high school and middle school. Others seemed headed for pizza. The crossing guards on Broadway helped protect all pedestrians amid the private drivers and school buses.
---
I was glad to see that the scenic riverfront park had no sign barring non-residents. It is great that each community shares its delightful parks, rather than treating non-residents as aliens.
---
East of the south end of the Metro-North Irvington platforms is a large, old, grandiose building. Is it an office building or a former school? I have been unable to learn its history from other Irvington websites.
---
Next trip, we will have to stop for an afternoon coffee at The Black Cat.
Joe

Last edited by Joe63; 04-16-2015 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County