Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 11:41 AM

12 posts, read 31,226 times

Advertisements

Hi ~
My husband and I have have recently moved to Westchester from Toronto. Currently we are in temp corporate housing in White Plains and are trying to figure out which town will be home for us. As is stands, we are liking Rye, Larchmont, Mamaroneck or White Plains. Can anyone tell me what the "typical" monthly expenses are for a small home/condo - 1,200-1,500 sq ft? Telephone, Cable, Internet, Gas, Elec, Home Insurance...etc... This will help us make our decision as to what we can afford.
Any input helps!
Thank you, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 PM

305 posts, read 1,895,080 times
Taxes are rolled into our mortgage. Do you have a car or cars? What about children? Here's something we put together awhile back to help us when we lived in our smaller house and were looking to move to something bigger. Obviously our expenses are personal to us so yours will most likely be different but this is just to give you an idea.

To prevent people from attacking, let me say that this was ROUGH & PERSONAL to our living style. It does not include spending $$.

Con Ed $375
Phone / Cell / Internet $170.00
Cable $100
Cars $600
Alarm $25
Babysitter $400
Car Insurance $170
Homeowners Insurance $120
Commutation $400
Gas $200.00
Groceries $300.00
Water $35

Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM

77 posts, read 428,604 times
That looks about right...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:40 PM

12 posts, read 31,226 times
Default EXPENSES - thank you...

Thank you so much! This will definatly help us -
It looks as though we will be settling in Rye, in a co-op that really needs some work.
Your budget guideline will help us determine our reno schedule!
To add to my request...what are the best cable/internet/phone companies servicing Rye? I see the Verizon people all over town & I hear that Optimun is not worth the deal - anyone care to comment?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:07 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
Thank you so much! This will definatly help us -
It looks as though we will be settling in Rye, in a co-op that really needs some work.
Your budget guideline will help us determine our reno schedule!
To add to my request...what are the best cable/internet/phone companies servicing Rye? I see the Verizon people all over town & I hear that Optimun is not worth the deal - anyone care to comment?
_______

You need to shop around. Verizon Fios just came with a good deal (check their website for an update). Optimum has gotten very expensive-almost $200 if you have cable with IO, some premium channels, plus phone and internet. The advantage of the phone with Optimum is that for a fixed price you can call all over US, Canada and PR (but you can get this with Vonage too) and that you get a single bill instead of three. For the first year you can get all three Optimum services for $90 plus taxes but then it goes up like crazy. I think the Fios deal (around $100/month) is for 2 years but I don't how how reliable they are. Optimum has been pretty reliable for me but I am ready to change them because how expensive it has gotten.

PS: Have you read some of the threads on co-ops?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 PM

33 posts, read 183,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
Taxes are rolled into our mortgage. Do you have a car or cars? What about children? Here's something we put together awhile back to help us when we lived in our smaller house and were looking to move to something bigger. Obviously our expenses are personal to us so yours will most likely be different but this is just to give you an idea.

To prevent people from attacking, let me say that this was ROUGH & PERSONAL to our living style. It does not include spending $$.

Con Ed $375
Phone / Cell / Internet $170.00
Cable $100
Cars $600
Alarm $25
Babysitter $400
Car Insurance $170
Homeowners Insurance $120
Commutation $400
Gas $200.00
Groceries $300.00
Water $35
The ConEd bill include, beside electricity, gas for home heating, correct? So Summer should be better on the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County