Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,041 times

Advertisements

Hi all, New to this site and to forums in general. Family with 3 elementary/middle school aged children moving from socal. Husband will be working in NYC, near Lincoln Ctr. I am a SAHM. Budget is under $1M for a modest home, but looking for very good public schools. Have heard Westchester Cty is the best bet, but so many towns there - any info is appreciated. Would like to keep commute to 1hour. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM

276 posts, read 398,397 times
We are moving to NYC area from NorCal, so we are in a similar situation. Westchester is a good choice, given your husband's work location, desire for a short commute and good schools. I will say, however, that New Jersey might be OK for you, since the office is not THAT close to Grand Central Station. He will likely need to switch to a subway in either case.

Niche has a great school ranking, so there is a lot to choose from in WC. We narrowed it down to Edgemont, Rye City and Rye Neck, ultimately choosing Rye Neck. This was mostly due to the smaller size of the schools in the district.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:45 PM

988 posts, read 1,018,194 times
Westchester has many great options, but you need to please tell us more about what you're looking for to determine what towns/villages are best for you. If commute time is very important, definitely look at towns south of I-87. If you want more land and more bang for your buck, look to the northern parts of the county. If by "very good schools" you only want the best of the best (and the prestige and pressures that come with that), you should look at a very specific set of districts. Please feel free to send me a private message and I'm happy to help guide you.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
I would rethink moving to NY state. Property taxes are outrageous. Property taxes are a lot less in CT, basically 1/3 as much. Lots of great school districts in CT.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:49 AM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I would rethink moving to NY state. Property taxes are outrageous. Property taxes are a lot less in CT, basically 1/3 as much. Lots of great school districts in CT.
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Honestly, if you need to commute to Lincoln Center you should consider New Jersey or LI and a commute into Penn Station on the west side. Getting from GCT to Lincoln Center will add a lot of time to your trip.

OR, if you really prefer Westchester, then you're going to have to adjust to a longer commute. For under $1 mil and great schools you could look into Pelham, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Eastchester, Tuckahoe, maybe even Scarsdale.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Honestly, if you need to commute to Lincoln Center you should consider New Jersey or LI and a commute into Penn Station on the west side. Getting from GCT to Lincoln Center will add a lot of time to your trip.
I'm going to agree here. My office is just two blocks from GCT, and I have just under a 1 hour commute from Mamaroneck. Lincoln Center means a subway switch, so it makes the commute longer and equally as complicated as the NJ/LI commutes from Penn Station.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,041 times
Great info here, thank you all! Don't need the best of the best schools, but those with above average test scores and high state rankings (I always look at the greatschools.org ratings too, anything 8 or above).This and an hour or less for commute are the most important criteria. I hadn't though of LI, but have heard NJ has both good schools and a fairly easy commute..
CT is over an hour, is it not?
Many thanks!

Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 AM

Yes, by any realistic calculation, CT is more than an hour commute to Lincoln Center. Frankly, Lincoln Center is a tough place to commute to from anywhere outside the city. Just about any commute will be pretty close to one hour.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:24 AM

5 posts, read 12,139 times
Smile moving to Westchester and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Westchester has many great options, but you need to please tell us more about what you're looking for to determine what towns/villages are best for you. If commute time is very important, definitely look at towns south of I-87. If you want more land and more bang for your buck, look to the northern parts of the county. If by "very good schools" you only want the best of the best (and the prestige and pressures that come with that), you should look at a very specific set of districts. Please feel free to send me a private message and I'm happy to help guide you.
I am reading through threads as my family and I are planning a move to Westchester - would you still have time to help an incoming family?

We have narrowed it down to Pelham and Rye Neck. We have been living overseas for 13 years, and my husband is Italian, not American, so a community that perhaps has other international families would be a plus. Our kids are 12 and 14, so the school is the real priority, and I have researched both of these well online and contacting the schools. Commute is also important. Somethings we can see for ourselves when we visit, but feedback on community life would be great.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:53 AM

195 posts, read 297,311 times
Newcomer2017 - I wouldn't rule out Mamaroneck/Larchmont either. Great schools, in between the two as far as commute goes and I think more of a town center/downtown/restaurant/shop scene than the other two. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County