Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,603 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC. We're expecting our first child in March, and are planning to move to Westchester either before or after the baby is born (an ongoing debate).

After looking at the nearby river towns (Dobbs, Irvington, Hastings), we started to consider Croton - good schools, relatively easy commute, many nature options, lower taxes. My question is whether there's much to do in or near Croton (e.g., good meals, movie, shopping, etc.) or whether we're likely to feel isolated in such a small town. I know this is an issue of personal preference, but I'm wondering if others have considered or encountered this issue and where they've come out.

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 17,172 times
For shopping it probably depends what you’re after. There’s a mall in Cortlandt (with movies) but we’ve lived in Croton for 6 months and haven’t been there yet. Between that place and Yorktown, I think you’re covered for big box stores. There's a theater in Pleasantville that shows indie stuff.

Nothing’s going to match the variety of NYC but Croton dining still leaves some things to be desired.
There's no shortage of overpriced pub fare and mediocre pizza, but too little in the way of ethnic cuisine, although Indian is coming. Ocean House and Hopscotch are good but you’re probably not eating at either one all that often—maybe when your friends from the city visit. We could really use a falafel joint and some Thai. The local craft beer place is friendly and pours good stuff and has music from time to time. Plus there are many bar/restaurant options in Tarrytown and Peekskill, neither of which is more than 15-20 minutes away by car.

You may feel a bit isolated at first. You will have to drive a lot, which I think contributes to that.
Like other suburbs, much of the social life revolves around kids, and since you’re having one, you will meet other parents and make friends via day-care, playground, library story times etc. And in my experience, they will invariably be nice people. The child infrastructure here is good –and mostly absent are the massive, annoying crowds that kid-themed events inevitably draw in NYC.

The biggest factor for our decision to move here –besides greater affordability than those other towns you mentioned, where we also looked--was the outdoor options, and those do not disappoint.
The gorge park, local Audubon sanctuaries, Silver Lake Beach, and Croton Landing make spring and summer a pleasure. We'll see about winter.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:07 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctowestchester1 View Post
My husband and I currently live in a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC. We're expecting our first child in March, and are planning to move to Westchester either before or after the baby is born (an ongoing debate).

After looking at the nearby river towns (Dobbs, Irvington, Hastings), we started to consider Croton - good schools, relatively easy commute, many nature options, lower taxes. My question is whether there's much to do in or near Croton (e.g., good meals, movie, shopping, etc.) or whether we're likely to feel isolated in such a small town. I know this is an issue of personal preference, but I'm wondering if others have considered or encountered this issue and where they've come out.

Any input would be appreciated.
I live in Cortlandt, which Croton is a part of, so I am a little biased, but Croton is beautiful. I do have to say that taxes in Croton are not lower than any other river towns, or if so just marginally. Croton has higher taxes in fact because they double up on some services, payign town tax to Cortlandt and then village tax becuase they prefer to have a sub-level of government for the village administration. Also, their school taxes are a bit higher than some. Of course housing prices in croton are probably lower than further south, so the overall tax might be lower on a similar house, but only because its value is so much lower.

You concerns are valid though. But its not just for Croton. You would feel that way after leaving the city and moving anywhere in Westchester except maybe White Plains. There is as much to do in or near Croton as any river town. There are great places to eat, my favorite ice cream shop in the state, nearby film theaters and easy shopping. But it is so much smaller than livign in NYC that many have a hard time adjusting to it. Some city dwellers (I used to be one) find anything that is not NY to be a small town. But Croton is part of Cortlandt, with its 40,000 residents is one of the largest towns in the county. Its great, but you have to want to live an hour outside the city.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,244 times
I am so glad I saw this post! It could have been written by me! Myself and my husband are also renting a one bed in the city. We are also expecting our first baby in March and are debating when to move (he wants to wait, I want to get settled now). We had friends in Tarrytown, so we know that area pretty well. The market there, however, is so competitive. Everything we have looked at has gone for more than $150k over asking. Eek! I love the look of Croton and it definitely seems like better value in terms of what you can get for your $$. However, the commute may be a little too far (my husband has to be at work by 7am). Also, I don't drive (my husband does) so really need to find somewhere close to the train. My worry with Croton is that the train is far away from the shops/restaurants?

We're going to go up on Sunday to have a look around. I'll keep you posted. Would love to hear what you decide too. If you end up moving, maybe we can nanny share! :P

Old 09-16-2015, 01:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,676 times
i find dining in westchester to be sub-par overall. sure, there are a *few* gems here and there but for the most part it's overpriced and rather pedestrian.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:39 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times
I lived in Croton for 4 years. I'm single and so my experience was not what yours would be. I liked it while I was there; but now that I've left I realize how little is going on there! Hardly any restaurants or supermarkets besides ShoP Rite. It's a really pretty town in the fall though. My problem with Northern Westchester in general is the driving. There's too much of it. If you want to go to an independent movie at the Jacob Burns theatre, that's 20 mins. away. Shopping is in White Plains, another 30 mins. away. Mrs. Green's Health food store is 20 mins. It really is too far from everything IMO and too close to Indian Point. It's a nice quiet town but I think it seems to be missing something. I think the "river towns" appear to be more than just bedroom communities, but that's really all they are.

Last edited by doghead; 09-17-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducalla7 View Post
We had friends in Tarrytown, so we know that area pretty well. The market there, however, is so competitive. Everything we have looked at has gone for more than $150k over asking. Eek!
My spouse's coworker just bought a house in Tarrytown and also confirmed it was a seller's market there. What is driving strong demand in Tarrytown given its schools?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
My spouse's coworker just bought a house in Tarrytown and also confirmed it was a seller's market there. What is driving strong demand in Tarrytown given its schools?
You can buy a house for far cheaper than towns a couple of miles away and go to private schools with that savings. Plus, Tarrytown is not a school district. The schools do not match up with town borders. There are "Tarrytown" houses that go to far better schools, which would impact the numbers.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:49 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
You can buy a house for far cheaper than towns a couple of miles away and go to private schools with that savings. Plus, Tarrytown is not a school district. The schools do not match up with town borders. There are "Tarrytown" houses that go to far better schools, which would impact the numbers.
Yes, but my question is why are these homes in very high demand despite being within the Tarrytown SD?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:13 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,595 times
Doghead, where did you move? Westchester is death for a single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County