Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:43 PM

41 posts, read 63,235 times

Advertisements

I agree...
Montclair is my other choice...
The taxes are insane!! And there doesnt seem an end to it.
Same size and price home where in bronxville they are $17,000 a year in montclair they would be $22,000 plus!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 02:59 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,432,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan8928 View Post
I agree...
Montclair is my other choice...
The taxes are insane!! And there doesnt seem an end to it.
Same size and price home where in bronxville they are $17,000 a year in montclair they would be $22,000 plus!!!
Hastings-On-Hudson. Might not be upscale enough, but has good proximity to NYC. Might be too many hipsters for your taste though:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/fa...york.html?_r=0

“Creating Hipsturbia”: Are All the Hipsters Leaving Brooklyn?Brooklyn Magazine | Brooklyn Magazine

But even these hipsters moved to the burbs largely because they had kids.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:33 PM

53 posts, read 83,222 times
Have you checked out the rivertowns, Hastings, Dobbs, etc?

Artsy would be a bit of a stretch, but they definitely have a nice chill vibe not found in the other towns discussed above, IMO.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:40 PM

Funny so many say Montclair as I think thats what I decided on, def makes sense. Taxes are INSANE considering I don't have kids going to the schools BUT you get a cheaper house for say $900,000.
Thanks all

Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 AM

24 posts, read 19,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
Any interest in NJ? Montclair seems exactly what you're looking for, big houses, artistic, edgy, close to the city, etc.
Yes, definitely check out Montclair.. it's one of the hippest liveliest suburban towns I've ever seen. Lots of social life and culture. Bronxville was actually known for quite some time as being very anti-semitic and narrow minded, going by the appearances of the place and the prices of the homes won't tell my much about what it is actually like to live there.
Maybe take the time to go to some local social or neighborhood activities, tell people you are thinking of moving there, learn more about the town on a person-to-person level, instead of at your business level of real estate.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:18 PM

16 posts, read 33,244 times
I don't know Montclair so I cannot make a comparison. We live in Bronxville PO and we are very happy with our decision to move here. We are a gay couple without children so Bronxville PO fits our need. We love the community. 30 minutes of pleasant train ride into the city is a big plus. Since we moved here, we have known or seen 6-7 LGBT couples in the area. We feel welcome here. Bronx river park is very pretty all year round and great for a walk/run. Summer farmer market is very nice and convenience. Bronxville village is great for an occasionally eat out. I think the key for Bronxville PO is that you want to be within walking distance to the train station and the village. Please feel free to ask if you have more detail questions. Good luck with your search.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:55 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,460,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Being close is still light years away. You are OUT of the city, and not a part of the fabric there. Might as well live in Albany. There is no comparison to living there.
Agreed. "Oh, Westchester is close to the city, you can go anytime you want." But you never do.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 PM

befriend, i'd love to chat!!

Old 12-20-2015, 04:46 AM

263 posts, read 345,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Agreed. "Oh, Westchester is close to the city, you can go anytime you want." But you never do.

We go there all the time. Spk for yourself.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,460,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
We go there all the time. Spk for yourself.
You are certainly the exception and not the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County