Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 04:47 AM

8 posts, read 10,453 times

Advertisements

I don't know Mount Vernon well at all. However, I do see its demographics and high crime rate. How safe is it for a white guy who's not looking for trouble? I have no kids so I really don't care about the schools. I don't care about nightlife or community. Where I work is only a short walk from Grand Central so it's a very convenient trip. What I like about the city is that it's extremely affordable, it's easier for me to get to work from there than in many parts of NYC, and I don't have to pay NYC income tax or deal with its extremely high cost of living. However, what I do care about is feeling safe. I don't want to have to worry about getting mugged walking home from the train, seeing the police at my apartment complex often, or getting my car broken into. I might own since it's really cheap.

Last edited by plopro; 04-30-2017 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
If you live anywhere near the Harlem line (Metro North), especially in Fleetwood, you will making out like a bandit.

And I consider Fleetwood one of the best neighborhoods in Westchester. Especially in terms of being able to get good restaurants/bars and basic shopping. And it sure isn't stuck up like a lot of Westchester and has a lot of positive diversity.
You can be a WASP or a Brazilian or African American or Puerto Rican and none of them will stick out like a sore thumb.
It is not utopia, but people in Fleetwood especially get along to get along.

Just don't stray much south of the New Haven line. No problems. I used to walk all over 2/3 of Mount Vernon, all hours, as a pale, nordic teenager.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:33 PM

I see that there are 4 places in Mount Vernon with laundry in the building at $1500 or less on apartments.com:
https://www.apartments.com/mount-ver...ry-facilities/

How do you feel about where these are located from a noise and safety standpoint? That's all I really care about. I'm looking for a temporary place (hopefully no more than a year) where I can save up money, live in my own place, and spend as little time commuting as possible. I'm really focused on my career and nightlife isn't important to me. The only things I really need to be close to are the train and a supermarket. Mount Vernon has both of those. Fleetwood has some really nice apartments I might consider next year, but they're expensive for me now. I want to be safe with less than a 40 minute train ride to Grand Central via the Harlem or New Haven lines. Ideally under $1500 with laundry in the building and within walking distance to a train station to avoid paying another $100/month for parking. If I'm walking to the train station I want to feel safe, especially when it's dark.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 AM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
I would look in Fleetwood, or at least north of the Circle (roundabout.) Ask a realtor about apartments in a 2 family home-they are sometimes less money. People sub-let their co-ops, and there are a lot in Fleetwood. It is a beautiful, lovely area with very convenient walkable shops, good cafes, restaurants, and no franchise garbage.

Look on Craigslist for housing. I was just in Fleetwood for the weekend and absolutely thought it was the cutest and most convenient place in the county.

Call Houlihan Lawrence realtors for the complete scoop. Most buildings have laundry facilities-I wouldn't use that as a reason to move to a sketchy area. Metro North is a short walk from Fleetwood.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/abo/6096644835.html

This looks cute.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:12 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,749 times
Any reason you're not looking on the Hudson line? Ossining Village may have what you're looking for.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Any reason you're not looking on the Hudson line? Ossining Village may have what you're looking for.
Yes, it's a further commute. At that point I would rather live in CT which is where I grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County