Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM

93,520 posts, read 124,229,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another MV zip code that covers the eastern portion of the city(Oakwood Heights, Vernon Heights, etc), with the Mount Vernon East station nearby: 10553 Zip Code - USA.comâ„¢
10553 Zip Code Historical Race Data - USA.comâ„¢
10553 Zip Code Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢
10553 Zip Code Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.comâ„¢
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_...-North_station)
https://youtu.be/gBPntEvYXp0

Again, according to this information, the zip code and Black median household incomes are around the metro figure for this time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 01:58 PM

362 posts, read 498,193 times
Thanks for all the info, ckhthankgod

Old 12-01-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
Thanks for all the info, ckhthankgod
No problem and I believe that this area is a part of the Vernon Heights neighborhood as well: Census Block Group 002600-2 in Westchester County, New York
An adjacent area: Census Block Group 002600-3 in Westchester County, New York
Census tract they are in: Census Tract 002600 in Westchester County, New York

You have an area like this in New Rochelle: Census Tract 006400 in Westchester County, New York
It’s overall median household income is around the metro figure for that period. More information: Census Tract 006400 in Westchester County, New York Population and Races
Census Tract 006400 in Westchester County, New York Income and Careers

Another area of NR across North Avenue: Census Tract 006500 in Westchester County, New York
This also has a median household income around the metro figure for that period. More information: Census Tract 006500 in Westchester County, New York Income and Careers
Census Tract 006500 in Westchester County, New York Population and Races

2 more tracts in the city: Census Tract 006000 in Westchester County, New York

Census Tract 005902 in Westchester County, New York

Train station: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rochelle_station

More information: http://www.ideallynewrochelle.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-01-2017 at 07:23 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 PM

259 posts, read 174,473 times
White Plains or Stamford, CT. Possibly New Rochelle for proximity to the city.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 AM

Just sent thanks to people on the New Jersey thread who offered up their suggestions, and wanted to do the same here. Depending on where the next job is, these are the areas that I would concentrate on. If I can't live in the specific town, then somewhere close to it will be fine for me:

Rockland County, NY:
-Suffern
-Nyack

Westchester County, NY:
-White Plains
-New Rochelle
-Port Chester
-Yonkers
-Bronxville
-Mamaroneck
-Tarrytown
-Dobbs Ferry

Fairfield County, CT:
-Stamford
-Norwalk

Old 12-05-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
Just sent thanks to people on the New Jersey thread who offered up their suggestions, and wanted to do the same here. Depending on where the next job is, these are the areas that I would concentrate on. If I can't live in the specific town, then somewhere close to it will be fine for me:

Rockland County, NY:
-Suffern
-Nyack

Westchester County, NY:
-White Plains
-New Rochelle
-Port Chester
-Yonkers
-Bronxville
-Mamaroneck
-Tarrytown
-Dobbs Ferry

Fairfield County, CT:
-Stamford
-Norwalk
No Mount Vernon at all? Bronxville isn’t really that diverse, especially given your background. I’d throw in Tuckahoe instead of Bronxville, given what you said you were looking for. Pelham as well.

Tuckahoe and Pelham are both middle class and diverse to the point if you were to have children, you could stay, as the schools are good in both of those school districts.

Not telling you what to do, but just offering information based upon what was posted in the OP.

Also, for Rockland County, South Nyack would fit and essentially blends in with Nyack. South Nyack, NY - USA.comâ„¢
South Nyack, NY Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
South Nyack, NY Historical Race Data - USA.comâ„¢
South Nyack, NY Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢
South Nyack, NY Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.comâ„¢

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-05-2017 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
No Mount Vernon at all? Bronxville isn’t really that diverse, especially given your background. I’d throw in Tuckahoe instead of Bronxville, given what you said you were looking for. Pelham as well.

Tuckahoe and Pelham are both middle class and diverse to the point if you were to have children, you could stay, as the schools are good in both of those school districts.

Not telling you what to do, but just offering information based upon what was posted in the OP.

Also, for Rockland County, South Nyack would fit and essentially blends in with Nyack. South Nyack, NY - USA.com™
South Nyack, NY Population and Races - USA.com™
South Nyack, NY Historical Race Data - USA.com™
South Nyack, NY Income and Careers - USA.com™
South Nyack, NY Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™
I didn't forget about South Nyack, Mt. Vernon, Tuckahoe, and Pelham. I actually forgot to list them. But I did mention that towns around the ones listed would be considered as well. Appreciate the help though.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,212,434 times
Without knowing OP's budget for rental - so shooting a little in the dark -- Mt Vernon and Bronxville are apart as two extremes would be. Area in between, for example coops around Lincoln Avenue are kinda in between two extremes of a very large wealth gap.

Since you live close to Philly, you can come and look around in a (long) day.

I think the area around Lincoln Ave, with close proximity to MetroNorth at either Mt. Vernon or Pelham stop (which is more desirable) -- for a childless adult -- would work well.

Car Ownership is probably a requirement in these areas. Downtown New Rochelle would also work, so would White Plains, but I find both downtown undesirable at night to walk. That's the yardstick for me -- If I don't feel it pleasant to walk at night, it is not walkable. WP and NR are not. Port Chester is the same and Yonkers is even worse. Lincoln Ave actually provide a pleasant walkable center in the vicinity (Pelham).

Hartsdale and Mamaroneck apartments may be somewhat more expensive but they also provide better neighborhoods, and walkability.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,345 times
Hello, I grew up in Rockland majority of my young life (I’m 49 now) and have lived in Westchester since 2005. Reading what you are looking for perhaps first choice would be White Plains. It’s central and plenty of walkable establishments. The Metro North is there; catch the express and your in NYC in 30 minutes. Over the next five years there is going to be a surge of construction for residential properties in the center of White Plains. So that’s my two cents! Good luck for job & move...

Old 12-09-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:

Also, for Rockland County, South Nyack would fit and essentially blends in with Nyack. South Nyack, NY - USA.comâ„¢
South Nyack, NY Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
South Nyack, NY Historical Race Data - USA.comâ„¢
South Nyack, NY Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢
South Nyack, NY Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.comâ„¢
Some areas in both that may work or fit what you are looking for: Census Block Group 004800-3 in Westchester County, New York

Census Tract 005300 in Westchester County, New York
Census Tract 005300 in Westchester County, New York Population and Races
A block group in the census tract: Census Block Group 005300-1 in Westchester County, New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County