Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 08:41 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times

Advertisements

15 Jones Street could be in a flood zone, while 16 Jones Street is not. It's called elevation. Check the flood maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 06:23 AM

276 posts, read 397,870 times
Very hard to say without knowing the circumstances of the house. I would ask the following questions:
  • Was the house water intrusion-free in the basement in the prior five years?
  • Does the house have a backup generator?
  • Does the house have a sump pump that has been recently upgraded?
  • Is the house higher in elevation than most of the houses in the neighborhood?

If so, I would probably consider it. I would still insist on an inspection of the drainage system for the house (french drains, water diversion systems, dry well, etc.) and the basement for evidence of prior water intrusion.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:29 PM

54 posts, read 155,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_learner View Post
Dear KensingtonPark,

Thank you for your response. The remedial measures done could include working sum pumps and may be check valve in the sewer preventing the backup. However, if you have a 2ft deep river in the street I am not sure that the sum pumps help. Do you know of more efficient measures to protect the basement? Brick wall around the basement entrance? Sand bags around? Additional sum pumps?

Thanks.
I live on a hill in Mamaroneck, and my basement, with a sump pump and water catchment basins under my yard, took on water during Ida, because the rain fell so hard and so fast that my yard became a river, both because of the volume of water falling from the sky and the stormwater sewers that actually backed up onto my front lawn. My spouse and I were outside bailing out our basement window in the pouring rain, fruitlessly trying to keep it from flooding into our basement as water bubbled up from the drain at the bottom of the egress window because there was no where for the water to go below ground. There were houses near me on the bottom of the hill that had 6+ feet of water in their basement--the sandbags that they had put there did nothing to keep the water out, because it was just too much and the sandbags were overwhelmed.

Which is all to say that I don't think there was anything that could be done to have kept the water from basements during Ida--the volume of water that fell in such a short time meant that there was nowhere underground for the water to go, so it all just kept going up and up--and if your house was located somewhere that water pooled and rose, you were out of luck.

I don't mean to be so doom and gloom, but the aftermath of Ida for this whole area was devastating, and another storm like that will likely mean your basement (and mine, and all of our neighbors) will flood again. There's also the issue of both the Mamaroneck River and the Sheldrake River running through/under the Village of Mamaroneck which contributed to the massive flooding of the Village in Ida, and which the US Army Corp of Engineers has noted in a January 2022 fact sheet remain high flood risks.

I don't want to dissuade you from buying the house if you have your heart set on it, but the claims of the owners that the reason the basement flooded was because of malfunctioning sump pumps is bunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County