Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 12:40 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid some posters are being a little misleading about the advantages of being in Bronxville rather than Larchmont. Notice how you were only told about a movie theatre in New Rochelle and one Trader Joe's in Larchmont? That's because there is nothing else there except for a Stop and Shop in Larchmont on or near Weaver St. The other Stop and Shop in New Rochelle is closing, and there is one Shop-Rite, Costco and Home Depot, but that's mostly it. In Bronxville you will have close access to all the popular stores in the good sections of East Yonkers, Eastchester, Scarsdale (has two Trader Joe's!), and Hartsdale. In 2019, Scarsdale was rated the wealthiest town in the nation, with Bronxville at #8!

As far as the hospitals go, many in Westchester County have merged with the NYC hospitals, the hospital in Bronxville has merged with Columbia Presbyterian. When my friend had heart trouble, he was treated in Bronxville and by a surgeon in Columbia Presbyterian and they saved his life, it's Dr Oz's hospital and rated in the Top 10 in the entire nation! Go to another hospital in the county and you might be stuck with their merged partner in the Bronx, or way down in Manhattan someplace.
I don't even know where the Larchmont residents go for hospitalization, one hospital near there, United Hospital, in Port Chester, closed years ago. They must be using White Plains hospital or Greenwich Hospital in CT, others close by in New Rochelle are low rated, and Mt Vernon hospital will probably close. Perhaps they use the Bronx hospitals like Einstein? I have an elderly mom living with me, so I prefer to have a good choice of hospitals, and there are four close by in Bronxville,, without counting Westchester Medical Center or Phelps, which are a 20 minute parkway ride away.

I go to Larchmont/Mamaroneck lots of times in the summer, the Sound is beautiful and it's quiet, but for more everyday convenience, I would stick to the Bronxville side of town if I were you. The truth is you will be fine in any part of Westchester with few exceptions, although some parts have more convenience than others. Good Luck!

Last edited by wp169; 01-24-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 03:19 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I'm afraid some posters are being a little misleading about the advantages of being in Bronxville rather than Larchmont. Notice how you were only told about a movie theatre in New Rochelle and one Trader Joe's in Larchmont? That's because there is nothing else there except for a Stop and Shop in Larchmont on or near Weaver St. The other Stop and Shop in New Rochelle is closing, and there is one Shop-Rite, Costco and Home Depot, but that's mostly it. In Bronxville you will have close access to all the popular stores in the good sections of East Yonkers, Eastchester, Scarsdale (has two Trader Joe's!), and Hartsdale. In 2019, Scarsdale was rated the wealthiest town in the nation, with Bronxville at #8!

As far as the hospitals go, many in Westchester County have merged with the NYC hospitals, the hospital in Bronxville has merged with Columbia Presbyterian. When my friend had heart trouble, he was treated in Bronxville and by a surgeon in Columbia Presbyterian and they saved his life, it's Dr Oz's hospital and rated in the Top 10 in the entire nation! Go to another hospital in the county and you might be stuck with their merged partner in the Bronx, or way down in Manhattan someplace.
I don't even know where the Larchmont residents go for hospitalization, one hospital near there, United Hospital, in Port Chester, closed years ago. They must be using White Plains hospital or Greenwich Hospital in CT, others close by in New Rochelle are low rated, and Mt Vernon hospital will probably close. Perhaps they use the Bronx hospitals like Einstein? I have an elderly mom living with me, so I prefer to have a good choice of hospitals, and there are four close by in Bronxville,, without counting Westchester Medical Center or Phelps, which are a 20 minute parkway ride away.

I go to Larchmont/Mamaroneck lots of times in the summer, the Sound is beautiful and it's quiet, but for more everyday convenience, I would stick to the Bronxville side of town if I were you. The truth is you will be fine in any part of Westchester with few exceptions, although some parts have more convenience than others. Good Luck!
It sounds like you're claiming that Bronxville is superior because of hospitals and access to shopping, which I find funny. If you live in Larchmont you shop in Larchmont, Mamaroneck, White Plains, Scarsdale, New Rochelle...like everyone else, you will drive to nearby towns to do what you need to do. The sound shore area is very convenient and I'm not sure what this poster is talking about really.

If you are basing your house purchase on proximity to as many hospitals as possible, then you probably have some specific issues.

I personally would never feel comfortable in Bronxville and I don't like that area of the county. I will always prefer being close to the water if possible. To each their own. But to say Larchmont isn't as "convenient" as Bronxville is kind of laughable.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:56 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
It sounds like you're claiming that Bronxville is superior because of hospitals and access to shopping, which I find funny. If you live in Larchmont you shop in Larchmont, Mamaroneck, White Plains, Scarsdale, New Rochelle...like everyone else, you will drive to nearby towns to do what you need to do. The sound shore area is very convenient and I'm not sure what this poster is talking about really.

If you are basing your house purchase on proximity to as many hospitals as possible, then you probably have some specific issues.

I personally would never feel comfortable in Bronxville and I don't like that area of the county. I will always prefer being close to the water if possible. To each their own. But to say Larchmont isn't as "convenient" as Bronxville is kind of laughable.
Yes, I do rate Bronxville better in the hospital and shopping category than Larchmont. I am less than 10 minutes away from Stu Leonard's, Home Depot, Costco, Lowe's, Ridge Hill Shopping (parking fees), Cross County Shopping Center, Bed and Bath, Kohl's, Burlington, several furniture stores, etc, how can you compare that convenience with living in Larchmont and having to drive to congested White Plains to shop in department stores, pay for parking, etc? My friend lives in White Plains and says it's so crowded she wants to move.

I drive all over the county to go where I want, but others might not have time for it and want more convenience.

My mom is 91 years old, she's pretty good, only one health issue she needs meds for, but I like the close hospitals for her and my peace of mind, my health issue is worrying about her, lol. We go to Glen Island or Mamaroneck marina to walk around in the nice weather, we're over there at least three times weekly starting in spring, we like the water too!

Just having a little fun with you here, not being argumentative with you or anything like that! Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by wp169; 01-24-2020 at 06:06 PM..

Old 04-12-2020, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,834 times
I’m so glad I found this chat. I have been having the same questions between these two towns. I hadn’t looked at Pelham (mentioned above). Anyone else have thoughts there? I’m a single mom with two preteens girls. I love the city but the NYC highschool entrance process is too daunting. Any suggestions on new kids coming in at the preteen level? It’s not an easy age to come into a school where kids have been together for 10 years...any honest thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-12-2020, 10:58 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
My mom is 91 years old, she's pretty good, only one health issue she needs meds for, but I like the close hospitals for her and my peace of mind,
Are you having second thoughts now about living close to hospitals?

Old 05-01-2020, 06:10 PM

130 posts, read 191,428 times
Larchmont is a wonderful town. The public schools are top-notch, as well as the fact it is on the water. To me, there is no comparison with Bronxville since there is no water there. Take a drive down by Manor Park and then drive through Bronxville. Your mind will be made up that Larchmont is the place for you!

Old 05-10-2020, 08:17 AM

We actually did do the drive through both towns yesterday. The town of Larchmont looks much bigger. More shops and a big downtown. Bronxville felt more intimate. Not sure what’s better for a new incoming teenage girl?

We loved the water but is there access? Felt like you needed to have a waterfront mansion or join the yacht club to access the waters. We were only going by googlemaps so we probably missed a lot.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
I personally would never feel comfortable in Bronxville and I don't like that area of the county.

Hi Streetsmart, thanks for your comments. Everyone’s comments here are so helpful and give great things to think about. Just curious what you meant by you would never feel comfortable in Bronxville. Is there a particular culture that’s different to Larchmont? Or safety issues? Thank you in advance for any insight or opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County