Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2022, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,607 times

Advertisements

Hi! So my husband and I are from Argentina, we are looking to move to the US because of husbands work and we are considering Bronxville or Greenwich.. what would be the main differences between the two.. the “feel” of the towns, and which do you consider best to raise our newborn daughter..
Also if you think we should be considering somewhere else, I would be more than happy to hear about it!
I want to get an over all idea of what it’s like..
Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 07:43 PM

81 posts, read 85,198 times
Short answer: Bronxville wins if you care about commute to New York City, or if you care about being #1 on the official school rankings. Otherwise, Greenwich wins in every other category.

Greenwich is much larger. Bronxville is tiny. Bronxville has only a single school which covers all the grades from kindergarten to 12th grade, while Greenwich has multiple elementary schools plus multiple junior high schools plus a separate high school.

Greenwich feels much fancier, especially the downtown area which has excellent high-end shops and restaurants. Bronxville has a good number of shops and restaurants, but Greenwich wins easily.

Greenwich is directly on the water, and there are beaches and larger parks. Bronxville has nothing comparable.

Bronxville wins for commuting to New York City. Bronxville train is only 30 minutes to the city, but the Greenwich train is 45 minutes express (and the non-express train is over an hour. Also Greenwich has several different train stops, so if you're in Old Greenwich or Cos Cob then the train is longer still, plus there is no express).

If you care about competitive school rankings, Bronxville is considered better; though both school districts are perfectly fine.

Greenwich wins on taxes.

Greenwich has homes for every budget from cheap small apartments to gigantic $50 million estates. More importantly, they have homes for sale right now at each price point. Bronxville has a much smaller selection and there's only a couple homes for sale at any time. Those Bronxville homes also tend to be 50-100 years old yet still cost 2-4 million dollars. The same house in Greenwich would cost much less than it would in Bronxville.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:40 AM

317 posts, read 311,364 times
Taxes should be the main consideration. Property taxes in Greenwich are going to be half of those in Bronxville. Also, CT state income tax is capped at 7% versus 11% for NY.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:27 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times
Heapchk described it perfectly.

Bronxville has more sidewalks, even in residential areas. Meaning that you can walk to the train station and the shops and walk back home, which is what your typical suburban experience should be like.

Greenwich has a bigger downtown, however, the sidewalks end once you reach Route 1 and you will find dirt roads and gated communities.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:58 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaguina View Post
Hi! So my husband and I are from Argentina, we are looking to move to the US because of husbands work and we are considering Bronxville or Greenwich.. what would be the main differences between the two.. the “feel” of the towns, and which do you consider best to raise our newborn daughter..
Also if you think we should be considering somewhere else, I would be more than happy to hear about it!
I want to get an over all idea of what it’s like..
Thank you!!!!
One thing you may not be aware of coming from Argentina is that in New York State, postal mailing addresses don't mean much. In regards to Bronxville, you will find many properties that have Bronxville addresses, but are not "in" Bronxville. Instead, these properties (usually) will be in Yonkers. If you are interested in Bronxville, make sure you look at properties in the Bronxville School District.

Please note that for many people, the relative smallness of the Bronxville School District is a plus and not a minus. It is all personal preference. If one or more of the adults in the household will be commuting to NYC via train on a regular basis, Bronxville will be preferred to Greenwich, and this will trump everything else in my opinion. You just can not overstate the value of getting home at a reasonable hour, being able to wake up at a reasonable hour, ect. If you can afford Bronxville (with sufficient disposable income left over) and need to make the regular train commute, it is hard to imagine choosing Greenwich in my opinion. But many people can't afford to live in Bronxville, which is why many people suffer through longer commute times.

Old 11-03-2023, 03:25 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
Heapchk described it perfectly.

Bronxville has more sidewalks, even in residential areas. Meaning that you can walk to the train station and the shops and walk back home, which is what your typical suburban experience should be like.

Greenwich has a bigger downtown, however, the sidewalks end once you reach Route 1 and you will find dirt roads and gated communities.
I hope you are aware you are comparing Bronxville which doesn't have 1 square miles in total for the entire town land area with downtown Greenwich which covers an area of approximately 4.4 square miles.

It's very hard to say (I know very well both places) that Bronxville in fact has more sidewalks than Greenwich. The only way it might get ahead of Greenwich in this respect is if it's done on a percentage of the town's total land area. However, it's very likely that in fact Greenwich has more sidewalks than Bronxville. In fact, there are many residential streets in Bronxville that don't have sidewalks.

In Greenwich backcountry sidewalks are extremely rare and the few dirt roads in the municipality are found there, but that lives in backcountry already knows the big draw to a very large area is the more natural/country-ish look and feel. Nowhere in Bronxville is comparable. Anyone that is comparing Bronxville and Greenwich as places to live, it's very safe to assume they are referring to the non-backcountry parts of Greenwich.

Old 11-03-2023, 11:27 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
By the way, this part in the previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR
but that lives in backcountry
…is suppose to have a 'those' between 'but' and 'that,' plus the 's' at the end of 'lives' is not suppose to be there.

90% of my typos are those types where I think of all the words but for some reason I end up skipping one or two when typing the sentence. Never realize this until I re-read the post well after the time that it can be edited, of course. It can't be any other way. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County