Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,865,963 times

Advertisements

I've posted here before on similar topics. We're looking to move to the NY/CT border (on either side) in the spring. My DBF will be commuting into the city, so we want to be near any of these stations: Mt. Kisco, Bedford Hills, Katonah, Golden's Bridge, Purdy's, Croton Falls, Brewster and Southeast.

The most important factors are:
1. MTA parking. If we live within a few miles of the station, he'll bike, so there won't be a problem then, but otherwise, we need availability of parking within a 1/4 mile, guaranteed every day. But he won't be leaving the house until probably 10 or 11am, that might change, but we need to commute from a station that has parking left over after the morning rush, is the issue.
2. Crime. I want the safest area possible, but it doesn't have to be perfect. But do let me know where there are bad ares of towns, places to avoid, etc.
3. Availability of rentals. We want a single family with a backyard for under $2,000. We have dogs.
4. Quiet. I don't want to live somewhere too congested.

If you do live in these areas, here's a reference point. We spent a good deal of time in Connecticut last month and we fell in love with the Sherman/New Milford area, but we know that the commute from there would be too long. So if you know of any towns within the said area in NY, that have a similar feel to it, that would be great.

Tell me about the towns near these stations. We drove around a little bit last month, but we need to go back and look further. I have some familiarity with Somers (but I am not looking to live in Heritage Hills at all!), and we drove through Brewster which seemed fine. Tell me how you like it, how you think I'd like it, what is there to do, how's the commute, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
When you say a "single family" home under $2,000 - how many bedrooms?

Brewster and Southeast have become very grimy in recent years, I'd knock them off of your list. Out of the 8 towns you listed, Katonah is the nicest, but I doubt you'll be able to get a house under $2,000 there. Mount Kisco is more urban and walkable.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,894 times
I'd say Golden's Bridge, Purdy's, Croton Falls and Lewisboro are the best bets for a single family in the $2000 range, quiet, country, close to trains, etc. I believe Goldens Bridges has a huge station with lots of parking. Those are really long commutes, but I think you'd have to spend about 3K a month to get an actual house in Katonah, Bedford Hills, or anywhere more southern. If you're open to a condo or townhouse, you'd have more options.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,962 times
Default Southeast Is Not "Grimy"

The OP is probably long gone by now, but I stumbled across this post in a search and felt the need to correct a few misconceptions for anyone who might read it in the future.

As someone who was born and raised in Southeast, moved out a few years ago, and still has parents living there, I can tell you that Southeast and Brewster are two entirely different demographics, and Southeast is NOT "very grimy."

Brewster Village is part of the Town of Southeast, but Southeast is not part of Brewster. If you ask most people in Southeast where they live, they will probably say Brewster, but in fact Brewster is only one main street and a few side streets along Rte. 6 by the Brewster Metro-North station. Over the last two decades, Central American immigrants have displaced the locals from Brewster Village and transformed it into an ethnic neighborhood.

Southeast, on the other hand, is a spacious residential area outside of Brewster and is composed of middle- and upper-middle class families and professionals who commute to Lower Westchester or NYC. Most people who live in Southeast do not spend much time in Brewster. They tend to shop in the commercial developments along Rte. 312 and Rte. 22, not in Brewster Village. For entertainment, Southeast has a number of nice restaurants (from five-star to family friendly), a movie theater, two lakes, numerous reservoirs, an ice rink, several parks and playgrounds, hiking and biking opportunities, and working farms and orchards. For those who would like to venture into Brewster, there is a small museum, a library, and a theater troupe. About 15-20 minutes away in Danbury, CT, there are even more opportunities for shopping and entertainment, including a large mall, a big movieplex, night life, and lots of chain stores. The school district, called Brewster Central Schools but located in Southeast, is known to be good.

Southeast is a quiet, semi-rural community, and much of it is scenic. It's not unusual to find property overlooking water or undeveloped land. You can easily rent for under $2,000 a month, and now that the market has corrected, you can also buy in the $200-300k range. There's something for everybody, whether you want a starter home on a half acre, a McMansion in a development, or an authentic colonial on a sprawling property.

Southeast is unquestionably SAFE. It's true that there has been a rise in crime in Brewster Village, but it is contained within the village. The only crime you'll find in Southeast is the occasional rowdy teenager breaking a mailbox kind of stuff that happens in small towns everywhere. There hasn't even been an incident like that in my parents' neighborhood in 15 years. People here are polite and friendly but not busybodies.

The MTA station in Brewster Village has limited parking, but the Southeast station has a huge commuter lot. If you live in Southeast and never want to set foot in Brewster, you don't have to.

To sum up, Southeast is not Brewster, although it has been much maligned by its association with that village. It is an affordable, safe, attractive, convenient town. If you want a walkable, picture postcard downtown, then it's not for you. But if your main concern is to have a nice house on a nice piece of property and access to good schools and recreation, then you'll be happy here.

Last edited by Town'n'Country; 03-11-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County