Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 08:34 PM

96 posts, read 407,462 times

Advertisements

So I've been a westchester lifer, barring a short stint in Brooklyn during my childhood years. Anyway I love the outdoors, but also the city and everything. I'm 25 now, looking to move out and buy or rent an apartment. I've been taking increasing interest in Croton on the Hudson. The prices seems real good, and the town seems cool, and its still an ok ride into the city on the poughipsie line.

Now I'm not a crazy partier, but I guess as a 25 year old right now, will the area bore me? I like to have coffee, be outside, relax, occasionally go into Manhattan for a play or concert. I work right over the Tap. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
I really like Croton and think it is great. But when I was 25 it would have bored me to death! It has some nice restaurants, a good coffee house, one or two live music venues, and is really close to great parks and nature reserves. But for a person your age I don't think it will be very exciting. Have you considered Peekskill? That still has access to great outdoor amenities but there is much more going on--and you'll find more people your own age.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 AM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
We've been looking in Croton alot, seems like a great place for my family--- But I don't think it would have been for me when i was single and 25. If you're already working on the other side of the Tappan Zee, have you given any thought to Nyack?

Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 AM

96 posts, read 407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I really like Croton and think it is great. But when I was 25 it would have bored me to death! It has some nice restaurants, a good coffee house, one or two live music venues, and is really close to great parks and nature reserves. But for a person your age I don't think it will be very exciting. Have you considered Peekskill? That still has access to great outdoor amenities but there is much more going on--and you'll find more people your own age.

Everyone is really really high on Peekskill... I guess my experiences there are limited. What's so great?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowloris View Post
Everyone is really really high on Peekskill... I guess my experiences there are limited. What's so great?
There's another thread on that very topic. Check it out...

I don't think Peekskill is for everyone. I personally love visiting it but don't want to live in a town. And it is on the urban/funky side, which does not appeal to everyone. But for a 25 year old I think it offers more than most Westchester towns--there are music venues, theaters, an art scene--and it has a larger than usual population of young artists and other 'creative types.' It may not be for you, but it is worth checking out.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 AM

25 posts, read 110,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowloris View Post
What's great about Peekskill you ask, I dunno. I'd have thought that if one was going to be bored in Croton, they're just as likely to be bored in Peekskill. Someone alluded in a different thread to it being the "East Village" of Westchester, which is simply a distortion of reality.

Look, Peekskill has it's good points, I suppose, mainly in regards to the relative "cheapness" of housing, and a true down to earth personality, but then there are the negatives as well. For one, the downtown is dumpy and a lot of the central areas are just aesthetically unappealing, there's a lot of the "ghetto element" in and around the downtown at most times of the day and the schools, in terms of academic achievement, rank close to Yonkers and Mount Vernon.

I would have advised the OP to stick to areas further south (better access to the city) but since he mentioned being outdoorsy, then Croton is as good a choice as any.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:03 AM

Pin Pong Ball,
Peeksill certainly has negatives, but it's postives far outweigh them for many people. It depends on what you want. If you want an art museum, galleries, cool restaurants, a great coffee house, a real bookstore, a performing arts center, live music every weekend, a community of artists, regular art events, a tremendous number of great victorian and early 1900's houses, a diverse community and a sense of urban hipness, then Peekskill is a great place. If those things aren't important to you, then it is not the right place.

Regarding Croton vs. Peeksill, I really like both and I'd recomend each to different people. To a single 25 year old, I'd suggest Peekskill, which definitely does have more going on.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 13,836 times
Default croton

I am from Ossining 6 miles from Croton... I grew up in Ossining we actually food shopped in Croton (at Shoprite). Croton is awesome! it is slow? aint nuttin happenin in Croton.. .but if you can appreciate that (like me) You will love living in Croton!
God Bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County