Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50 PM

701 posts, read 3,325,858 times

Advertisements

I am not a big fan of renting before buying. In most cases, the cons outweigh the pros. Renting is ultimately more expensive than buying since you don't get the mortgage write-off on your taxes. You are going through the trouble and expense of moving multiple times. And to the extent you are testing an area, often rentals tend to be in the less desirable parts of town.

The pros of testing a region with a rental make sense when you have no other way to explore an area, like if you are moving across the country.

But if contemplating a move from NYC to Westchester, you can get a good feel with some strategic visits to the towns. Sure, it won't be the same as living there. But with some good research and exploration, you can head off major surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM

30 posts, read 125,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
I am not a big fan of renting before buying. In most cases, the cons outweigh the pros. Renting is ultimately more expensive than buying since you don't get the mortgage write-off on your taxes. You are going through the trouble and expense of moving multiple times. And to the extent you are testing an area, often rentals tend to be in the less desirable parts of town.

The pros of testing a region with a rental make sense when you have no other way to explore an area, like if you are moving across the country.

But if contemplating a move from NYC to Westchester, you can get a good feel with some strategic visits to the towns. Sure, it won't be the same as living there. But with some good research and exploration, you can head off major surprises.

Thanks, that's true. But we've rented for years and years in the city and have foregone the advantages of the tax deduction, so that doesn't worry us too much. We feel we need to rent because it is too hard to try to figure out what towns might be right for us without actually being up there and getting to know the area. But the biggest reason is that there is no way of knowing how you will feel about the commute unless you actually are doing it. My husband works really long hours and we're just not sure how all this is going to work.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:06 PM

701 posts, read 3,325,858 times
I can understand all that. We are going through something similar, as my wife contemplates changing jobs. And given those reasons, renting might make sense. Just remember, some towns have vibrant available rentals. In other towns, there is often a limited rental market, often in the worse parts of town. So just keep that in mind.
As to testing the commute, you are right-- It will be difficult to evaluate until your family has actually gone through it over an extended stretch. Though I would suggest, when you have built a preference for a given community, try staying overnight nearby and doing the actual commute.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:56 PM

201 posts, read 727,524 times
I dont' think you can go wrong with Larchmont. We were looking and went into a few for sale by owner's houses and they were priced from low to high. Mostly Larchmont families were there and everyone we met were down to earth and very nice. If you can afford Larchmont go for it!! Another town I really love but maybe private schools would be needed is Tarrytown. I think my 2 favorite towns are Larchmont & Tarrytown.
GOOD LUCK!!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,847 times
I think your husband has the right idea to rent for a year before buying.
Westchester is a beautiful county with many great places, with many lovely quaint towns, especially along the Hudson river.
If you looking for something with "side walks" you need to look in and around White Plains, Hartsdale, Scarsdale, Tuckahoe, Bronxville.
All great commuter towns with lots of former new york city folks.
You will have the close proximity to NYC, yet you will feel like you living the country.
If you rent here first you will have the opportunity to see for yourself which one you prefer, the sidewalks or the quaint slow paced areas.
Good luck.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:21 AM

94 posts, read 330,646 times
jennly, did you ever move? if so, where? how do you like it?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,352 times
Hi My husband has a job at new world trade centre starting in March 2010. We are going to be relocating from Ireland with three children aged 13, 9 and 2. I am not used to city living and would be grateful if anyone could suggest a safe place with good schools and plenty of parks to move to. Countryside is a big plus if this is possible, commuting time maybe an hour. Is this possible.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM

151 posts, read 605,064 times
Poppybailey,

First, Welcome to NY and Welcome to the neighborhood!

Is your husband in construction? 1 hour from Grand Central puts you at the Croton Harmon train station on the Hudson Line or Mt. Kisco on the Harlem Line. Then you have to figure in travel time from the house to the station. If you are trying to get one hour total, you may just have to move a few stations south, but then you end up with more Village/City structure than countryside, though there are plenty of places further south that will fit the countryside image, they are very expensive. You can easily be looking at $700k plus for something with 1/2 acre or less (0.20234315 Hectare)

Moving a bit farther north will give you the same price point on an acre plus (0.4046863 Hectare) or you can drop considerably in price to the $300k - $500k range.

Larry Jensen
But to be very honest, I would highly encourage you to rent for 6 months first and use this time to explore communities and schools you like. There is just so much each town has to offer that trying to buy something from afar or in a shot period of time is not the best approach.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 PM

23 posts, read 97,539 times
Hi ! I realize you are looking in Westchester but if you are open to it , Pearl River would be a place you would fit in as the town is mostly Irish where there are many families that moved here from Ireland. You would have to check into the commute . You can even find some foods from Ireland right at the supermarket. Its very family oriented with great schools. I cant say enough good things about it.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yothisisit View Post
Hi ! I realize you are looking in Westchester but if you are open to it , Pearl River would be a place you would fit in as the town is mostly Irish where there are many families that moved here from Ireland. You would have to check into the commute . You can even find some foods from Ireland right at the supermarket. Its very family oriented with great schools. I cant say enough good things about it.
The problem is the commute to Manhattan, which is made unbearable by having to get across the Hudson River. Better to stay in Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County