Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 AM

701 posts, read 3,324,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grollings View Post
I'm looking for something with a view of water surrounded by mountains--like back home. A place that has a cute downtown area that you can walk to with nice restaurants, coffee shops, quaint shops, etc. An organic market nearby would be nice too.

Is it possible?
If commuting to Manhattan is not a daily requirement, I'd add Nyack and Piermont to your list, as they fit your description pretty nicely. Being only 20 miles from Manhattan, they have good city access for the occasional leisure visit, but because they lack a good rail line, daily rush hour commuting is a real headache.

The problem with most of the Westchester river front, is that the rail line runs along the river, cutting off most of the waterfront property. (With a few exceptions: For example, Croton has some luxury waterfront townhomes). But in Nyack and Piermont, you will find waterfront apartments and condos far more affordable than in Westchester. Nyack is an older town, which has been re-born as a center of antique shops, restaurants, arts, quaint shops. While no real huge mountains, you can walk to the Hook Mountain State Park. Go further north, and you have Bear Mountain. Piermont is somewhat similar, but a bit more upscale with a better school district. I would consider the towns a bit less isolated than Cold Spring as well, in my opinion.

As you also said any waterfront town would suit you, you can also look in Westchester on the LI Sound. Specifcially, Larchmont and Mamaroneck have nice walkable downtowns (with Larchmont being more upscale), and they have waterfront on the LI Sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM

57 posts, read 244,019 times
Good call on Piermont. It's sort of like a smaller, poor man's Sausalito in Marin.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

22 posts, read 76,206 times
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard good things about Larchmont as well. I'll be sure to check it out!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,078 times
i grew up in Dobbs Ferry, a great rivertown and close to NYC and lived in Tarrytown for several yrs. Tarrytown is a great town with much to do and it has a great downtown area with cute antique shops, restuarants, etc...You should check out Irvington as well.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM

133 posts, read 466,420 times
Tarrytown. It is a beautiful historic town that has excellent train service to Manhattan. Many of the rush hour trains do not stop at all between T'town and GCT.

As for night life, you can go to the city (35min) or White Plains is easy to get to because you are right near 287 and there is decent bus service between the two towns.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 PM

38 posts, read 125,493 times
try a condo
Halfmoonbay in Croton on Hudson
or if you re looking for single life... White plains or Ct...

Old 07-07-2010, 03:16 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grollings View Post
Could someone please give me some feedback on the river towns?

I'm moving from northern California and LOVE the outdoors and being near the water. I'm also a single female professional (40 years old) with twin toddlers. I've heard some wonderful things about Tarrytown and Cold Spring, but a few people have told me if I move there I'll be too isolated as a single. Is this true?

Thanks so much!!!
Well, those two towns are very different and very far away from each other. I live in Irvington, just south of Tarrytown. Tarrytown is close to Manhattan, just 35 minutes on the train, while Cold Spring (which I like very much) is over an hour.

I love being near the river, which is NOT cut off by rail as someone else said. Most of our parks are right on the river, and there are a ton of good restaurants and nice villages as well.

Funny, I didn't come on this forum to get business for my wife but if you need a RE broker in the Rivertowns she can help you. Contact me if you'd like and I can put you two in touch.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 PM

86 posts, read 277,379 times
From what you are describing I'd say add Hastings on Hudson to your list. Hastings would give you several of the criteria you seek...better proximity to the city and water...and to a degree mountainous views. The view of the Hudson cliffs from Hastings are an awesome sight. I moved to southern Westchester from so. California late last year. Very happy with the move - although you bring up a good point with the desire to not feel isolated...and it's good foresight on your part. If I had been further north I think I would have just 'felt' too far from the city. And being in Hastings would give you a straight shot to NYC down the Saw Mill if you are driving, or similar by train. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County