Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,940 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are being relocated to the NYC area and need to find housing. The caveat is he will have an office in Manhattan ( I think in Chelsea) and will also have to report to Fort Lee, NJ. I think the time in the 2 different offices will be split evenly. We are looking to rent since we will only be in NY/NJ for 2 years and would like to keep the rent under 2K for a 2 bedroom. He starts this job in May and I have been looking but need some advice about where to concentrate my search. He is willing to commute 45 min. a day and we are not that particular on picking a city or a town. My family is from Harrison and New Rochelle and I would love to move there but what would the commute be like. My husband will need to drive to work everyday. Many of his co-workers who have been assigned to NY are choosing to live in NJ but I rather stay on the NY side if at all possible. I know my budget is low but hopefully with the housing market, we can cash in on a good deal. Coming from Boston, it kills me to be spending that much on rent! It is such a waste.
Can anyone out there suggest a nice town to live in where the commute will not be horrible to both Fort Lee and Manhattan and is in our price range? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I would suggest that you SERIOUSLY consider New Jersey. SERIOUSLY. Or Rockland County on the other side of the Hudson.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,940 times
That is what I have been hearing! I wanted to be close to my family but I heard you get more bang for your buck there. Any suggestions on towns?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Fort Lee itself is not bad at all, and the rents are not too outrageous either. Parts of Yonkers are nice if you want to stay in Westchester, but stay closer to Bronxville (near Cross County, Midland Road area) as opposed to the downtown/waterfront which has some pockets of bad areas.

Even in Fort Lee, you're not terribly far from your family in Westchester, so it's practical to go a few times a week. It's roughly 20 minutes to New Rochelle and 30 to Harrison from Fort Lee (at off-peak GWB hours).

The other suggestion would be to stay in NYC, in the Riverdale section of The Bronx. It's close to Fort Lee, and has easy access via the Henry Hudson Parkway to the West Side Highway to get to Chelsea. Plus, it's not that far from your family in Westchester, and you don't have to contend with bridge traffic to go to/from. You're about 15 minutes to New Rochelle and a little over 20 minutes to Harrison from Riverdale.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:24 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,584 times
The only "plus" on commuting to Fort Lee from Westchester, is that you would be going against traffic over the bridge. But realistically, if spending half your time in Fort Lee, and you need to drive anyway, then New Jersey makes the most sense.

If you want to "split the difference," Rockland County could make sense. From Rockland, it's about 20-40 minutes to Fort Lee, depending on traffic and exact starting point. Obviously, it will take longer to get down to Chelsea. And from Rockland, if you're visiting New Rochelle or Harrison, during low traffic times (not going to visit during rush hour), then it's only 20-30 minutes.

Within Rockland, in your price range, you might find a nice rental in Pearl River, Nyack, Piermont, Nanuet.

If you really want to be in Westchester, you might want to focus on Tarrytown. Still pretty close for a direct drive into the city, right at the the TZ, to cross over and drive down to Fort Lee.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Another option may be the Harlem in the neighborhood of 175 street, which is next to GW bridge. Your husband would have an uncomplicated ride and you will be just across the bridge. I heard about some nice apartments there, but cost may be above your budget.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,305 times
Without a doubt... Inwood, the very last neighborhood in northern Manhattan. It's 15 minutes from Fort Lee using the Henry Hudson Parkway and GWB. It's the last exit on the HHP before Riverdale so you don't have to pay that toll (if you were considering Riverdale). Chelsea can be a 25 minute drive on a great day, or 35-40 minutes on a normal day. The A and 1 trains take 40 minutes door to door if you wanted to take the subway. Easy street parking. Beautiful huge parks, woods, nature center, great community. 7 minute drive to 87N, 15 minutes to Cross Bronx Expressway.

Last edited by eaglewatch; 02-17-2009 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I wouldn't call the street parking easy. And it can easily take the greater part of an hour to get to Chelsea. Remember, it's NORTH of the GW bridge. And the Cross Bronx Expwy, under the apartments, is NOTORIOUS for delays. I've lived there and it's not the picture you've painted.

I would still urge you to seriously consider NJ, as you can also avoid the NYC income tax that way, too.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,305 times
Sorry about that. We have a theater work schedule, so it's a great commuting neighborhood for the non- 9-5-ers. You're right, it would take a lot longer during traditional rush hours. I do avoid passing the GWB during those times.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 16,030 times
Stay out of NJ as most anyone that lives out there goes into panic mode as soon as two snowflakes rub toghether. Basically commuting to and from NJ stinks. Access to all those riverfront apartments in Edgewater or Ft Lee is via a two lane road which everyone must drive to get to the bridge or the train - sloooooowwwwwww.... both ways.......
If you are ok with apartment living, look into the Riverfront Apartment complex in Yokers - great views, 25 min Metro North ride into Grand Central, 35+ minute drive to midtown, and someone told me they are having a tough time filling those appts. due to the economy - so it is a great time to push your real estate agent around. Also, they are a 15 minute drive from the GW Bridge to NJ if you must go there.
Failing that you will not find much for 2k in lower Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County