Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:05 PM

173 posts, read 351,845 times

Advertisements

Hi, All - we're both in our 40s and work in the city, but we love living someplace with more green space (preferably not with a suburban feel, though, if that makes any sense) and a kinder, gentler sensibility. If it were an area that was kind of artsy/"green" (i.e. Farmer's Markets, Whole Foods, etc., music scene), that would be a dream. We're laid back and friendly but still kind of nerdy/intellectual, and would love to find someplace to put down roots - we'd likely look for a house rather than a townhouse/condo, and be able to spend in the $800k range. Any input would be hugely appreciated.

Last edited by Meglion; 06-29-2009 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: School system is not important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would say that Hastings comes very close to your description, though there's no Whole Foods, but there are organic markets, and WF is in White Plains, not terribly far away. Irvington is great as well, though parts of it can be a little more stuffy since there is an older money contingent still left in Irvington, and it's not as artsy as some of the other towns along the river. Dobbs Ferry might also be worth a look as well.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:10 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
I agree that Hastings would be a good choice, or even Tarrytown for the matter. The river towns definitely have the vibe that your looking for, but bmwguydc is spot on when he says there is an "older money" contingent still left in Irvington (and its not for the best IMO).

There are a few other places you guys can check out like Mamaroneck, or Pelham (there is a great art center there).

One place that instantly came up in my head to suggest was Nyack, its a wondeful town but its located on the other side of the river in Rockland.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,156 times
Hastings and Pelham are really suburban, albeit greenish.

Have you looked at Pleasantville?

Nyack, and the surrounding area, is artsy and less suburban. But the commute is horrendous.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,025 times
Default Us too

I am one half of a lesbian couple in our 30's and we just bought a house in Dobbs Ferry for the same reasons you are stating. As for music/art/etc- not so much. But, come on, we are living a train ride away from the city. The river towns are picturesque and it's hard to resist their charm. The nightlife will take place at neighbor's houses or in your own backyard, most likely. We're having a lot of fun though, fixing up our house and figuring out the town.
Best of Luck!
- The other lesbian couple in Westchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
Hi, All - we're both in our 40s and work in the city, but we love living someplace with more green space (preferably not with a suburban feel, though, if that makes any sense) and a kinder, gentler sensibility. If it were an area that was kind of artsy/"green" (i.e. Farmer's Markets, Whole Foods, etc., music scene), that would be a dream. We're laid back and friendly but still kind of nerdy/intellectual, and would love to find someplace to put down roots - we'd likely look for a house rather than a townhouse/condo, and be able to spend in the $800k range. Any input would be hugely appreciated.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM

173 posts, read 351,845 times
Thanks, everyone! It's starting to look like we're going to look further north - the Croton-on-Hudson area, I think, so we can get more land/house with lower taxes and not feel like we're on top of someone else. lc_nycity: do you like Dobbs Ferry? Is it what you'd hoped it would be? Living by the water is not so important, but being near a train is, and I'd like not to be more than 50 minutes from where I live currently (Warwick). That means Pleasantville and Mt. Kisco are a little too far. I'll likely re-post since we're widening our search a bit.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 AM

10 posts, read 28,006 times
You have been given some good suggestions on where to buy a home here in Westchester. At the price range you are looking in you can write your own ticket. I would also suggest Cortlandt Manor, Putnam Valley, Yorktown, Peekskill. Peekskill is a gay friendly place. What I would suggest you do is spend a few days in each of the places and see what suits you best. Nobody can tell you what place is best because you are the ones who have to live with your choice. I would even suggest renting something in the area and then see what its like before you make a final decision. Landlords here are very open to gay couples and singles. Being a landlord, I would rather have gay couples or single . They have always been the best tenants. Mod cut: no soliciting.Good Luck with your search

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-11-2009 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Soliciting

Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,025 times
Default Dobbs Ferry

I do like Dobbs Ferry.

I miss the diversity of races and cultures of the city- but all in all I do like it.
It's small towny, and so far the people have been nothing but friendly to us.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
I agree with renting before buying...even if for a short period of time: it'll allow you to see which exact area appeals to you the most.

Before buying...we rented in White Plains (def. not what you are looking for). We would spend all of our time exploring restaurants and different main streets of neighborhoods. It's much easier to do a bit every day than come up on weekends if you are living in NYC (which we were).

I also agree with looking on the West side. The train commute is easy & it's a bit more green & earthy. Generally, the farther North you go, the longer the commute to NYC, but the more you can get for the $$. In addition to what is written here, Tarrytown is very cute.

I'd say most of westchester is open-minded.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:31 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
I know you said lower Westchester but if you were open to another suggestion I would highly recommend Nyack. It's artsy, cuturally enrich, Farmer's Markets, and tons of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County