Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM

7 posts, read 22,975 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Westchester and are realistic about what towns we can and cannot afford. We recognize that we can get more for our money in New Rochelle and White Plains vs. Scarsdale, Rye or Rye Brook. I have read a lot about the George Davis school in New Rochelle and am hoping to see if anyone had any personal experiences with this school and how it compares to the William Ward School. Also, I was hoping for honest feedback about the New Rochelle high school system. At the same time, I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions about what towns compare to New Rochelle (we are looking in the mid $500s) in space, price and school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 11:22 AM

375 posts, read 1,576,744 times
As you have already discovered, those two schools are in the more affluent part of New Rochelle, near Hutchinson Pkwy. Although I don't know the market well in New Rochelle, I would imgine anything at that price range will be something at the very lower end of the single family spectrum. And I'm not sure if there are co-ops or condos in that area that would fit better in that budget.

And generally speaking, unless you go further up north, you're going to have a tough time finding a decent single family house in a well regarded district for that budget. You're more in the co-op or condo price range (which will be less than mid $500K for the most part).

Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Actually, I should take back what I said... it seems there are some pickings at that price range... I should've checked before I posted the above.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 PM

28 posts, read 117,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
Actually, I should take back what I said... it seems there are some pickings at that price range... I should've checked before I posted the above.
Yes, there are some pickings at that range but having looked at a lot of them they really do leave something to be desired.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoA View Post
Yes, there are some pickings at that range but having looked at a lot of them they really do leave something to be desired.
Yes, I wanted to correct myself because technically, there is some ok inventory, but still at that price range, nothing I would feel good about buying for my family. I'm in that range myself and I find that in general, in a decent school district, you'll do better with either a co-op or a condo, and save up few more years for a house you can feel good about... which starts to happen more at $750K range.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM

19 posts, read 92,046 times
i live in new rochelle and went through the school system i also live in the north end. the elementry schools and one of the middle schools is decent but after that its all down hill X( mamaroneck larchmont pelham is just a better deal for your money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County